• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols Is Done.... Less Than 200 AB's In 2019.

47 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The way I see it, the Angels will let the situation play itself out organically so that they can come ou of this still being the good guys. When the Hamilton thing went down, the Angels were caught in a PR nightmare of sorts because they were trying to get out of that contract. 

Pujols obviously deserves better than that and the Angels will eventually need better production from first base when the team is ready to compete. 

My guess is Pujols gives the Angels 110 starts at 1B in 2019, and whoever his replacement for the other 50 games outproduces him significantly, whether that be Fernandez, Thaiss, Walsh or whoever. This will make it so that once 2020 rolls around, Pujols will serve as more of a power bat off the bench while the Angels get more production at 1B. 

The situation will sort of solve itself. 

Well the situation will play itself out, but that doesn't mean it will be solved.

@Scotty..... A 30M power bat off the bench?...

At that point his avg would be worse as he would only be able to hit with runners on 2nd/3rd and 2 outs. To keep him away from the double play. And then the opposing manager would just walk him so then a pinch-runner has to be used.

You couldn't use him with less than 2 outs and a runner at first as hes a double play machine at this point 

AP#5 needs to hit Top 5 in the power #'s and walk off the field mid game and give a speech! He will do this before his career batting avg dips below .300 as we've spoken about before 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, Dtwncbad said:

I don't get all this talk of "negotiating a buyout."

I am not aware of any such thing existing.

The Angels owe him a certain amount of money and they will pay every penny of it.  There is no negotiating out of any part of the financial obligation.

The "negotiation" is coming up with a plan to get him off the field and off the active roster.

Probably more talking about over how many years to pay the remaining $59 million due him after 2019

Personally, I see Pujols getting whatever early season DH starts are needed until Ohtani is ready to hit in games.   Then after that, he gets only one DH start per week and a total of about 60 1B starts.   In other words, likely a total of around 90-100 1B/DH starts

He better hope that he can hit at least .250 in 2019, so he can then retire with a .300+ career BA.

50 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

@Scotty..... A 30M power bat off the bench?...

At that point his avg would be worse as he would only be able to hit with runners on 2nd/3rd and 2 outs. To keep him away from the double play. And then the opposing manager would just walk him so then a pinch-runner has to be used.

You couldn't use him with less than 2 outs and a runner at first as hes a double play machine at this point 

AP#5 needs to hit Top 5 in the power #'s and walk off the field mid game and give a speech! He will do this before his career batting avg dips below .300 as we've spoken about before 

That's what most people want to happen, but I don't think that's the way it'll play out. 

Pujols isn't a power bat. Look at his stats. He can't slug anymore. 

He's just worthless. The only option is to sit him on the bench and give Thaiss or Ward a chance. Or sign someone that can be league average.

Ohtani isn't going to sit against lefties, and we don't have to worry about him pitching next year. He will be the DH every single game...I'm sure Eppler and Ausmus have already discussed it.

12 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Pujols isn't a power bat. Look at his stats. He can't slug anymore. 

He's just worthless. The only option is to sit him on the bench and give Thaiss or Ward a chance. Or sign someone that can be league average.

Ohtani isn't going to sit against lefties, and we don't have to worry about him pitching next year. He will be the DH every single game...I'm sure Eppler and Ausmus have already discussed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the questions on the questionnaire asked how would the applicant manage Pujols in the line-up or maybe it was discussed during the interview process.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Eppler sits down with Pujols and has a heart to heart discussion with during the off season.  He'll probably tactfully tell him that to keep him fresh and healthy during the entire season, they'll limit his playing time.  This way, Pujols knows exactly how he'll be used and it will make Ausmus' job easier.

15 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the questions on the questionnaire asked how would the applicant manage Pujols in the line-up or maybe it was discussed during the interview process.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Eppler sits down with Pujols and has a heart to heart discussion with during the off season.  He'll probably tactfully tell him that to keep him fresh and healthy during the entire season, they'll limit his playing time.  This way, Pujols knows exactly how he'll be used and it will make Ausmus' job easier.

Being that Pujols is 39 in 2019, this makes perfect sense to do.   No 39 year-old in recent years, outside of Big Poopy, has done much of anything at the plate.    I predict a max of 90-100 starts at 1B/DH in 2019, and then retirement and collecting remaining $59 million (plus interest) over however many years. 

On 10/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, IEAngelsfan said:

It could have been discussed during the interview process, but Eppler has already stated that none of the written questions involved specific players.

• 11 months later...
On 10/20/2018 at 11:18 AM, Griffey's Corner said:

So I enjoy making predictions. Pujols proved this last year he cannot stay healthy. He proved that even having a full off-season to train he still would perform no better than he did in 2017. Now he will be a year older. It is obvious the Angels are doubling down on analytics..... not good for Pujols and the Pujols camp that wants to brag about his RBI's. 

1B was a disaster last year for the Angels. The greatest rate of improvement would be to improve 3B & 1B. Ohtani will not be benched for Pujols and Ohtani will be the DH. The money spent on Pujols is already gone..... Arte actually made money on the deal anyways. 

