• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jordyn Adams

Dtwncbad

I have watched lots of video on this guy and I see a pattern of highlights that feature his speed and athleticism.

Yet I don't see much in terms of professional level baseball skill.

I am not questioning the draft pick.  If a world class athlete focuses solely on baseball you may end up with a superstar.

The downside could be they never become capable of hitting major league pitching.

So what do the Angels have here in Adams?

Just looking for opinions.

Eppler has focused largely on bringing in elite athleticism into the organization.  That's why Jahmai Jones wasn't traded, but shifted over to 2B.  That's why the Angels brought in Adell, Marsh, Adams, Jackson, Deveaux, Knowles and Maitan.  All these guys have superstar potential.  

Now obviously they all won't make good on that potential, so the fact that we've brought in so many just makes it more likely that one or two of them will work out. 

It's too early to know what we have in Adams.  But the upside is 15 HR and 40 SB with great defense and great OBP.   I guess Starling Marte would be his upside?

I think the influx of drafted superior athletes at 18 years old is so much more maelable than a bunch of 22-23 year old safe college picks the have formed their game outside of the Angels focus.

These kids have yet to lock in their skill sets so a player like Jones can be bounced to 2nd base without derailing his growth. There is so much better chance that these higher risk mid draft players reach a higher ceiling since we aren't drafting in the top 10 players. 

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Eppler has focused largely on bringing in elite athleticism into the organization.  That's why Jahmai Jones wasn't traded, but shifted over to 2B.  That's why the Angels brought in Adell, Marsh, Adams, Jackson, Deveaux, Knowles and Maitan.  All these guys have superstar potential.  

Now obviously they all won't make good on that potential, so the fact that we've brought in so many just makes it more likely that one or two of them will work out. 

It's too early to know what we have in Adams.  But the upside is 15 HR and 40 SB with great defense and great OBP.   I guess Starling Marte would be his upside?

How do you project "great OBP" from pure athleticism?

Dont anybody get me wrong. . .I like the athleticism for sure.  I am just particularly looking at Adams because he just seems sooooo raw and far from displaying recognizable baseball skills (from what I have watched. . .and I am actually hoping somebody tells me they see something I am not seeing in this one player).

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

How do you project "great OBP" from pure athleticism?

I suppose if I was taking a simple guess, I'd say athleticism requires quick twitch and explosiveness, both of which are necessary for hitting.  The better contact, the more often contact results in a base hit.  And as far as the other ways of reaching base, predominantly base on balls, I'd say something that goes hand in hand with quick twitch would be your eyes picking up something faster and your brain making an assessment of strike or ball based on it's projection and thus deciding in a fraction of a second whether to swing or not and what sort of swing would be necessary to make contact. 

Basically, knowing the difference between strike and ball faster than the other guy.  

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

But, but, but, that dunk.

This is the genius of Eppler. When the time comes the Angels will make a 2 sport, 3 team deal between the Lakers, Dodgers and Angels. Since Magic Johnson aligns with both the Lakers and the Dodgers - a mega-unprecedented-out-of-the-box deal will take place bringing Cody Bellinger to the Angels (solves the problem of having someone who can play more than just 1B) and the Lakers will end up with Adams, who will split his time between the Lakers and Dodgers - being the first two sport athlete that plays baseball and basketball.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Dont anybody get me wrong. . .I like the athleticism for sure.  I am just particularly looking at Adams because he just seems sooooo raw and far from displaying recognizable baseball skills (from what I have watched. . .and I am actually hoping somebody tells me they see something I am not seeing in this one player).

There's a difference between athleticism and elite athleticism.  Like pro level quick twitch and amazing eye hand.  

he had a solid debut as an 18yo at two levels and actually showed good discipline and some solid xbh ability.  Which is actually impressive for a guy who has very little baseball experience.  Thought he was a bit of a stretch personally but there's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes when picking a player of his skill set.  One of the biggest in my mind is work ethic.  He's behind every player drafted around him from an experience standpoint and ahead of every player around him from a talent standpoint. You bridge that gap with hard work.  

Would I have picked someone else?  probably.  Was he a bad pick?  hell no.  He was certainly projected to go where we took him.  It's actually completely unfair to judge him at all at this point.  There is just so little to go on except the one signature video of him beating out a seeing eye single and another of him posterizing some dude with a dunk.  

