• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

there really isn't much historical significance in regard to a player of Machado's caliber being available as a free agent for his age 26 season and beyond.  Yet there is such limited interest.  

someone explain that to me. 

It must be that all of baseball is wrong.   

and it's not like this is yesterday's baseball when pitcher wins and RBI reign supreme.  Teams spend millions of dollars on some of the smartest people available from top schools graduating with degrees in stuff that only ettin can explain.  So it's not like his numbers haven't been vetted.  

When 'makeup' means far less to a team than it ever has, it's the reason why a superstar player isn't getting any play.  

What does that tell you?   

36 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there really isn't much historical significance in regard to a player of Machado's caliber being available as a free agent for his age 26 season and beyond.  Yet there is such limited interest.  

someone explain that to me. 

It must be that all of baseball is wrong.   

and it's not like this is yesterday's baseball when pitcher wins and RBI reign supreme.  Teams spend millions of dollars on some of the smartest people available from top schools graduating with degrees in stuff that only ettin can explain.  So it's not like his numbers haven't been vetted.  

When 'makeup' means far less to a team than it ever has, it's the reason why a superstar player isn't getting any play.  

What does that tell you?   

It tells me that in their eyes he isn’t worth the risk.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

yes.  but why?  he's so good and he's available to sign at age 26.  

how bad of a guy do you have to be for so few teams to have interest in that type of player.  

If the Dodgers had only failed to make the playoffs or the World Series, Machado's epic douchebaggery would not have been on display for all of the GMs to see and really pay attention to. 

In those short 7 games he went from a sought after commodity to public enemy #1 in baseball. He couldn't have done a better job destroying his own reputation. Unnecessarily spiking players, hitting catchers with a reckless and oft intentional overswing, admiring his own hit that falls short of the fence then jogging to first base when a double was well in play. Then telling the press he's just not a hustling type of player.

Teams want his on paper stats, they just don't want the player attached to them. 

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

To those advocating signing Machado, are you just not concerned with his immaturity?

is immaturity the reason a 25 yo man purposefully attempts to injury people ?  

even if you're not johnny hustle, do you profess that to the media during the playoffs just prior to you becoming a free agent?  

To me, calling him immature implies that it's just age related and he's gonna turn a corner and be more mature at some point.  

I think this guy has a little something missing upstairs and teams know it so they're staying away from a long term commitment.  

what the hell are the reds doing?  

if they're going to go out and trade away prospects to get guys for one or two years, why wouldn't they just overpay for a guy like Keuchel?  Front load his contract and keep him tradeable on the back end.  

It's a shame we couldn't have off loaded Calhoun on them somehow.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

is immaturity the reason a 25 yo man purposefully attempts to injury people ?  

even if you're not johnny hustle, do you profess that to the media during the playoffs just prior to you becoming a free agent?  

To me, calling him immature implies that it's just age related and he's gonna turn a corner and be more mature at some point.  

I think this guy has a little something missing upstairs and teams know it so they're staying away from a long term commitment.  

Ty Cobb comes to mind, same disrespect for others.   Only, at this rate, I don’t see Machado playing long enough to sniff the HOF.

My guess is the players union would never allow it to happen, but it would be great if teams could have an opt out with long contracts just like players do.  For example, take the Jason Heyward contract that was a seven year deal with the Cubs.  I believe he has a player opt out option which is fine, but how great would it be if a team could have an opt out as well?  Clearly Heyward has not lived up to his contract, imagine if the Cubs could opt out of his contract after four years or something like that?

If players want long contracts to still be offered, a team opt out option is a way that could help it happen.

11 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

My guess is the players union would never allow it to happen, but it would be great if teams could have an opt out with long contracts just like players do.  For example, take the Jason Heyward contract that was a seven year deal with the Cubs.  I believe he has a player opt out option which is fine, but how great would it be if a team could have an opt out as well?  Clearly Heyward has not lived up to his contract, imagine if the Cubs could opt out of his contract after four years or something like that?

If players want long contracts to still be offered, a team opt out option is a way that could help it happen.

They do...its the team option/buyout clause.

Problem is, most players/agents don't agree to these clauses in the contracts. I still think the best course of action would be a base pay plus incentive based on position while removing the salary cap. You perform...cool you'll get paid. If you suck, well that's on you. insurances for injury of course. Its a win win for both sides. You can put in multiplers for players who stay with the same team for X number of years built into the incentives.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

what the hell are the reds doing?  

if they're going to go out and trade away prospects to get guys for one or two years, why wouldn't they just overpay for a guy like Keuchel?  Front load his contract and keep him tradeable on the back end.  

It's a shame we couldn't have off loaded Calhoun on them somehow.  

Im not suggesting i like the plan at all, but i think Heyman said it best, at least the Reds, Padres, and a couple others are actually trying to do something. 
3/4 of the league appears content to tank, those who we would think should be able to compete financially (like the Angels)  either actually cant or wont, the result is that the game has been reduced to a 3-4 team league and Houston's window is closing fast as they wont be able to retain most of the talent due to costs in all likelihood.
Basically if your not a NY/Bos/Dog fan, its not a lot of fun these days.   

15 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I like the idea of giving the team an opt out if the player doesn't hit set milestones along the way during their contract.  In return allow the player to initiate an opt out if they achieve a higher set milestone or if they are in the top 10% top 3 players of all mlb at their position.  This could be used for service time too.  Let a young star be a free agent earlier if they are in the top 10% at their position over a 2 or 3 year period.  As long as they get closer to pay based on performance and away from gauranteed contracts I will be happy and i think the product on the field will be better. 

The Reds could probably send India (they have Senzel and Suarez for 3B), Barnhart or Stephenson, Santillan & one of Mahle, Reed or Romano or Phillip Ervin/Jesse Winker for Realmuto and not miss a beat going forward. They have a deep farm system and wouldn't be trading anyone from their top 3 prospects (Senzel, Trammell and Greene).