• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ausmus's Coaching Staff

Hubs

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They are planning to announce the entire coaching staff at once, probably not for at least another week. Obviously, if I can find out any of the individual coaches before then, I'll report it.

Yeah that makes sense. Do you personally believe it will be all new coaches or most of the same, or half and half?

14 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yeah that makes sense. Do you personally believe it will be all new coaches or most of the same, or half and half?

I think they'll be mostly new.

For what it's worth, Nagy, Hinske, Radinsky, Bailey, Paul were all hired by Eppler. Ebel, Sorrento, Griffin, Soliz were not.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

On 10/26/2018 at 9:15 AM, NJHalo said:

I would like to see him name Pujols as a player/coach. This way when he is not being embarrassed when he is not in the lineup. Begin the transition now.  

I'm like...95% sure this won't happen, but I really like this idea. I like what Seattle has done with Ichiro, and I think we would be wise to do similar. Obviously he would be the most expensive hitting coach ever, but it kinda allows everyone to save face. And who knows, maybe he'd be good at it.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, Dochalo said:

have we officially determined that the plural of Ausmus is Ausmus's and not just Ausmus'?

english cop?  

*possessive

*English

:)

P.S.  In the Chicago Manual of Style Ausmus's is correct such as Shays's Rebellion or Adams's presidency.  I believe MLA allows Ausmus' but that's because MLA sucks; they now want only one space after a period.  Traitors!

I really don't give a fig about the coaching staff. Let's get going with the player personnel changes, already!!! Players win more ball games than coaches!!!!

We need to buck the retread strategy and sign some legit free agents. Doesnt have to be Machado or Harper types.

Mikey says winning is important. Getting good players is important to winning. Everybody south of the 605 wants Mikey to stay past 2020.

Are you about winning or making money, Arte? Forbes says you are worth 2.5 billion and the Angels are the 8th most valuable sports franchise in ANY sport. And you are worrying about exceeding a spending threshold by a few million?

@Jeff Fletcher - I'm curious about the process. Can you shed some light on it for us?  Do coaches actually apply for positions or does Billy go out and contact those he'd like to interview?  Does he actually interview them or do they just go out and contact who they want to hire? For example - Did White contact the Angels or did the Angels contact him?  I'm just curious how this all works.

22 hours ago, NorCal Halo said:

P.S.  In the Chicago Manual of Style Ausmus's is correct such as Shays's Rebellion or Adams's presidency.  I believe MLA allows Ausmus' but that's because MLA sucks; they now want only one space after a period.  Traitors!

It's an age thing. Anyone under the age of 40 learned to type on a computer screen, and multiple spaces just isn't necessary. There was a study published earlier this year that was presented as saying that double spaces were better; it turns out that the study was flawed and only showed the slightest of benefit for speed and comprehension.

Double spaces stick out like a sore thumb to me, personally.

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

@Jeff Fletcher - I'm curious about the process. Can you shed some light on it for us?  Do coaches actually apply for positions or does Billy go out and contact those he'd like to interview?  Does he actually interview them or do they just go out and contact who they want to hire? For example - Did White contact the Angels or did the Angels contact him?  I'm just curious how this all works.

It's not like there's a job board and people are sending resumes, when it comes to big league coaching jobs.

Basically, everyone in baseball knows someone who knows someone and it's all sort of word of mouth. The Angels have openings so Eppler and Ausmus sit down together and come up with a list of guys they'd like for each job. It could be people they knew or people referred to them by friends, but there won't be any total strangers who sent in a resume. Then they conduct interviews, most likely with both Eppler and Ausmus participating.

In the case of Doug White, I can tell you that Ausmus and AJ Hinch are good friends, so I am guessing that Hinch referred him, and then Ausmus-Eppler met him and they clicked. It's also possible that White knew Eppler and/or Ausmus previously, from somewhere else in their baseball lives. They all have San Diego connections.

When Ausmus got hired, I asked Eppler if they had known each other before he hired him as an assistant last year. Eppler said they just had a bunch of common friends (Ausmus was drafted by the Yankees and lived in San Diego for a long time), so Eppler introduced himself at the GM meetings a few years ago, probably when Ausmus was in the Padres front office. They had been just acquaintances after that. Once Ausmus was available after the Tigers fired him, Eppler called him and asked to meet, and then he hired him. 

On 10/29/2018 at 3:14 PM, krAbs said:

I'm like...95% sure this won't happen, but I really like this idea. I like what Seattle has done with Ichiro, and I think we would be wise to do similar. Obviously he would be the most expensive hitting coach ever, but it kinda allows everyone to save face. And who knows, maybe he'd be good at it.

When we play St. Louis this season pujols should be traded to them and left there

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, NorCal Halo said:

*possessive

*English

:)

What's their next step?    Allowing the ee cummings style of no capital letters?