• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jordyn Adams

Dtwncbad

52 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He's 18 years old.

Essentially, the Angels are saying it's easier to take a great athlete and teach him how to play baseball, than to take someone who can play baseball and teach them to be a great athlete.

We'll see if it works. It's basically the opposite of what Jerry Dipoto did.

Thus, a much better chance of working

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

This is the genius of Eppler. When the time comes the Angels will make a 2 sport, 3 team deal between the Lakers, Dodgers and Angels. Since Magic Johnson aligns with both the Lakers and the Dodgers - a mega-unprecedented-out-of-the-box deal will take place bringing Cody Bellinger to the Angels (solves the problem of having someone who can play more than just 1B) and the Lakers will end up with Adams, who will split his time between the Lakers and Dodgers - being the first two sport athlete that plays baseball and basketball.

Danny Ainge, Gene Conley, and Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) said to tell you howdy.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/baseball_and_basketball_players.shtml

1 hour ago, Kody Mac said:

Let's be fair, Hunter has elite athleticism and played well his first year even though he had focused on football for so long. Year two provided a bump in the road. I expect Adams to do the same, let's wait for year three before we really expect a whole lot.

I have higher expectations for Adams than I do Hunter by far.  

I think he'll start in Orem and move to A- but the Halos have been so aggressive with promotions that his overall numbers may not end up looking all that great because if he does well in A ball, they'll move him up quickly to A+.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Except it would seem Dipoto's was draft zero stars and a thousand pieces of depth fodder. Of course, I'm completely ignoring Newcomb, Jones, and Hermosillo. 

Haha, true. But I think you know what I mean: draft high-floor types, more of whom will turn out to be major leaguers but fewer of whom will be stars than the Eppler approach.

It is a trade off for more major leaguers but fewer stars. I wonder what the ratio is, and if there is a tipping point? 

I am reminded of a basic rule of fantasy baseball. Yeah, yeah, I know that real baseball is different, but there are a few ways that they are similar. Basically, you don't trade one star for two average players, because it is easier to "fill in the gaps" via the waiver wire. In real baseball, this is organizational depth, free agency, etc.

To put that another way, a 6 WAR player is far more valuable than two 3 WAR players. I think Eppler gets this and is trying to optimize his chances of developing 6 WAR players, with the idea that you can find 3 WAR players in other ways.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He is at 23.  Let's see where he's at when he's 26 before creating completely inaccurate conclusions. 

Dose his minor league BA inspire confidence that he can hit Major league pitching? It has sunk with every level, which is to be expected to a point. I just don't think he has the potential that a lot of people here see.

Screenshot_20181029-170839_Chrome.jpg

13 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Dose his minor league BA inspire confidence that he can hit Major league pitching? It has sunk with every level, which is to be expected to a point. I just don't think he has the potential that a lot of people here see.

Screenshot_20181029-170839_Chrome.jpg

I think you'd have to take a deeper look here to understand.  Hermosillo focused on football in high school and not really baseball at all.  He sort of surprised everyone when he passed on his full-ride offer to play RB at Illinois and opted to sign with the Angels after being drafted in I believe the 38th round.  Granted his signing bonus was huge for someone drafted in that round, but you just don't see it very often. 

So Hermosillo didn't even focus on baseball until he was drafted.  His struggles in 2014 and 2015 were evident of someone who was learning how to be a baseball player and not just an athlete.

His breakout in 2016 was indicative of an exceptional athlete that's starting to get the hang of this whole baseball thing.

Before the 2018 season, the Angels front office approached him with some data and scouting reports on him.  The fact that he was succeeding in A+, AA and a short stint at AAA was great, but it was happening with him being almost completely a pull-hitter and it was happening on fastballs the majority of the time.  They both believed that once Mike was in the majors, he'd face a shift, and that his approach really wouldn't be conducive for success.  So even at the expense of current success in AAA, both Michael and the Angels believed it would be in his best interest to focus almost solely on learning to go the other way.  He started to do this in AAA early in the season, but then he was promoted and didn't get a ton of playing time.  After being sent back down, his timing was off, then he got hurt.  Not only that, being in the majors, Hermosillo saw quality major league breaking balls for the first time and these gave him fits the way minor league breaking balls never did. 

So he's focused on two things now, early identification of breaking balls, and hitting the ball exactly where it's pitched.  There's definitely going to be a learning curve, we've seen the beginning of that already.  But if he adjusts the way the Angels think he's capable of, you're looking at someone that can post a .350 OBP with 15 HR and 30 SB with solid defense.  That's pretty good.  And if he doesn't adjust, you're still looking at a 4th OF that offers great defense and can be an exceptional pinch runner. 

Either way, it seems Michael Hermosillo is a little more than depth fodder.  Again, still just 23 years old and broke into the majors. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think you'd have to take a deeper look here to understand.  Hermosillo focused on football in high school and not really baseball at all.  He sort of surprised everyone when he passed on his full-ride offer to play RB at Illinois and opted to sign with the Angels after being drafted in I believe the 38th round.  Granted his signing bonus was huge for someone drafted in that round, but you just don't see it very often. 

So Hermosillo didn't even focus on baseball until he was drafted.  His struggles in 2014 and 2015 were evident of someone who was learning how to be a baseball player and not just an athlete.

His breakout in 2016 was indicative of an exceptional athlete that's starting to get the hang of this whole baseball thing.

