• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$30 Million Off Season, how do YOU spend it?

Stradling

There are literally a million opinions on this ranging from all pitching to all hitting to a balance of both.  I go back and forth in my mind of how I would spend it.  But at 9:35 pm on November 8th here is what I would do:

Keuchel 5 years and $80 million with only $12 million of it being paid this year.

Daniel Murphy 2 years $20 million with $10 million being paid this year

Kurt Suzuki 1 year $3 million

Tony Sipp 1 year $5 million

I would run with Fletcher is the Utility guy, getting regular reps in the outfield as well.  Murphy would play 2nd or 3rd with Cozart manning the other one.  Ward would also be on the big club if they can find enough at bats for him.  

What would you do?  

I’d give Marwin Gonzales 4 years and 60 million.  He’s a Swiss Army knife and a solid hitter that the Angels need desperately.   I’d roll the dice on Matt Harvey and give him the same deal.  4 years 60 million. He’s 29, appears healthy and I think his upside is substantial.  His velocity looked good in Cincinnati.  He has a lot to prove.  

30 million.  

Id trade for a catcher and another pitcher. 

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There are literally a million opinions on this ranging from all pitching to all hitting to a balance of both.  I go back and forth in my mind of how I would spend it.  But at 9:35 pm on November 8th here is what I would do:

Keuchel 5 years and $80 million with only $12 million of it being paid this year.

Daniel Murphy 2 years $20 million with $10 million being paid this year

Kurt Suzuki 1 year $3 million

Tony Sipp 1 year $5 million

I would run with Fletcher is the Utility guy, getting regular reps in the outfield as well.  Murphy would play 2nd or 3rd with Cozart manning the other one.  Ward would also be on the big club if they can find enough at bats for him.  

What would you do?  

Good luck getting Keuchel for 16 mil aav. Can you find any prediction site that lists him taking that little? 18 would be on the low side, I’d imagine, and I can’t see him going as low as 12 next season regardless of aav. 

Suzuki: 1 year/$5 million

Descalco: 1 year/$2 million

Kikuchi: 6 years/$42 million per MLB Trade Rumors estimate + $8 million as a posting fee 

Morton: 2/$32 million

Morton was flirting with retirement this year so I feel skeptical that he'll leave Houston. But he's got great stuff, doesn't cost a draft pick and is unlikely to require more than 2 or 3 years. Kikuchi's a gamble but if he's even an average pitcher for most of that contract, he's a bargain. The Boras representation makes me figure his AAV will be higher than what I've got estimated but what the hell, we're just guessing. Descalco's coming off his best offensive season and offers mediocre defense everywhere. That's better than we got from Marte or Valbuena and he's cheap. Suzuki's the fallback assuming Realmuto costs too much; I agree with Jeff Fletcher's assessment of the Angels' overall reluctance to bet big on over-30 catchers.

I want to give Fletcher every opportunity to earn a starting spot. He's never drawn great scouting reports and even after last season, he earns more skepticism than praise. But his defense was terrific at 2 positions, he held his own at the plate and he just looks like the kind of smart, instinctive player who's always a touch better than the sum of his parts. Maicer Izturis was like that. Marwin's a more exciting option than Descalco but he's probably going to cost 3/$30 at a minimum and it's entirely possible that he already peaked. Per Fangraphs, Fletcher put up more WAR than Gonzalez in 65 fewer games. I wouldn't bet on that happening again but...I also don't want to spend $10 million a year on the assumption that it wont.

Simmons SS

Trout CF

Ohtani DH

Upton LF

Pujols/Descalco 1B

Cozart 3B

Suzuki C

Calhoun RF

Fletcher 2B

Skaggs-Heaney-Morton-Kukuchi-Canning (at some point) with Barria, Shoemaker, Suarez, Pena & Tropeano in the mix. That's a solid team. Not great but solid. If Adell & Jones are ready to click in 2020 and Canning & Suarez prove themselves capable starters, you can make a real run in 2020 without embarrassing yourselves in the interim.

I think its a bigger question as 30M isnt enough depending on the goal.  Are we trying to make a run at a possible playoff berth, or simply trying to play 500 ball and keep attendance and profits up to milk the last couple years of Trout in a halo.  

30M gives us three options:
#1 get good pitching and weaker bats
#2 get good bats and weaker arms
#3 get mediocre bodies at both.
None of these get us close to the playoffs anytime soon and put the futures on Trout and Simmons in question.

I would almost rather go full rebuild and be done with it than trying to play 500 ball.

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think its a bigger question as 30M isnt enough depending on the goal.  Are we trying to make a run at a possible playoff berth, or simply trying to play 500 ball and keep attendance and profits up to milk the last couple years of Trout in a halo.  

None of these get us close to the playoffs anytime soon and put the futures on Trout and Simmons in question.

I would almost rather go full rebuild and be done with it than trying to play 500 ball.

That number stretches much farther if you go and get DeGrom. 7.4M for a true number 1 this season would allow you to stretch that 30m in a much better way.

