• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seattle considering full rebuild...

T.G.

1 hour ago, Ender said:

Wait what farm did we have that DiPoto gutted?

I'm fine with trading anyone on the Mariners. Even Haniger, Diaz and Gonzales.

Watching October baseball every year makes me realize how not even close we are (or anyone other than the Astros) in the AL West is to being a top team. Burn it down.

Ya'll are trolls saying DiPoto fucked the M's .... we've been fucked since 2001. But keep following your narratives.

you realize weve both won a WS and been in the playoffs on more than one occasion since 2001 i assume, right?
Trust me im as angry as anyone at the current plight but this was a little silly 

2 hours ago, Ender said:

Watching October baseball every year makes me realize how not even close we are (or anyone other than the Astros) in the AL West is to being a top team. Burn it down.

Ya'll are trolls saying DiPoto fucked the M's .... we've been fucked since 2001. But keep following your narratives.

he took a bottom tier system and made it the worst in baseball.  He does trade from the upper part of a system, but he also thins out the rest of the system where it not only ends up without any top tier prospects, but also zero depth.  

the other thing is his draft strategy.  He goes for high floor players which is why Kyle Lewis likely ends up a 4th OFer and your best prospect from the 2016 draft is currently Matt Festa.  A 25 yo who likely ends up a solid reliever.  The M's signed two high school players in the entire draft.  Joe Rizzo, your second rounder, and Jansiel Rivera, your 22nd rounder.  So now 2 1/2 year later, there is almost no one from that draft with any more upside than they've already shown.  The reason why your top prospect list is primarily filled with those from the 2017 and 18 drafts is that everything else has been thinned out and those guys are new to the system on top of there not being much before.  Your 2017 and 2018 drafts each included two kids signed out of HS as well.  

So it's not just what he was left, but also what he's done since.  Which is to draft almost zero high upside players.  

We've seen this plan in action.  We know how it works.  We were the ones making excuses and giving the benefit of the doubt.  

3 hours ago, Ender said:

Ok, we will follow our narrative that he ignores the farm, trades unnecessarily and quits.  None of those things are untrue.  So good luck.  

3 hours ago, floplag said:

I feel like the AL has basically just said screw it, let NY/Bos and Hou fight it out for a few years then well try again. 
Seems what were doing, its like noone wants to make the effort right now.

It isn't about this flop.  It is about finding a sustainable way to compete.  Those teams built from within, which is what the Angels are doing right now.  The Yankees and Red Sox use free agency to supplement the team not to build it.  Houston traded talent to get guys that put them over the top, guys like Verlander to get them over the top last year, and Cole this past off season.  They didn't get those guys 2-3 years ago when they were building.  They are finishing pieces.  Sale was acquired last year.  Stanton was acquired this year.  The Yankees hadn't signed a big name free agent since Chapman and Tanaka.  Their entire infield and outfield were home grown or acquired with trades.  Building a team that way gives you more money to finish your team off.  Its about making the right moves at the right time.  The Angels might sign a pitcher to a 4-5 year contract if it is Keuchel, but if they don't sign him, my guess is no one gets more than 2 years, because no one is worth it.  Also it really isn't the time to decimate the farm system (which I know you haven't advocated) to fill the holes, because if you make those trades the payroll goes way up and you no longer will have guys that can come up from the minors and contribute at league minimum to offset the high priced players you have on the team.  Not to mention no team is trading cheap, valuable players with 4-5 years of club control.  So if you acquire these guys by trading the farm you are also shortening your window to compete.  I personally think with a few smart moves and health they can compete for a wild card spot next year and they can do this without shortening the competitive window.  Obviously this is simply my opinion.