One big way to help Trout and make Trout happy is to have more offense so Trout gets more pitches to hit and has a better chance to knock in runs and score runs.

So in conclusion feel free to bump this thread if I am proven right and the impact bat is brought in to 1B. I know the consensus on this board is that this will not happen so it will make it even more interesting.

OK, your prediction sucked, he stayed healthy this year.  

On 10/22/2018 at 6:41 AM, Second Base said:

The way I see it, the Angels will let the situation play itself out organically so that they can come ou of this still being the good guys. When the Hamilton thing went down, the Angels were caught in a PR nightmare of sorts because they were trying to get out of that contract. 

Pujols obviously deserves better than that and the Angels will eventually need better production from first base when the team is ready to compete. 

My guess is Pujols gives the Angels 110 starts at 1B in 2019, and whoever his replacement for the other 50 games outproduces him significantly, whether that be Fernandez, Thaiss, Walsh or whoever. This will make it so that once 2020 rolls around, Pujols will serve as more of a power bat off the bench while the Angels get more production at 1B. 

The situation will sort of solve itself. 

Well Albert gave us about 100 games at first base and no one came close to out producing him in the other 60 games.  Something about a dead cat bounce.  

Without reading all the comments on here about how I was proven wrong and Pujol's had a bounce back year. His batting average is the same .245 as it was last year. He has 4 more HR's because he had more games, more at bats, more plate appearances, & the ball seems to be juiced this year.

I was expecting or hoping. Wishful thinking that The Angel's would bring in some better talent than Justin Bour.

It really is amazing that some posters on here celebrate mediocrity & crap. Pujol's with the Cardinals had seasons of .357 & .359 batting averages. One year is OBP was .462.  In 4 of the last 5 seasons Pujol's batting average has been .245 or lower. 9 of the 10 years of Pujol's contract will be a total disaster.... is first year was just bad based on the expectations & money. I remember a lot of posters at the time freaking out. I do not think Pujols should be a first ballot Hall Of Famer is legacy has been completely wrecked. Over half his career will be spent as a has been. A team that wishes they did not have him on the team.

The expectation level being so low is a big reason why the Angels are headed for their worst season in 20 years.

Same posters that celebrate Pujols might be the same ones that think Eppler has done an amazing job inheriting a team that had 11 winning seasons in the previous 14 years with one world title. And so far he has had 4 straight losing seasons.... with this one being the worst. Until 1 player from the farm pans out don't celebrate that either. He has had plenty to work with. Every year the Angels spend more than almost any team in baseball.  You win with pitching.... The pitching is worse now than it ever has been in the history of the entire franchise.

You guys keep talking about the team has been hamstrung because of the Pujol's contract. Almost every team has at least 1 bad contract. This is more than made up for Ohtani playing for peanuts and Trout taking a lot less money than he could have received. The Harvey & Cahill signings were moronic. 

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Without reading all the comments on here about how I was proven wrong and Pujol's had a bounce back year. His batting average is the same .245 as it was last year. He has 4 more HR's because he had more games, more at bats, more plate appearances, & the ball seems to be juiced this year.

I was expecting or hoping. Wishful thinking that The Angel's would bring in some better talent than Justin Bour.

It really is amazing that some posters on here celebrate mediocrity & crap. Pujol's with the Cardinals had seasons of .357 & .359 batting averages. One year is OBP was .462.  In 4 of the last 5 seasons Pujol's batting average has been .245 or lower. 9 of the 10 years of Pujol's contract will be a total disaster.... is first year was just bad based on the expectations & money. I remember a lot of posters at the time freaking out. I do not think Pujols should be a first ballot Hall Of Famer is legacy has been completely wrecked. Over half his career will be spent as a has been. A team that wishes they did not have him on the team.

The expectation level being so low is a big reason why the Angels are headed for their worst season in 20 years.

Same posters that celebrate Pujols might be the same ones that think Eppler has done an amazing job inheriting a team that had 11 winning seasons in the previous 14 years with one world title. And so far he has had 4 straight losing seasons.... with this one being the worst. Until 1 player from the farm pans out don't celebrate that either. He has had plenty to work with. Every year the Angels spend more than almost any team in baseball.  You win with pitching.... The pitching is worse now than it ever has been in the history of the entire franchise.

You guys keep talking about the team has been hamstrung because of the Pujol's contract. Almost every team has at least 1 bad contract. This is more than made up for Ohtani playing for peanuts and Trout taking a lot less money than he could have received. The Harvey & Cahill signings were moronic. 

Congrats! You won the Gold Medal in the Mental Gymnastics competition.

1 hour ago, Baghdad Strad said:

Goodwin and LaStella got your back. 

Yes I suppose they are poor men versions of muncy and Taylor. I suppose if La Stella does it for a full season, he can be what Taylor was his first couple years with the dogs, but Goodwin is a league average OF. 

20 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Yes I suppose they are poor men versions of muncy and Taylor. I suppose if La Stella does it for a full season, he can be what Taylor was his first couple years with the dogs, but Goodwin is a league average OF. 

And Taylor is better than league average?  

1 hour ago, Griffey's Corner said:

th.jpeg