Here's a small sample from this year's debut.  He whiffed 15 times in his first 42 PA in the AZL with 1 xbh.  In his last 80 pa, he whiffed 15 times and had 8 xbh while moving up a level to orem in between that.  

bump this thread in about a year.  

37 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

To be honest, you've pretty much already got a firm idea of what's up....  Nobody can really point to anything other than what you have already seen -- the track record doesn't exist.   

Adams is an extreme tools guy who didn't really focus on baseball until his last year of HS, and only after he realized he had performed well in showcase games.   The Angels are betting that with coaching and experience, those tools will translate into production/performance.   Right now he's a collection of physical attributes that cannot be taught, and while that may not be much it was enough for many across baseball to believe he was the most physically gifted athlete in the draft.   

Whether the athlete becomes a ballplayer is still uncertain.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

To be honest, you've pretty much already got a firm idea of what's up....  Nobody can really point to anything other than what you have already seen -- the track record doesn't exist.   

Adams is an extreme tools guy who didn't really focus on baseball until his last year of HS, and only after he realized he underperformed well in showcase games.   The Angels are getting that with coaching and experience, those tools will translate into production/performance.   Right now he's a collection of physical attributes that cannot be taught, and while that may not be much that was enough for many across baseball to believe he was the most physically gifted athlete in the draft.   

Whether the athlete becomes a ballplayer is still uncertain.

^^^^^^^  This is how you do it.

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

^^^^^^^  This is how you do it.

Well, it works better when your phone doesn't autocorrect words forcing you to go back and change words like getting into betting... Etc etc... But thanks.

I think pretty much everyone that's posted realizes Adams is super raw and super talented...   Doc said it best, lets check back in a year when there is more to measure

Jackie Robinson was known for being a track star at UCLA and not a good baseball player. He was a talented athlete in multiple sports, including tennis. Eventually superior athletic skill melded with baseball and he made the Hall of Fame.

You never know sometimes where the best athletes land, in the case of Adams it's the Angels farm system. Now it's up to the coaches to draw that talent out.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Jackie Robinson was known for being a track star at UCLA and not a good baseball player. He was a talented athlete in multiple sports, including tennis. Eventually superior athletic skill melded with baseball and he made the Hall of Fame.

You never know sometimes where the best athletes land, in the case of Adams it's the Angels farm system. Now it's up to the coaches to draw that talent out.

Andrelton Simmons comes to mind for me.  Gifted soccer player, great speed, quickness, foot work.  Started playing baseball and the skills definitely translated.  Obviously no guarantee it'll work for Adams, but it's not a bad idea.  It's the same thing the Angels did with Marsh in the second round.  While I'd prefer the Angels draft baseball players over athletes in the first round, I'm not going to complain if this works.

Personally, I'd prefer the Angels save these sort of picks for later rounds like they did with Hermosillo.  But Adams athletic ability wouldn't have allowed them to get him in the second round, so it seems like it was necessary if they wanted that sort of game changing talent. 

It might be something like this:

You draft ten high-ceiling athletes, three become regulars, two of whom become stars.

You draft ten high floor skill types, four become regulars, one of them a star.

Maybe Eppler is thinking "more stars, fewer solid regulars" is better than "more solid regulars, fewer stars." Or in the numbers above, 2 stars + 1 regular > 1 star + 3 regulars.

(The numbers aren't meant to do anything but make a point )

And yes, @True Grich, I did make that up as I wrote it, but was unaware that having a professional scouting credential was a prerequisite for participating on a fan forum.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

And yes, @True Grich, I did make that up as I wrote it, but was unaware that having a professional scouting credential was a prerequisite for participating on a fan forum.

So.,.. you didn't read the user agreement?  C'mon, man.

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It might be something like this:

You draft ten high-ceiling athletes, three become regulars, two of whom become stars.

You draft ten high floor skill types, four become regulars, one of them a star.

Maybe Eppler is thinking "more stars, fewer solid regulars" is better than "more solid regulars, fewer stars." Or in the numbers above, 2 stars + 1 regular > 1 star + 3 regulars.

(The numbers aren't meant to do anything but make a point )

Except it would seem Dipoto's was draft zero stars and a thousand pieces of depth fodder. Of course, I'm completely ignoring Newcomb, Jones, and Hermosillo.