• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Carpino pulling the strings?

Docwaukee

He's the president and is essentially Arte's right hand man.  He became president in 2009 after being Senior VP of Sales from the time Arte bought the club.  He was also with Arte at his billboard company since 1985.  

Carpino probably doesn't make player personnel decisions but in all likelihood, he controls the day to day money and likely the one who sets the budgets.  

Is having a non baseball guy with more of a marketing background as Eppler's boss important?  

Setting the budget is not a GM's job. The title itself says he's not that guy. He takes that budget and impliments a plan but it does all get final approval from higher in the food chain.

You guys seem to have this miss conception that a General Manager is all powerful and can do anything he wants. The Red Sox turned Theo Epstein lose to implement his plan but the money he spent was controlled by ownership, of which he wasn't. He got all of the credit of turning the organization around but he had constraints. When he wanted more power he had to move to the Cubs organization to get it. 

I don't believe Carpino pulls any strings when it comes to roster decisions but he does set the budget and if it ever came to a judgement call, like how much to spend on Trout's extension, he certainly would have a say from the financial end. Which is completely reasonable since he is the business side of the game. His experience outside of baseball makes him highly qualified for this role.

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Setting the budget is not a GM's job. The title itself says he's not that guy. He takes that budget and impliments a plan but it does all get final approval from higher in the food chain.

You guys seem to have this miss conception that a General Manager is all powerful and can do anything he wants. The Red Sox turned Theo Epstein lose to implement his plan but the money he spent was controlled by ownership, of which he wasn't. He got all of the credit of turning the organization around but he had constraints. When he wanted more power he had to move to the Cubs organization to get it. 

I don't believe Carpino pulls any strings when it comes to roster decisions but he does set the budget and if it ever came to a judgement call, like how much to spend on Trout's extension, he certainly would have a say from the financial end. Which is completely reasonable. 

while I don't disagree, I wonder if hierarchy matters.  Like having a president of baseball ops who knows baseball and the president of business ops who knows business at the same level from a leadership standpoint.  It seems, in the case of the Angels, that Billy reports to John.  Maybe that doesn't matter as I'm not privy to the conversations behind the scenes.  

But there is a focus on fan attendance.  Is that more than other teams?  Is Carpino behind that focus?  Has that had a negative impact on the field product from a win and losses standpoint?  Does Billy take the team in a different direction if not for the influence of Carpino on Arte?  

Those are all fair questions that no one has the answers to, but it's fun to speculate.   

The only thing I have to compare it to is my company.  Granted I have never worked anywhere else in my adult life so I have nothing to compare it to.  In my company Operations Leadership is a step above in the pecking order from Non Operations Leadership.  Now I have been told this isn’t the case in most companies.  So our VP of Operations doesn’t answer to our VP of HR or Legal or Finance, in fact it would be the other way around if push came to shove, which occasionally it does.  

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

The only thing I have to compare it to is my company.  Granted I have never worked anywhere else in my adult life so I have nothing to compare it to.  In my company Operations Leadership is a step above in the pecking order from Non Operations Leadership.  Now I have been told this isn’t the case in most companies.  So our VP of Operations doesn’t answer to our VP of HR or Legal or Finance, in fact it would be the other way around if push came to shove, which occasionally it does.  

There is a vast difference between public and private companies (like the Angels).  In private companies lots of weird organizational structures can be set up and work.  In a private company, decision making can be always be interceded by the owner.  How the structure is set up usually never gets disclosed as an owner thinks it's probably never anyone's business outside of the organization.  I have a feeling that Arte is probably not too big on a fixed structure, and has his non operations guys like Carpino, and the operational side that Eppler heads.  How the two areas exist and interact is kind of a mystery to the public.  This is nothing like a public company business where you usually have a defined and set organizational structure, public shareholders, and an annually elected board of directors, plus all of your financial information is a matter of public record and disclosed in a consistent way that is dictated by the SEC.  I am used to the public way as I had a 35 year career in public companies, and was a corporate director for 16 more years.  I was never fond of working in a private company setting as way too much was up to the integrity, leadership, and personality of the owner.  In a big sense there can be sticky situations that arise due as the absence of checks and balances found in public companies simply don't exist in a lot of private companies.  It's a big part of the reason that our current U.S. President runs into so many difficulties, he came from a structure where he did everything his way into a world where there are checks and balances, public disclosures and a structured organization, and is answerable to the entire population that he serves, not dictate to it.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t understand the premise of this thread. 

The Angels are a business like any other. The owner sets the profit expectation and the employees work within that. 

What’s the question?

A bunch of bored individuals trying to figure out what’s going on in a front office that nobody knows anything about...seems pretty straight forward Jeff! 

27 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t understand the premise of this thread. 

The Angels are a business like any other. The owner sets the profit expectation and the employees work within that. 

What’s the question?

Who has Arte's ear?  Does John Carpino go to Arte and say that season ticket sales are down and that the team needs to be more competitive in order to improve them? So he influences Billy to make a trade to make the team better for marketing purposes.  Or does he hand Billy a budget and say handle the baseball stuff?  

The Angels are a business, but ever team has their own dynamic.  What is it for the halos?    

8 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

It's the first Saturday in November. That's the answer.

16 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

A bunch of bored individuals trying to figure out what’s going on in a front office that nobody knows anything about...seems pretty straight forward Jeff! 

both of these are true.  Carpino has been with Arte since 1985.  He's been the Angels actual boss since 2009 and has been with the org since Arte bought the team.  Just curious about him but we never really hear anything.    Trying to give @Jeff Fletcher some ideas for stuff to write about.  

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Who has Arte's ear?  Does John Carpino go to Arte and say that season ticket sales are down and that the team needs to be more competitive in order to improve them? So he influences Billy to make a trade to make the team better for marketing purposes.  Or does he hand Billy a budget and say handle the baseball stuff?  

The Angels are a business, but ever team has their own dynamic.  What is it for the halos?    

Arte is Carpino’s boss and Carpino is Billy’s. My sense is that they all are on the same page for the most part. 

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

both of these are true.  Carpino has been with Arte since 1985.  He's been the Angels actual boss since 2009 and has been with the org since Arte bought the team.  Just curious about him but we never really hear anything.    Trying to give @Jeff Fletcher some ideas for stuff to write about.  

That would be good, Fletch needs to interview Carpino and ask him just exactly what it is that does everyday, LOL.  He’s probably the bad guy when it comes to delivering bad news from Arte to baseball operations so Arte can continue a civil relationship with Eppler., or something equivalent to that.  Of course there is the finance, ticketing, promotional, community relations side of the business that must also report to him in some way.  He probably also gets the brunt of the Stadium operations and negotiation with the City of Anaheim.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Arte is Carpino’s boss and Carpino is Billy’s. My sense is that they all are on the same page for the most part. 

If they weren’t somebody would be out of a job, either John or Billy.  I could hear Arte telling them that, LOL.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

maybe you could liven it up with one of those lame ass halo_net instagram posts that speculates about hard hitting and controversial topics like whether Garrett Richards will sign a contract or showing Harper in a Angel uniform.   

and ruin your expert commentary ... no chance.