• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Daniel Murphy?

Second Base

- We need a part time first baseman, and Murphy figures to begin his transition to 1B. 

- We need an infielder, either  a 2B or 3B.  Murphy also plays both 2B and 3B. 

- We need more left handed hitters, and Daniel Murphy is a great left handed hitter. 

- We need more hitters on base, and he has a career .344 OBP. 

- Last year, in the second half, Murphy was the same hitter he was the previous two seasons.  If he's healthy, he's dangerous. 

- We need more "clutch" hitting.  Murphy hit .301 with RISP last year, and .336 with men on base.  He's a career .327 with RISP. 

- Murphy figures to only cost around 9-10 million a year.  We'd still have 20 million to play with and the lineup would be drastically improved. 

- More Murphy likely means a little less Pujols and Cozart. 

- He spent significant time batting leadoff and 4th, 5th and 6th.  Basically, he can either be the leadoff hitter we need, or he can hit behind Trout, Ohtani and Upton, which pushes Pujols further down the order. 

- He'd require a shorter term deal, meaning he's not blocking anyone for long.

- He doesn't require prospects. 

- I think this team needs Daniel Murphy. 

Thoughts? 

good idea but.....

I'm all for a bat first util guy who can be an everyday guy while rotating through 1b, 2b, 3b.  His defense is so atrocious however, I think that will be a non-starter for Billy.  Even slightly below avg. defense would probable be acceptable, but he's an absolute butcher.  

Personally, I think he'll go to an AL team where he can get a bunch of DH at bats and spell at 1b.  

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

good idea but.....

I'm all for a bat first util guy who can be an everyday guy while rotating through 1b, 2b, 3b.  His defense is so atrocious however, I think that will be a non-starter for Billy.  Even slightly below avg. defense would probable be acceptable, but he's an absolute butcher.  

Personally, I think he'll go to an AL team where he can get a bunch of DH at bats and spell at 1b.  

I dont think it'll happen.  But I certainly wish it would.  This team needs offense and offensively speaking (and payroll and prospects), he's a perfect fit. 

43 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

If not for Pujols, Murphy could transition to 1B and start 140 games and provide a desperately needed LH bat. 

Downside is that his OPS fell off quite a bit in 2018, although still .790.   His XBH's really fell off (27 in 351 PAs, after averaging 73 XBH's the past two seasons).

He was on the DL to start the season and didn't get a Spring Training.  Take his second half and extrapolate it and he's the same hitter he was. 

Maybe Albert finally comes to the realization that he can only play 60-70 games in 2019 (split equally between 1B and DH), and then retire and collect the $59 million?

Then a Murphy could still start some 130-140 games at 1B.  They can certainly use the LHH sock, given Calhoun's hot and cold tendencies leaving Ohtani as the ONLY reliable LHH bat.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Murphy was one of my “offseason options” that was left on the cutting room floor. But he does seem like a good fit. I think he’s just a little old. Guys like Descalso and Moustakas are both younger. 

I actually thought the age factor played in his favor. I doubt the Angels want to allocate a long term deal toward a 1B, 2B, 3B or a DH, all positions in which Murphy fills. Those are spots that we'd hope to see guys like Thaiss, Jones, Rengifo and Ward fill. Now obviously those aren't guaranteed stars or anything, but if we could bring someone in on a 1-2 year deal, it'd allow those guys to continue to develop in the minors, and if they prove ready for the majors, a short term asset like Murphy wouldn't provide much of a stumbling block. Whereas Moustakas seems like someone that could get 3-4 years, and Descalso isn't a great defender either and doesn't provide the offense Murphy would either. 

2 hours ago, Cdaniel said:

I like the idea, but how are we supposed to add 2 more SP and a 4th OF and stay under 30-35 mil?  I guess Herm could be the 4th OF.

Trade for one good SP, sign a cheap, mediocre vet to eat innings at the back of the rotation - won’t cost much if you keep expectations low. If anything, spend ‘big’ on a reliever ($8-12m AAV), and use remaining on bounceback bench guys to cover 4th OF and IF depth. Cabrera, Morrison, Guyer, etc. I think catcher will be a minor trade.

And then hope the young hitters take a step forward into being at least league-average hitters (which would be a plus over last year) and our talented but oft-injured pitchers finally stay healthy. 

Won’t seal the deal for a playoff spot, but they’d be a WC contender and be set up for a bright future. 

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Murphy was one of my “offseason options” that was left on the cutting room floor. But he does seem like a good fit. I think he’s just a little old. Guys like Descalso and Moustakas are both younger. 

Yeah, he's older, but he is one of those "professional hitter" types that to me can carve out a few more solid seasons. 

I am in favor of getting younger this offseason, but I definitely see Murphy as an opportunity to find someone who can get on base in front of Trout/Upton/Ohtani

I like him if we can throw him at 1B full time and he can't do so much damage to the infield. The big question is the Pujols of all of it. I think I may actually lose my mind if Pujols gets playing time instead of either Murphy (1B) or Ohtani (DH).