DeGrom -7.4

Marwin Gonzales -2/18

Wilson Ramos- 3/30

Suzuki, Robertson, Kikuchi, and trade for Kyle Gibson, which should be in the $25 to $30 million range added.

Suzuki (handling pitchers) and Robertson (mentoring the pen) are perfect for a younger staff. 

Kikuchi is a 3rd LHP in the rotation, but is long since MLB ready with solid stuff.

Gibson seems poised to break through, 3.62 ERA and 179 Ks in 2018; and won't cost an arm and a leg in trade, being a FA a year from now.  

I would spend most of it on Patrick Corbin - but I think he's pretty much a lock to go to the Yankees.

My second choice would be to spend some of it on Swiss- G - Marwin Gonzalez.

Obviously a catcher - most likely Kurt Suzuki

Most likely - it will be spent on yacht fuel.  J/K

28 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

That number stretches much farther if you go and get DeGrom. 7.4M for a true number 1 this season would allow you to stretch that 30m in a much better way.

DeGrom -7.4

Marwin Gonzales -2/18

Wilson Ramos- 3/30

DeGrom guts the farm more than even Realmuto would, dont see it as feasable in trade. 
There has to be a balance, between when we get now, and what we lose in the future. 
We might be able to get Realmuto without losing Adell, i dont think we can on DeGrom.   NYM has far less motivation to move him that MIA does on Realmuto i would think.
im kinda to a point where any trade we talk about has to be something we can get for a package that centers on Jones and Suarez, if it costs much more than that, maybe its not the best idea.

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

DeGrom guts the farm more than even Realmuto would, dont see it as feasable in trade. 
There has to be a balance, between when we get now, and what we lose in the future. 
We might be able to get Realmuto without losing Adell, i dont think we can on DeGrom.   NYM has far less motivation to move him that MIA does on Realmuto i would think.
im kinda to a point where any trade we talk about has to be something we can get for a package that centers on Jones and Suarez, if it costs much more than that, maybe iots not the best idea.

Ya I agree that DeGrom guts the farm, that front line starter is definitely what this team needs though. I'm not sure a player like Realmuto gets them to the finish line. He would be a massive upgrade don't get me wrong, but theres many more holes on this team and pitching has always been priority number 1.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Flop I know you feel this way, but we have it on pretty good authority that that’s about what the budget will be.   Because of that I created a thread to see what people would do with this kind of budget.   There’s just so many different ways to go.   

Screw the $30 mil - the team needs to spend a little more to win.

1. Sign Happ ($14)

2. Trade for Teheran ($12)

3. Sign Marwin Gonzalez ($12)

4. Sign Dave Robertson ($9)

5. Sign Wilson Ramos ($10)

6. Non-tender Shoemaker, Ramirez, Meyer, Bedrosian ($10 mil savings).

This adds $47 mil to the payroll. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Flop I know you feel this way, but we have it on pretty good authority that that’s about what the budget will be.   Because of that I created a thread to see what people would do with this kind of budget.   There’s just so many different ways to go.   

I know, im not condemning the thread or your take on it. 
Yes we have every reason to think that is the number, not disputing that.  Although why thats the number is a bit less acceptable than it was yesterday but its moot, it is what it is.
I think we both know it wont get us where we want to be or achieve any of our short term goals.  

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

I know, im not condemning the thread or your take on it. 
Yes we have every reason to think that is the number, not disputing that.  Although why thats the number is a bit less acceptable than it was yesterday but its moot, it is what it is.
I think we both know it wont get us where we want to be or achieve any of our short term goals.  

No amount of realistic money gets us over the top with this free agent class.  Short of signing, Harper, Machado, Corbin, Keuchel, Miller, Kimbrel, Ramos and trade for Goldscmidt then we have a team that might be able to compete with Houston this year.  

Just now, Stradling said:

No amount of realistic money gets us over the top with this free agent class.  Short of signing, Harper, Machado, Corbin, Keuchel, Miller, Kimbrel, Ramos and trade for Goldscmidt then we have a team that might be able to compete with Houston this year.  

Now that i disagree with, pending how you define over the top.
I posted a response to your question yesterday that i think absolutely puts us in a WC spot.  Does it put us in the WS, probably not, but its a step in the right direction.

Ramos 3 years/30 million - we don’t have any catching prospects worth mentioning at any level, he’s an obvious solution for the next few years. Plug that hole at a reasonable price.

David Robertson - 2 years 18 million

Daniel Murphy - 2 year deal

swing a trade for a couple starters like Tehran, etc

that solves leadoff hitter, 1st base, catcher, bullpen, etc

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Anyone else thinking Andrew McCutchen for right field, batting lead off in front of Trout and trading away Calhoun?

I know there are a dozen reasons this won’t happen but just imagine finally having a high caliber hitter batting in front of Trout.... has he ever had that?

Sign me up. Unfortunately I think the reasoning behind the hitting coach was to turn him around again so they could spend in other places.