Before the 2018 season, the Angels front office approached him with some data and scouting reports on him.  The fact that he was succeeding in A+, AA and a short stint at AAA was great, but it was happening with him being almost completely a pull-hitter and it was happening on fastballs the majority of the time.  They both believed that once Mike was in the majors, he'd face a shift, and that his approach really wouldn't be conducive for success.  So even at the expense of current success in AAA, both Michael and the Angels believed it would be in his best interest to focus almost solely on learning to go the other way.  He started to do this in AAA early in the season, but then he was promoted and didn't get a ton of playing time.  After being sent back down, his timing was off, then he got hurt.  Not only that, being in the majors, Hermosillo saw quality major league breaking balls for the first time and these gave him fits the way minor league breaking balls never did. 

So he's focused on two things now, early identification of breaking balls, and hitting the ball exactly where it's pitched.  There's definitely going to be a learning curve, we've seen the beginning of that already.  But if he adjusts the way the Angels think he's capable of, you're looking at someone that can post a .350 OBP with 15 HR and 30 SB with solid defense.  That's pretty good.  And if he doesn't adjust, you're still looking at a 4th OF that offers great defense and can be an exceptional pinch runner. 

Either way, it seems Michael Hermosillo is a little more than depth fodder.  Again, still just 23 years old and broke into the majors. 

I read every word of your post.  Here is the thing.  Every single player in the minors has a "story" to explain any unimpressive streaks or numbers.  All of them.

I don't see any indication that this is a future everyday player.  Of course he could be, but he definitely appears to be more of a 4th OF type.

I would not bet any real money he ends up more than a 4th OF.

In my mind, a likely 4th OF is the definition of "depth."

There is value in a 4th OF of course.  But I don't really even consider Hermosilla when I am mapping out who will have an impact on the team going forward.

I would not hesitate to throw him into a trade to make a deal happen that would bring the Angels a quality everyday player.  No hesitation.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I read every word of your post.  Here is the thing.  Every single player in the minors has a "story" to explain any unimpressive streaks or numbers.  All of them.

I don't see any indication that this is a future everyday player.  Of course he could be, but he definitely appears to be more of a 4th OF type.

I would not bet any real money he ends up more than a 4th OF.

In my mind, a likely 4th OF is the definition of "depth."

There is value in a 4th OF of course.  But I don't really even consider Hermosilla when I am mapping out who will have an impact on the team going forward.

I would not hesitate to throw him into a trade to make a deal happen that would bring the Angels a quality everyday player.  No hesitation.

Chances are he's somewhere in between.  

Hermosillo is better than simply a 4th OF, so not even considering him when mapping things out would be a mistake on your part.  But he's probably not going to reach his potential (.350 OBP 15 HR and 30 SB as I noted before).  Chances are, he's a second or third tier starting outfielder, which means he isn't the sort that competitive teams roll out as their starting CF/LF/RF.  He's more of a 4th OF for those teams, which is great because you bring him off the bench to get a bunt down, steal a base or as a defensive replacement each game.  So valuable for championship caliber teams to have.  But teams that aren't championship caliber yet are probably good with having him start in their OF as a bridge until they reach that level. He's probably going to end up being someone that posts a .330 OBP with 10 HR and 20 SB and very good defense if he gets a full season of at bats. 

Maybe an Ender Inciarte or Jackie Bradley Jr. type.  Obviously those are imperfect.  Ender his left handed, and Bradley has more power and better defense.  But basically a similar or slightly lesser version of those two. 

When I'm projecting this team out, I definitely keep Hermosillo in their plans because deploying him late in the games makes this team much better and much more dangerous.  Bring him in as a pinch runner in the 8th inning, have him steal a base and hopefully score a run.  Put him OF in the 9th inning as a defensive replacement for Upton. 

But if the Angels really want to trade him, sure I wouldn't be opposed to it.  But i think he's better than the other 4th OF options available on the market.  You want someone you can have confidence in starting in the OF in the case of injury, and while Hermosillo wasn't that guy at age 23.  He will be that guy that 25. 

Jordyn Adams didn’t even play 20 games of low A ball.  He’s looked pretty good from what we’ve seen.  I think that with his tool set it’s entirely too early have much thought on what kind of major leaguer he’ll be.  Is the guy even 18 yet ?

he’s a  nice piece.  Hopefully he makes good on the potential. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I like Herm.  There's a dynamic upside to dream on.  But you don't hold a spot waiting for that because there's strong odds it won't be realized.  

Small sample of .805 ops vs. lefties and similar results in the minors.  that small sample include 11 ks in 27 pa.  

Could he platoon with Kole?  Maybe, but he'd have to show something early.  Of course I wouldn't blame Eppler for getting a veteran 4th OFer that could take Kole's spot  if he should falter.  

He seems destined for being on the shuttle or last roster spot until he gets DFA'd when he runs out of options.  Maybe he catches on as a starter or maybe he ends up as Anthony Ortega.  The latter is most likely.  

22 hours ago, Tank said:

Danny Ainge, Gene Conley, and Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) said to tell you howdy.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/baseball_and_basketball_players.shtml

The most successful baseball players in the bunch were Conley, Dick Groat, Steve Hamilton, Mark Hendrikson, and Ron Reed.

Long time NBA player and Lakers coach Bill Sharman never got into a MLB game, but was called up by Brooklyn in September 1951 and was on the bench when Bobby Thompson won the NL pennant for the Giants.