Still wish we should transition Pujols to a coaching roll somehow. I understand that the language barrier may be an issue, but like....worst case scenario, 0 value is better than negative value, and that would give him some kind of dignity.

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

I actually thought the age factor played in his favor. I doubt the Angels want to allocate a long term deal toward a 1B, 2B, 3B or a DH, all positions in which Murphy fills. Those are spots that we'd hope to see guys like Thaiss, Jones, Rengifo and Ward fill. Now obviously those aren't guaranteed stars or anything, but if we could bring someone in on a 1-2 year deal, it'd allow those guys to continue to develop in the minors, and if they prove ready for the majors, a short term asset like Murphy wouldn't provide much of a stumbling block. Whereas Moustakas seems like someone that could get 3-4 years, and Descalso isn't a great defender either and doesn't provide the offense Murphy would either. 

This, and the fact that he is LH make a ton of sense to me.
Though i dont see why he would be something instead of a Moustakis for example, both could have roles.
Moustakis could be everyday 3B, part time 1B, Murphy everyday 1B part time 2B, with either Cozart or Feltcher as the everyday 2B and the other as util.   Pujols as the everyday DH till Ohtani is fully ready to go, then you go with whoever has the hot hand.
He also has played the OF so could be used there though i dont think was ever a defensive wizard but still. 
Thiass and Ward will push them, but im not sure either is quite ready yet so a short term deal for Murphy shouldnt be a huge problem or block anyone and make us much more competitive in '19. 

56 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I like him if we can throw him at 1B full time and he can't do so much damage to the infield. The big question is the Pujols of all of it. I think I may actually lose my mind if Pujols gets playing time instead of either Murphy (1B) or Ohtani (DH).

Still wish we should transition Pujols to a coaching roll somehow. I understand that the language barrier may be an issue, but like....worst case scenario, 0 value is better than negative value, and that would give him some kind of dignity.

Pujols speaks English. He's lived in the US for about 25 years.

Also, they're not making him a coach. I don't believe he's going to play over Ohtani. Beyond that, it depends who they get as an alternative. They aren't benching him if Jose Fernandez is the alternative. 

As I've said a million times, I believe they will try to get someone on a short-term deal who can play 1B and other positions (Murphy could be a candidate), so if Pujols is bad and/or hurt, they have someone else to play, but if Pujols is healthy and performing at least around the rate he did last year, he'll play and the new guy can fill in somewhere else.

Honestly I would not at all be surprised to see Pujols go on the DL two or three times next year, and that's how his playing time would be reduced. He's not that useful as one of the bench guys.

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Pujols speaks English. He's lived in the US for about 25 years.

Also, they're not making him a coach. I don't believe he's going to play over Ohtani. Beyond that, it depends who they get as an alternative. They aren't benching him if Jose Fernandez is the alternative. 

As I've said a million times, I believe they will try to get someone on a short-term deal who can play 1B and other positions (Murphy could be a candidate), so if Pujols is bad and/or hurt, they have someone else to play, but if Pujols is healthy and performing at least around the rate he did last year, he'll play and the new guy can fill in somewhere else.

Honestly I would not at all be surprised to see Pujols go on the DL two or three times next year, and that's how his playing time would be reduced. He's not that useful as one of the bench guys.

I always forget that that's a thing. He speaks in Spanish in public, but obviously he just does that so he is more comfortable/doesn't misspeak.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:06 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its sad that were at the point that pujols is blocking us from even adding a daniel murphy, at his age, type. Sigh.

I guess that's what happens when you sign a 32 year old to a 10 year deal. If you're lucky, he'll be good for seven years but the last three would be brutal. If you're unlucky, it'll be good for two years and he last eight will be brutal. Midway point is the deal being fine for about four years, and bad for the last six. 

Albert was good for one, decent for four and the last five years are just awful. Pretty much the midway point. 

But he's human, the fact that Albert Pujols isn't a great major leaguer in his late 30's isn't his fault. No one in their right mind believed he would be. You can't point toward David Ortiz, Nelson Cruz, Barry Bonds etc as example of guys good in their late 30's. Every single one of those guys used steroids. 

This one isn't really fair to Pujols, but Ken Griffey Jr., who most believed is one of the most naturally gifted ball players ever, and was clean, was still only good until 37. Granted at 38-40 he's still better than Pujols is now, but the FA act that he wasn't even a shell of himself anymore was evident. He was an old man. Albert's downturn over the proverbial cliff came at 36. There's no shame in that, the only shame is the fact that someone was dumb enough to sign him until he's 42.

St. Louis assessed the situation and offered himself seven years. If the Angels were that smart, he either wouldn't be here, or the Angels would be done with his contract by now.