• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California Burning...again

red321

LA Times has a rundown of when the fire first started to the first night in Paradise. Holy shit balls...that sounds like a friggen disaster movie. Running down the street past abandoned cars while your shoes are melting and pant legs catch on fire.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-camp-fire-tictoc-20181118-story.html

20 minutes ago, red321 said:

LA Times has a rundown of when the fire first started to the first night in Paradise. Holy shit balls...that sounds like a friggen disaster movie. Running down the street past abandoned cars while your shoes are melting and pant legs catch on fire.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-camp-fire-tictoc-20181118-story.html

That was some read...  I can't even imagine.  What a nightmare. 

49 minutes ago, red321 said:

Heartbreaking, terrifying and awful.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I thought I heard 1200 missing...

they revised their number and lowered it by 300 saturday night. this was the number they used on sunday. haven't heard what it is today so it's entirely possible that i could be wrong.

i know, the thought of me being wrong made me laugh too.

I looked at a home in the canyon area off of santiago (east of jamboree) a few years ago. Had no idea there was a community back there.

Was really tempted. Really nice cabin type home, like a big bear type area. And within like 15 20 minutes from Angel stadium. Almost too good to be true.

It was right up against the cleveland forrest. I knew it wasnt an if but a when. It would have been cool to live off the grid for a few years like that, but ive seen enough fires to know its better to visit than to become a local.

35 minutes ago, Tank said:

they revised their number and lowered it by 300 saturday night. this was the number they used on sunday. haven't heard what it is today so it's entirely possible that i could be wrong.

i know, the thought of me being wrong made me laugh too.

They lowered it again to the 900's.  So that's good news that they are finding these people that were listed as missing.  Hopefully it will go down a lot more.  But I fear there will be a few hundred (hopefully in the Pawnstars few hundred so 200) that are officially declared dead.

4 hours ago, red321 said:

In the fires before, Gordon Dise, 66, had refused to leave his land, where he tinkered on motorcycles and was building a fountain. But this time, he helped Anna pack. They went to the car together.

Then without explanation, Dise’s father returned to the house. She yelled at him not to. She honked the horn. Still he didn’t come out. She tried to drive and realized the tires had melted.

By then the house was on fire and collapsing. Dise and her two dogs ran to a neighbor’s gravel drive, and she found enough water in a ditch to wet her jacket and hair.

Trapped in that spot, she watched her childhood home burn. She presumed her father was still inside. Flames came up beside and behind her, sometimes feet away.

Her fingertips burned. Her face was scorched. She tried dialing 911 and got through long enough to ask for a rescue, but none came. She could hear trees falling.

Eventually the sky lightened. Beyond the smoke was morning.

Just a crazy, intense read.

13 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just got off the phone with a fire buddy, hes up there right now helping out. Said he estimates at least 200 dead, just from what hes seeing in Paradise...

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s substantially more than that. There’s a good chance this fire fundementally changes the ways communities are planned and how counties prep for disasters like this. 

21 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s substantially more than that. There’s a good chance this fire fundementally changes the ways communities are planned and how counties prep for disasters like this. 

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the number missing is a really bad sign. If it was just the first few days, dont panic. But were at about the 2 week mark now....

I've got close friends up there, and the stories are horrific. Too graphic to share, and just sad. 

The big thing they're seeing right now is the homeless population taking up all the cots in the relief centers and scoring free food.

PG&E isn't even sure if they'll be running lines back to the area because they may not bother rebuilding given the poor logistics of the town. Right now, firefighters are worried about Chico because mudslides will be all the more common without the trees and the water is absolutely toxic now, which will be flowing downhill into the city.

Sad to say, but I think that city won't be rebuilt.

Used to go camping that way when I was in Boy Scouts. Then later rode it on motorcycles in college. If I get the Spitfire a little more reliable I'll make a day of it by rolling down to lake Elsinore and through Ortega Hwy to Dana Point. Made that run on a GS450 Suzuki and it was a nice ride.