• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Death Penalty

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

While true, its 2 different arguments.  
If the system wasnt slanted would you still be against the death penalty?

Why does it matter.  They system will never be fair.  I guess if it were perfect then I would but I will never have to worry about that.

14 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Why does it matter.  They system will never be fair.  I guess if it were perfect then I would but I will never have to worry about that.

Fair enough, I was simply trying to determine if it was the penalty itself or the surrounding issues, if you would oppose either way then that clarifies it.
I personally do not oppose it, but it must be beyond contestation or any reasonable doubt above and beyond conviction. 

I’m against the death penalty.  I think that we’ve seen enough cases of corruption or incompetence or some other systematic failure that it’s really tough to support it at all.  It’s not ok to say “well, usually they’re right” this is an issue where 1 error is utterly unacceptable.  We’ll never have a perfect system.  So, the best we can do is hedge against terrible mistakes by not having capital punishment.   

I get that people can argue “well, what if he confesses” or there’s some other indisputable evidence.  Even in those scenarios there have been instances of unlawful coercion or some other craziness.  I’m very certain that usually they get it right.  But the reality as I said above, it’s not 100% and it can’t ever be.  I’m personally not ok with green lighting execution because of that. 

Also, like MT said, our justice system grossly favors the more affluent.  That’s a big issue as well. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

17 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Zagorski was executed tonight after 34 years on Death Row and 22 separate appeals. His last words were "Let's rock."

The above is a much better illustration of whats wrong with our system than the disparity of representation from rich to poor.  Im not diminishing that by any means, but 30freaking4 years on 22 appeals?  WTseriousF?

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

The above is a much better illustration of whats wrong with our system than the disparity of representation from rich to poor.  Im not diminishing that by any means, but 30freaking4 years on 22 appeals?  WTseriousF?

that's the first thing that popped out at me.

ridiculous

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

There are some men on California's death row that have been there since 1980. That's 38 years.

Lawrence Bittaker, who tortured and killed five teenaged girls, has been there for more than 37 years.

Ricky Rene Sanders, who herded customers and employees of a Bob's Big Boy in L.A. into a walk-in refrigerator and opened fire on them with a shotgun, killing four and severely injuring several others, has been there since 1982.

The emotional side of me thinks some of these fuckers absolutely deserve it.  Just pull the trigger and lets go home. 

The rationale side of me...

1. Doesn't trust that the justice system will not execute an innocent person. 

2. Don't think as a society we should sanction murder for murder. Two wrongs don't make a right.

3. Feels that a lifetime in prison is punishment enough for even the worst of crimes.