• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I hope the Angels go after Donaldson

beatlesrule

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Using that $8M per WAR is kinda stupid. Trout would make $80M/yr...

i'm not a fan of WAR, but the dollar evaluation works normally, in trout's case it just shows how off the charts he is.

it would be really interesting to see a scatter chart of all mlb players. i'd bet there would be a massive blur in the middle, then outliers, and then trout.

normally, that information would be indicative of a crime.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

i'm not a fan of WAR, but the dollar evaluation works normally, in trout's case it just shows how off the charts he is.

it would be really interesting to see a scatter chart of all mlb players. i'd bet there would be a massive blur in the middle, then outliers, and then trout.

normally, that information would be indicative of a crime.

Cron is due to make between 4 and 5 million in 2019. At $8M per WAR he should make $16M.

36 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Cron is due to make between 4 and 5 million in 2019. At $8M per WAR he should make $16M.

you may have a fair point, but keep in mind that WAR values offensive production and defense. most are surprised to know that cron grades out above avg as a fielder and he hits for power. the defense part is key, because that is raising his WAR value, which may skew it economically in your eyes.

i understand 1b power is an easy get now for the dollar, but WAR doesn't consider the economic climate. although, as i said, you make a fair point.

Free agency WAR to salary needs to be like dog years, where when a dog is one years old they are one years old.  Then starting at one they start aging 7 times faster. So maybe it’s $4 million for a 2 WAR player then start adding a crazy amount of dollars per win above 2.  I don’t think people would bitch about paying a 3 win player $12 million but paying a 2 win player $8 million seems absurd.  

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

9 hours ago, ukyah said:

you may have a fair point, but keep in mind that WAR values offensive production and defense. most are surprised to know that cron grades out above avg as a fielder and he hits for power. the defense part is key, because that is raising his WAR value, which may skew it economically in your eyes.

i understand 1b power is an easy get now for the dollar, but WAR doesn't consider the economic climate. although, as i said, you make a fair point.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Free agency WAR to salary needs to be like dog years, where when a dog is one years old they are one years old.  Then starting at one they start aging 7 times faster. So maybe it’s $4 million for a 2 WAR player then start adding a crazy amount of dollars per win above 2.  I don’t think people would bitch about paying a 3 win player $12 million but paying a 2 win player $8 million seems absurd.  

$ per WAR is an average. It will bend at the upper and lower tiers of player quality, which is why CJ Cron is a $5M defensively poor DH.