• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I hope the Angels go after Donaldson

beatlesrule

at least on a short term deal.  He is a great player when healthy and all indications are that he's not seeking a long term contract.  MLBTR is guessing a 1 year 20 million deal but maybe a 2/30 million dollar contract with the 2nd year being an option would be enough. After becoming a full time player, his "worst" year (not counting last year)was 2017 and he produced a 4.8 WAR. What kind of contract do you think he ultimately gets? I'd hate for the Angels to let another 3rd baseman slip on by. Then again, if Arte really will only spend 30 million max this offseason, Donaldson at 15 million wouldn't leave room to be able to afford many other areas of need.  Wishful thinking I guess.  Too bad Arte doesn't want to surround Trout with the best talent possible.  He could easily afford Donaldson and sure up other areas and still not go over the luxury tax if he wanted to.  Come close sure but he wouldn't go over it. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/donaljo02.shtml

I feel like Josh Donaldson is going to absolutely erupt in 2019. The talent is still there, but this guy is extremely confident and also just happens to be a good teammate. He hates that he isn't being paid as much money as two players he thinks he's as good as in Bryce Harper and Manny Machado.

Someone is going to sign him on a one or two year "show me" deal and are going to benefit from it. 

I wish the Angels were that team. But Eppler has other plans. 

If you could get him for 2 years and $30 million you almost have to find a way to work that into the budget.  He has the chance to be a 4 win player for $15 million or so.  I guess one way to make it happen would be to do 2 years, $30 million and have the first year be closer to $10-12 million.  That means the pitching acquisition would be more along the lines of Matt Harvey versus Eovaldi type.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you could get him for 2 years and $30 million you almost have to find a way to work that into the budget.  He has the chance to be a 4 win player for $15 million or so.  I guess one way to make it happen would be to do 2 years, $30 million and have the first year be closer to $10-12 million.  That means the pitching acquisition would be more along the lines of Matt Harvey versus Eovaldi type.  

I think he's going to take a Cespredes type of deal. Probably one year and 20 million with a team option for a second year at 25 million.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I want Donaldson, too.

however, how would you suggest doing this? 

stay away from the top of the free agents pitching market or expand payroll a bit or both.  

if Josh is 1/17
Happ 2/20
Buchholz 1/7

It would mean you roll with Herm as your 4th OFer and you likely can't afford even a cheap catcher.  Even if you add Suzuki at 1/4 and you pay Happ 9m in the first year then you're at about +37 mil.  Or you do a 1+1 with 14m in the first year and a 3m buyout.  

He made 23 million last year so I don't think the paycut could be too drastic.  It's only 1 off/injured year so he doesn't have too much to prove. If Arte would spend 60 million, that's easily enough to get Donaldson and some SP and a 2nd baseman and catcher. But yeah, if he's not willing to, Donaldson would only upgrade 1 position with little left to be able to afford to upgrade the rest. Couldn't Fletcher play 2nd if we got Donaldson? That would negate the need to spend money on a FA 2nd baseman.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

He made 23 million last year so I don't think the paycut could be too drastic.  It's only 1 off/injured year so he doesn't have too much to prove. If Arte would spend 60 million, that's easily enough to get Donaldson and some SP and a 2nd baseman and catcher. But yeah, if he's not willing to, Donaldson would only upgrade 1 position with little left to be able to afford to upgrade the rest.

we could probably end up spending about 40m and improve the team a fair amount.  At that point, I'd be fine with whoever we throw out at 2b.  We could still get some SP upgrades but not from the top of the market and grab a guy like Suzuki.  

17 minutes ago, Lou said:

I don't think there's a chance in hell we can get Happ for 2/20

probably as I think he stays a yankee.  but their will be someone like that who's going to take a lesser deal  Like Gio.  Or we can grab Kikuchi for 5/50.  Or someone that other people here would hate in Derek Holland who had a 3.57 era with 169k in 171.1 ip.  

Cast a wide net at the end of free agency.  

Guy is practically guaranteed to come to the Angels with his fuc*ked back and bat like .230 with 15 homers.  This kind of shit is written in the stars for the Angels.  How many times do we need to see it happen ? They have a cheap decent prospect that they can and should give a shot.  Crazy.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

probably as I think he stays a yankee.  but their will be someone like that who's going to take a lesser deal  Like Gio.  Or we can grab Kikuchi for 5/50.  Or someone that other people here would hate in Derek Holland who had a 3.57 era with 169k in 171.1 ip.  

Cast a wide net at the end of free agency.  

Leery about Holland, as he struggled the previous years, couldn’t his season be attributed to pitching in very pitching friendly Pac Bell Park and in the NL?