• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Whit Merrifield

What would it take? Quality, underrated ballplayer in his prime. He's under club control for a long time so I wouldn't mind giving up Marsh+ for him. Could plug him at 2B/leadoff and let Cozart/Fletcher battle it out for the 3B role with the loser taking the utility guy position.

Merrifield

Trout

Ohtani

Upton

Simmons

Calhoun

Just now, floplag said:

His name has come up so many times here and its easy for us to justify the why from our view, for us its a no brainer, he can play 2B, 1B. and all three outfield spots last year for the Royals... but ive yet to see one person suggest a reason why KC does this? 

The Royals are 3 years away from contention. At 29 (soon to be 30), Merrifield probably doesn't fit their timeline. 

I don't know, he seems like a pretty obvious guy that could get moved.

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

The Royals are 3 years away from contention. At 29 (soon to be 30), Merrifield probably doesn't fit their timeline. 

I don't know, he seems like a pretty obvious guy that could get moved.

Perhaps, but it wont come cheap.  How much would you be willing to move?  You arent getting him for someone you dont want to lose

He would cost a fortune, and rightfully so. That being said, if he can truly play decent defense at first, second and in the outfield, I'd probably give any three prospects other than Adell/Canning. But my guess is that even a package of Rengifo, Marsh, Jones and Suarez wouldn't be enough. 

If you can’t get him for Marsh, Rengifo and Suarez you simply go a different direction.  I think it would be easier to acquire Cesar Hernandez, although Fletcher has said many times Eppler isn’t interested.  I have no idea if that is because of his cost, his controllable years or his skill set. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you can’t get him for Marsh, Rengifo and Suarez you simply go a different direction.  I think it would be easier to acquire Cesar Hernandez, although Fletcher has said many times Eppler isn’t interested.  I have no idea if that is because of his cost, his controllable years or his skill set. 

So that list to me is excessive, Rengifo himself could be that answer and were talking those guys added?  IDK seems a bit much.

Just now, floplag said:

So that list to me is excessive, Rengifo himself could be that answer and were talking those guys added?  IDK seems a bit much.

I agree, I was just going off of what others thought he might cost.  I have no idea if Rengifo is going to be anywhere near the talent of Merrifield.  I have no idea if Marsh is going to be a starting outfielder.  I have no idea if Suarez is going to be anything other than a swing man up in the bigs.  But if you trade all three of them in one move to get one player, it better be for the right player with the right contract at the right age and the right years of club control.  I’d almost rather package that group plus for a bondfide star.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree, I was just going off of what others thought he might cost.  I have no idea if Rengifo is going to be anywhere near the talent of Merrifield.  I have no idea if Marsh is going to be a starting outfielder.  I have no idea if Suarez is going to be anything other than a swing man up in the bigs.  But if you trade all three of them in one move to get one player, it better be for the right player with the right contract at the right age and the right years of club control.  I’d almost rather package that group plus for a bondfide star.  

100% agreed, though it would not surprise me to see KC ask for something like that, unless its a team with a crap ton of prospect depth at those spots with similar projections that really really wanted him, i dont see it as realistic that they would get it

7 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I think we overrate our prospects when we say we can get a bonafide star without giving up Adell or Canning. Maybe if it's a rental, but do we really want to do that?

No one is going to deal their franchise player without those two included. That's why I think Merrifield would be more realistic

I get what you are saying, but it isn’t like those guys are nothing, two of them are top 100 prospects, right?  I could be wrong, but I thought both Rengifo and Marsh were in the top 100.  

43 minutes ago, floplag said:

His name has come up so many times here and its easy for us to justify the why from our view, for us its a no brainer, he can play 2B, 1B. and all three outfield spots last year for the Royals... but ive yet to see one person suggest a reason why KC does this? 

I think the only reason KC would move Whit is to get a couple good prospects AND unload some salary. I read somewhere a couple weeks back they are looking to cut payroll while they rebuild. KC would probably want a deal like Ian Kennedy and Whit for Marsh and Suarez? or something like that

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Nothing worth acquiring is cheap.

I am willing to pay the fair price.

If it’s Jam Jones and a couple lower guys then I’d be down. If it’s Jam Jones, Suarez, and Marsh I start to become a little skeptical that the price is worth the player. Especially with Cozart, Ward, Fletcher, Jones, Rengifo all in the second base/3rd base fold or coming into the fold in  the next 1-3 years or so. 

I feel that a package like that should be invested in something like Steven Matz, Zack Wheeler,Jameson Taillon, or Realmuto. (Not even sure these guys are available just an example) 

Although having a legit leadoff hitter would make all the difference in the world for this lineup. 

1. Merrifield

2. Trout

3. Upton

4. Ohtani

5. Pujols

6. Ramos/Arcia

7. Calhoun

8. Simmons

9. Cozart 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Hernandez is 28 and hit .253 last year. Pass

Just wanted to point out that many will say there is no need for Merrifield since the Angels have Ward, Fletcher, Renfigo, etc.

If you had all of them who would start? Merrifield.  So there is your answer and it should be looked at the opposite way.  The Angels wouldn't need to keep those players if they had Merrifield which would free up more bodies to trade elsewhere  (or to include acquiring Merrifield).

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

That comment is maddening (for me anyway).

Would you like $100 now or an amount if money that might grow to $100 in a couple years?

Depends, what will it cost me now versus what will it cost me in a couple of years?   You are an all or nothing guy.  So if you could get most of Merrifields performance, like Fletcher who might give you 3/4 of the WAR Merrifield would give you and have those prospects you are probably better off.  I like Merrifield, but he’s not worth 3 top 10 prospects when you have other solid options.  

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Depends, what will it cost me now versus what will it cost me in a couple of years?   You are an all or nothing guy.  So if you could get most of Merrifields performance, like Fletcher who might give you 3/4 of the WAR Merrifield would give you and have those prospects you are probably better off.  I like Merrifield, but he’s not worth 3 top 10 prospects when you have other solid options.  

I am most certainly not an all or nothing guy.

I prefer Merifield to the prayer that Fletcher turns into Mereifield.

I prefer the upside of Adell to some 32 year old 3 WAR outfielder.

It is about knowing which prospects to package for an impact player versus which prospects are worth keeping.

There have been many, many years I would not see any reason at all to trade ANY prospects because the roster upside looked weak either way.  My personal opinion is there are enough high impact player on the roster to have an appetite to pursue a couple more, because I think the team coukd be really good in 2019.

I dont believe that every year.

KC would be smart to trade him now.  dude will be 30 in Jan and has 4 years of control.  Heard they're claiming they want to keep him as part of the next regime but that's asinine frankly.  

Dude is coming of a 5 WAR season at age 29.  I do think they ask for Marsh, Rengifo/Jones, and Suarez.  That's not an untenable deal for a team that is missing that one guy.  We aren't.  Let one of Fletcher, Jones or Regifo develop in to the 2bman of he future.  If there's another Merrifield in two years (there's always someone), and we've shored up other spots, then I'm all for it.  Not pulling the trigger on that type of deal just yet.  Part of my reluctance is that I think one of Rengifo or Jones is going to be as good sooner than later.  I'm likely going to be wrong, but I'd rather wait while we've got other holes to fill.