• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
    Click on the image above to donate!

2018 Hot Stove League

VINTAGE. BASEBALL. STORY. 
Visit Big Fly Gear to get your baseball apparel today!
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10 day or 15 day DL... doesn't really matter.  Angels' pitchers only use the 60 day DL

"Snow is the greatest teammate I have ever had" - Josh Hamilton

drive home listening to mlb network heard something funny.   The had on Mike Ferrin to talk about the Goldschmidt trade and Jeff Joyce was asking Ferrin about the likelihood of the dbacks trading

Posted Images

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Care to elaborate?  Links to all these vile and vicious things he's done to become one of the worst guys in the history of sports??

Machado is one of the best players in baseball. I don't think the Angels sign him at all but that doesn't mean he isn't great at his job.  Also, he was with the O's his whole career up until last season so he obviously isn't as bad as you think. If he was a horrible person, he would have been bounced around by now.

He is not going to be an Angel though so all the haters don't need to worry.

At least 2 bats to catchers' heads, 1 bat throw at a 3rd baseman, and the obvious from the playoffs.

Vontaze Burfict is the only other guy I can think of, and that's football, and a lot of guys have gone H2H in football. I've never heard of anyone else doing the battacks in baseball; it's always take-out slides and pitcher plunkings.

2 minutes ago, Barrett said:

This off season is hot garbage. Players association better be ready for a fight when the collective bargaining agreement comes to an end in December of 21. 

I agree that it will happen but the players union has no leg to stand on if they attack this as older players aren’t getting fair offers.  I’m in favor of less control at the beginning of careers.  Hell they should turn it all upside down and fix the pay scale for the minor leaguers while they are at it.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree that it will happen but the players union has no leg to stand on if they attack this as older players aren’t getting fair offers.  I’m in favor of less control at the beginning of careers.  Hell they should turn it all upside down and fix the pay scale for the minor leaguers while they are at it.  

This is 100% the biggest change they could make to revitalize the game.  Our best athletes for the most part jump to the faster money in the NBA or NFL over barely minimum wage in the bug leagues in the bus leagues. 

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Maybe lower club control in the beginning of the MLB career from 6 years to either 4 or 5 years? 

1 hour ago, Capital_Dave said:

I'll tell you what, that 7/$175M offer is getting a lot of ink today.  Now is the time, if you're Eppler, to make a one-time 24-hour take-it-or-leave-it offer.  8/$200M sounds like a good number: would be a terrific value...

Why would you do that?  If nobody is matching or close to the WSox offer, then offer him the same 7/175 and see if he really wants to play for a bad team in the hood....

43 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

At least 2 bats to catchers' heads, 1 bat throw at a 3rd baseman, and the obvious from the playoffs.

Vontaze Burfict is the only other guy I can think of, and that's football, and a lot of guys have gone H2H in football. I've never heard of anyone else doing the battacks in baseball; it's always take-out slides and pitcher plunkings.

The only other bat throws/attacks I even remember are Marichal (against Roseboro) in 1965, Campaneris (against Larren LaGrow) in 1972, and Jose Offerman (don't remember when it was).   And yet, Machado already has three of those types of incidents?????      No thank you! 

To me, it's not the clubhouse as much as the bad example he sets on the field with those incidents plus his saying he's not running out GB's fully.   

10 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

This seems like a ploy by Manny's people to get more clubs interested in him. No way this guy signs for 7/175. 

His ask was for $326. I don't think he comes close to that, but he will get more than 7/175. 8/228-248 is my guess.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25768995/mlb-five-moves-want-see-offseason-actually-happen

Los Angeles Angels sign Adam Ottavino

Let's see. The Angels signed Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill. They signed Jonathan Lucroy. They signed Justin Bour. If the Angels were conducting a 2015 simulation replay, you might want those. Alas, it's 2019, and that's not exactly a fearsome foursome.

Hey, it could work out. There's some minor upside to all four players. The Angels actually project to 84-78, which could put them in the thick of at least the wild-card race. They've already benefited from the Mariners tearing things down a bit, and the A's haven't done anything to build a rotation. So the Angels could still contend without doing anything. But they should do something, and adding Adam Ottavino makes sense. He won't cost as much as Craig Kimbrel and may actually be better over the next three or four seasons given the monster season he had with the Rockies with 112 K's in 77⅔ innings and a .158 average allowed. The back end of the Angels' bullpen remains unsettled, and Ottavino could be the closer or the eighth-inning guy to Ty Buttrey or Justin Anderson.

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

Yankees got outtavino

The Yankees have agreed to terms on a contract with free-agent reliever Adam Ottavino, ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets. Robert Murray and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic had reported seconds prior that the two sides were closing in on an arrangement believed to be worth roughly $25MM over three years (Twitter link).