Jump to content
  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
    Click on the image above to donate!

2018 Hot Stove League


Recommended Posts


VINTAGE. BASEBALL. STORY. 
Visit Big Fly Gear to get your baseball apparel today!
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10 day or 15 day DL... doesn't really matter.  Angels' pitchers only use the 60 day DL

"Snow is the greatest teammate I have ever had" - Josh Hamilton

drive home listening to mlb network heard something funny.   The had on Mike Ferrin to talk about the Goldschmidt trade and Jeff Joyce was asking Ferrin about the likelihood of the dbacks trading

Posted Images

I think the Angels will sign Machado. I base that on no inside information, but consider this:

If the Angels were indeed "kicking the tires" early this off-season as per Chuck and Scotty, then surely they were doing so without being completely stupid; they obviously didn't think they could get him for 3/39 or some shit. Remember back in the beginning of the off-season people were predicting 10/300 or more for Machado. 

The Angels have a gaping hole at 3rd. Could Ward be the future there? Maybe. Could Cozart be a solid stopgap until Arrenado hits the market? Maybe. But the Angels have a whole lot of "Maybes" in the infield next year. Machado would solve one of those. Plus, can you image a left side of Simmons and Machado? RIP any groundball hit to that side.

Also, Eppler's comments regarding Cody Allen and the budget are a bit odd. When does Eppler ever really talk about the budget? Why say that at all? Seems like it could be a ploy to tell other teams they are out on a certain guy....

Finally, the market has seemingly crashed for him. It seems almost certain he won't be getting a 10 year deal at this point. Hell, maybe Eppler can come in with a 6/180 offer and tell Machado he gets to cash out now, and then again in 6 years as a 32 year old ala Pujols. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, tdawg87 said:

I think the Angels will sign Machado. I base that on no inside information, but consider this:

If the Angels were indeed "kicking the tires" early this off-season as per Chuck and Scotty, then surely they were doing so without being completely stupid; they obviously didn't think they could get him for 3/39 or some shit. Remember back in the beginning of the off-season people were predicting 10/300 or more for Machado. 

The Angels have a gaping hole at 3rd. Could Ward be the future there? Maybe. Could Cozart be a solid stopgap until Arrenado hits the market? Maybe. But the Angels have a whole lot of "Maybes" in the infield next year. Machado would solve one of those. Plus, can you image a left side of Simmons and Machado? RIP any groundball hit to that side.

Also, Eppler's comments regarding Cody Allen and the budget are a bit odd. When does Eppler ever really talk about the budget? Why say that at all? Seems like it could be a ploy to tell other teams they are out on a certain guy....

Finally, the market has seemingly crashed for him. It seems almost certain he won't be getting a 10 year deal at this point. Hell, maybe Eppler can come in with a 6/180 offer and tell Machado he gets to cash out now, and then again in 6 years as a 32 year old ala Pujols. 

We keep hearing about how the Angels want to win in 2021. Getting 26 year old Manny Machado now would help a lot with that goal.  And it would help a lot right now as well.  The Angels are competing in Southern California.  The more stars the better.  They can afford him and his market is depressed.  Why wait for Arrenado ? That’s just a pipe dream.  If the Angels aren’t interested in Manny, they probably won’t be interested in Arrenado either. 

Edited by UndertheHalo
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

We keep hearing about how the Angels want to win in 2021. Getting 26 year old Manny Machado now would help a lot with that goal.  And it would help a lot right now as well.  The Angels are competing in Southern California.  The more stars the better.  They can afford him and his market is depressed.  Why wait for Arrenado ? That’s just a pipe dream.  If the Angels aren’t interested in Manny, they probably won’t be interested in Arrenado either. 

Does adding Machado right now make you a contender for the division?  Not from my standpoint.  So while it would help for the next couple years, I don't see it moving the needle in positive enough direction.  

On top of that, we've gone through the financial aspect of aligning his and Trout's contracts with others still on the books.  

Plus, maybe the're interested in someone like Arenado because he's a good teammate and he tries.  That could be the main reason by itself.  Where they don't want to commit 8 years to a guy that could wreck a clubhouse.  Maybe he wouldn't, but I think we're seeing a lot of teams that don't want to take that chance.  

And regardless of age, 8 years is a baseball eternity.  While I wouldn't have a problem doing an 8-10 year extension for Trout because he's on a far different level, there's still a fair amount of risk in that even with him.  Most of which come with what he becomes at age 34 and beyond.  An 8 year commitment to Manny is a whole different ballgame.  Maybe he spends a couple years being passive aggressive about the fact that he didn't get as much money as he thought he would. Maybe he pisses Trout off and he leaves.  Maybe his knees break down.  Maybe he comes in and his first two seasons are like 2017.  So you talk to him and he shrugs his shoulders without a care in the world.  Then you're stuck with him for 6 more years.  

You can't teach effort.  You can't coach him into effort.  You can't motivate him with money to provide more effort.  Especially when you've already guaranteed him that money.  

So yes, there are a ton of scenarios where the Angels would be way more interested in Arenado or Machado.  

Here's another point of upside to not signing him.  Let someone else give him 7/200 at age 26.  That'll potentially make Arenado more affordable at age 29 next year.  

Or go spend the money on a top flight pitcher next year and trade some prospects for a 3bman.  Or sign Xander Bogaerts or Anthony Rendon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Does adding Machado right now make you a contender for the division?  Not from my standpoint.  So while it would help for the next couple years, I don't see it moving the needle in positive enough direction.  

