• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com's Offseason Prediction Contest: Pick TWO

Chuck

halos trade for realmuto.

sign eovaldi for 3/45.

sign corbin for 3/60.

sign familia for 2/25.

i realize that's four guesses in a three guess contest, so use whichever three of these you need to guarantee my victory, chuck.

1. Sp - Eovaldi 4/65

2. Rp - Ottavino 3+1/28

3. C - Ramos 4/32

4. Sp - Harvey 3/21

5. Rp - Miller 3/33

I'm not keen on Kikuchi tons of lower leg movement which throws off his balance. Which has been a problem with his curveball and consistency with his change up. Fastball velo has dropped a bit 96 to 93-91 as he threw a lot of innings in 2017 also his slider has lost some bite after a nagging shoulder injury this year. He has had to rely on his secondary pitches this year due to velo drop and less bite on the slider. Has a couple different follow through motions which lends to a lack of consistency within the zone they make him an area pitcher. He misses spots up and down due to release point and balance from bouncing through his follow through. Japan leagues hitters miss those or give up and take the pitch. MLB hitters will not.

Maybe, maybe not. What do I know... shoulders linger and are harder to return to form than a TJ....  A change in mechanics due to shoulder woes could lead him into a TJ situation in the future.

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Angels sign Yusei Kikuchi 4 years 50 million - Eppler, Ohtani and Ippei are familiar, and with new tax structure on NPB agreement, it'll knock the total contract down.

Angels sign Nate Eovaldi 4 years 52 million - Eppler liked him in 2012, 2015 and will now get him in 2018, but it'll cost more than you think. 

Angels sign Brian McCann 1 year 6 million - Still decent defender, he and Eppler go back, left handed, won't be expected to shoulder the load with our catching depth.

Why not Gio Gonzalez? We already have two lefties in the rotation and another in AAA. Why not Moustakas? Cost and OBP. 

And just for fun, Eppler will get the 6-man rotation he wanted when 2020 comes. Ohtani, Eovaldi, Kikuchi, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria and Canning (the last two will bounce frequently).

I think Kikuchi is also left handed.  

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Jon Jay has been available I think every single offseason since Eppler started, and he's always fit our needs to a T, yet never a murmur of interest, so at this point I think he doesn't want to be here or Eppler is not sold on him.

Pretty much how I feel about Cesar Hernandez too. 

21 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Eovaldi 3 years 30 million

20 hours ago, Torridd said:

Eovaldi 3 years - 27 mil.

20 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Angels sign Eovaldi 3 years $45 million

20 hours ago, Hubs said:

Angels sign Nate Eovaldi, 4/52 M.

15 hours ago, Second Base said:

Angels sign Nate Eovaldi 4 years 52 million - Eppler liked him in 2012, 2015 and will now get him in 2018, but it'll cost more than you think. 

14 hours ago, Tank said:

sign eovaldi for 3/45.

12 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

1. Sp - Eovaldi 4/65

5 hours ago, Cdaniel said:

- Sign Nathan Eovaldi 4yrs/$60 M

A few things to note. One, notice how many people are predicting the Angels land Eovaldi. I'm guessing this is happening on fan sites across the interwebs. Secondly, the predictions are way too low, or at least they start that way. They gradually increase and the last two are probably closer to probably truth, but also still low. Slappy's might be about right.

Eovaldi is going to be overpaid due to his WS performance. There's always a recency and WS bias. Furthermore, due to the lack of great free agent starters and the fact that teams are going to be bargain hunting beyond Corbin/Keuchel, Eovaldi--and other mid-range starters--are going to go up in price. Hopefully Eppler remembers that this is a guy who was relatively mediocre for years before missing over a year, and then coming back better than before but he's still only started 21 games, and at a #3 level. Maybe he improves a bit more, but I wouldn't play more than 4/$60MM--and that seems like an overpay--and I think he'll get more from someone due to the factors I mention above.

Billy Eppler quietly makes a monster extension offer to Trout (which is rumored but never confirmed by either party) and is turned down cold, which leads him to conclude, correctly, that he needs to show Trout that he can win in Anaheim, and soon.  Therefore, Eppler makes a flurry of moves, most of which have a 1-2 year time horizon.

1. The one exception is that the Angels post and sign Japanese LHP Yusei Kikuchi to a 5 year, $42 million contract.  The conclusion of the contract, many note, coincides with when Shohei Ohtani will hit free agency.  Many write think pieces about the role Ohtani must have played in recruiting him and the marketing potential of having Japenese-American players as a 1-2 at the top of the rotation in 2020 and the years that follow.  The AAV of the contract exceeds most estimates and the contract is second guessed as being too exorbitant for an MLB-unproven pitcher with past health issues, pissing off many on Angelswin.com.

2. The Angels trade for Nolan Arenado with no extension, giving up either Adell, Jones, or Thaiss in the process for a one-year rental, pissing off many on Angelswin.com.

3. Angels sign Zach Britton to a 2 year, $24 million contract and immediately bypass in-house options Buttrey and Parker, anointing Britton closer without a competition, pissing off many on Angelswin.com.

I hope you see the trend.  Prepare to be pissed off.  Welcome to Angels Baseball.

7 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

2. The Angels trade for Nolan Arenado with no extension, giving up either Adell, Jones, or Thaiss in the process for a one-year rental, pissing off many on Angelswin.com.

LOL. why would the angels consider trading their best prospect for a guy hitting free agency and NOT sign him to an extension?

16 hours ago, Blarg said:

That's quite the dumb post.

Hey, thanks man.  Always nice to see a constructive response.

My point is that things always seem to cost more (in terms of $$ and dealing away prospects) than message board posters want them to.  If Eppler decides to go for it with Trout in an effort to get him to be an Angel for life, he may find it necessary to deal away a key prospect or two to make it happen.  We always want to horde these guys but at the end of the day they're unproven and major league veterans are proven known commodities.  It may be Arenado, it may be someone else, but you have to give something to get something, and dealing away a Jahmai Jones, for example, may be the price the market demands for a trade that gets us back into contention.