On top of that, we've gone through the financial aspect of aligning his and Trout's contracts with others still on the books.  

Plus, maybe the're interested in someone like Arenado because he's a good teammate and he tries.  That could be the main reason by itself.  Where they don't want to commit 8 years to a guy that could wreck a clubhouse.  Maybe he wouldn't, but I think we're seeing a lot of teams that don't want to take that chance.  

And regardless of age, 8 years is a baseball eternity.  While I wouldn't have a problem doing an 8-10 year extension for Trout because he's on a far different level, there's still a fair amount of risk in that even with him.  Most of which come with what he becomes at age 34 and beyond.  An 8 year commitment to Manny is a whole different ballgame.  Maybe he spends a couple years being passive aggressive about the fact that he didn't get as much money as he thought he would. Maybe he pisses Trout off and he leaves.  Maybe his knees break down.  Maybe he comes in and his first two seasons are like 2017.  So you talk to him and he shrugs his shoulders without a care in the world.  Then you're stuck with him for 6 more years.  

You can't teach effort.  You can't coach him into effort.  You can't motivate him with money to provide more effort.  Especially when you've already guaranteed him that money.  

So yes, there are a ton of scenarios where the Angels would be way more interested in Arenado or Machado.  

Here's another point of upside to not signing him.  Let someone else give him 7/200 at age 26.  That'll potentially make Arenado more affordable at age 29 next year.  

Or go spend the money on a top flight pitcher next year and trade some prospects for a 3bman.  Or sign Xander Bogaerts or Anthony Rendon.  

I think sticking Machado into the line up  completely changes the out look of the offense.  So I strongly disagree that he doesn’t move the needle much.  I think he massively moves the needle.  I think that sticking a young all star in a spot where the Angels basically have zero right now is hugely impactful.  And I’m not a guy that isn’t optimistic for Ward.  

I get people that don’t like Manny(im personally a lot less concerned about the things you’re  talking about but I’m not going to get into that).  That’s not my point.  We don’t know what it’ll look like next year.  There’s clearly a depressed market with Machado and to me that seems like an opportunity.  If they aren’t willing to leverage that, why do we keep acting like next year it’s going to be different ? It doesn’t make sense on its face.  If Arenado is that much more desirable isn’t he going to be that much more difficult to get ? To me, it doesn’t make sense to brush off currrent opportunity in favor of highly speculative things in the future.  If they want a 3B they should get the great one they have a good shot at now.  

Edited by UndertheHalo
Link to post
Share on other sites

In a vacuum if you gave me a choice between Arenado and Machado, sure I may pick Arenado if I just had to wait the one year for him (this is honestly a tough choice and I’d have to look at more closely) but that’s not how it works.  Manny seems to be there for the taking.  The Angels may not get as good a shot at Arenado. 

Its fun to think that they’re waiting to get Cole next year.  But again, that’s incredibly speculative.  There is the minor issue that maybe the Astros want to keep him.  Among other road blocks the Angels may face.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariners signed RHP Hunter Strickland to a one-year contract.

The financials of the deal remain unknown. Mariners' general manager Jerry Dipoto told reporters that "Strickland has the ability and the track record to be an impact reliever in high-leverage situations for the Mariners in 2019", which likely means that he's the favorite to enter the season as the team's closer. He owns a 2.91 ERA and 211/79 K/BB ratio across 226 innings in his big league career.
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I sure hope Rengifo becomes another Merrifield.

I believe if given the chance, he very well could be. Rengifo has a chance to break into the majors and make an impact well before Merrifield did as well. 

Also, I don't believe Merrifield will exceed his HR totals from last season. 2017 was out of nowhere, he never hit more than 9 HR in any given minor league season throughout his career coming up. 

Here's Merrifield's minor league career numbers.

 

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.39.59 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering why Eppler didn't sign Strickland for this price? He's surely a better bet to succeed than Bedrosian or Ramirez, right?

--

Greg Johns of MLB.com adds that Hunter Strickland is set to earn $1.3 million on his one-year contract with the Mariners.

That's an absurdly low cost of a high quality right-handed reliever who is expected to work in a high-leverage spot. Strickland was only expected to earn around $2.5 million through arbitration this season when the Giants inexplicably non-tendered him in November. Johns notes that Strickland can nearly double his salary based on incentives for games pitched and games finished. He also has two years of team control remaining as an arbitration-eligible player.
 
 
Source: MLB.com
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Wondering why Eppler didn't sign Strickland for this price? He's surely a better bet to succeed than Bedrosian or Ramirez, right?

--

Greg Johns of MLB.com adds that Hunter Strickland is set to earn $1.3 million on his one-year contract with the Mariners.

That's an absurdly low cost of a high quality right-handed reliever who is expected to work in a high-leverage spot. Strickland was only expected to earn around $2.5 million through arbitration this season when the Giants inexplicably non-tendered him in November. Johns notes that Strickland can nearly double his salary based on incentives for games pitched and games finished. He also has two years of team control remaining as an arbitration-eligible player.
 
 
Source: MLB.com

Because Strickland and Harper have issues and we’re going to sign Harper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, if a reliever is inexplicably non-tendered and then struggles to sign with anyone until the end of the offseason, and for little money and on a perceived cellar-dweller, there’s a good chance there’s something in the data or behind the scenes that’s scaring teams off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...