• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hypothetical Blockbuster deal with Arizona

floplag

i didnt see this posted, thought it was interesting so... 

https://halohangout.com/2018/10/19/la-angels-make-blockbuster-deal/
Basically its us sending a bunch of prospects to Ari in exchange for Grienke and Goldschmidt with Ari taking on part of the money owed them, especially Grienke.

Obviously it crosses a lot of needs for us, though i still have doubts about Grienke.    Probably eats about 20 mil of the 30 we have to spend, solves the short term 1B issues and Goldy is only under contract for another year so not really blocking anyone long term.      Gives us Goldy at 1B with Pujols at DH to start 19 or a little vice versa flipping to keep both healthy. 

Does it leave enough to make the rest of the moves we need?  

just thought id share it... 

The last few times the LA Angels have made monster offseason moves, it has not ended well.

Yeah except for Upton. And Simmons.

Also, Goldy has a team option for 2019. If they don't pick it up, he's a free agent.

However, a big road block to Goldschmidt playing for the Angels is the Albert Pujols conundrum. It would also be a one-year rental, as Goldschmidt is going to hit free agency in 2019.

This paragraph makes me want to shoot myself. Just read it. 

Pointless article imho

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I like the idea. But Ohtani is DH and Pujols is at first. I don’t see any scenario where they try and upgrade that position if it’s not Pujols at first it’ll be some super low cost guy/prospect and only because Pujols is injured. 

Ohtani isn't there for probably half of 2019.  That's why it made some sense.   In my mind about the time he returns is when Albert starts to think about mortality. 
Again i'm not championing the deal, i just read it and thought id share it is all as it had some merit, but im not sure i like it as the prospect cost would be hefty im sure especially if they eat half Grienke's money. 

15 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah except for Upton. And Simmons.

Also, Goldy has a team option for 2019. If they don't pick it up, he's a free agent.

This paragraph makes me want to shoot myself. Just read it. 

Pointless article imho

Im not suggesting i agree with everything in the article, and you are mostly right about your comments, however at some point were going to have to stop getting our panties in a twist over Albert, it is what it is, dwelling on it is what is pointless.  

I'm guessing he hangs it up after 19 personally.  If/when we bring in another 1B that does better or he gets pressed by a rookie, hes going to figure it out.    However, until we do something to provide a better option, he has no reason to. 

Again?

Why would the Angels consider this based on what it would cost and what is received?

Cost: Lots of prospects that could be difference makers in the future and for a long time into the future.

Receive: Old and very expensive pitcher/1 year rental for an excellent outfielder.

No.

No.

F*ck No.

No.

34 minutes ago, floplag said:

Did it hurt you to read the abbreviation somehow?  FFS the shit people bitch about.  

It's not bitching, it's just that some of us find it annoying when people abbreviate stuff and we have to figure out what they're talking about.

Arizona abbreviated is AZ, I dont know what Ari is, I thought it was someone's name.

40 minutes ago, floplag said:

Ohtani isn't there for probably half of 2019.  That's why it made some sense.   In my mind about the time he returns is when Albert starts to think about mortality. 
Again i'm not championing the deal, i just read it and thought id share it is all as it had some merit, but im not sure i like it as the prospect cost would be hefty im sure especially if they eat half Grienke's money. 

Yeah, that’s not even close to true. 

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

What is true ...  the Angels are not going to take any chances delaying the healing process. Pitching will take priority over hitting. 

There’s been no indication that his rehab will prevent him from pitching anywhere close to half the season. I’m quoting from memory, but Fletcher mixed that notion a week back or so and suggested 500+(iirc) AB’s is more likely. Anything can happen with rehab and injuries, but you never trade for a top 1B because you assume Ohtani will play only half the season. That’s lunacy.

Greinke is 35 and owed over 100 mil.  If you get the dbacks to eat some of that it's still going to be around 75 mil for age 35, 36, 37 seasons for a guy that has lost 3 mph off his stuff over the past 3 years.  And then you get Goldy on a rental deal?  The combo of the two would cost 40 m in 2019.  

This is the complete and utter opposite of the type of trade we should make right now.  Literally a perfect example of what not to do.  

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Greinke is 35 and owed over 100 mil.  If you get the dbacks to eat some of that it's still going to be around 75 mil for age 35, 36, 37 seasons for a guy that has lost 3 mph off his stuff over the past 3 years.  And then you get Goldy on a rental deal?  The combo of the two would cost 40 m in 2019.  

This is the complete and utter opposite of the type of trade we should make right now.  Literally a perfect example of what not to do.  

I would honestly do it. As long as it's only a salary dump by the Dbacks and no good prospects are traded.

Goldshmidt is the kind of bat the angels need right now at 1b, and Greinke is a 200 inning guy, something this team desperately needs. It would be a risk, but it's the only way the angels can reach the playoffs next year. If they still dont make the playoffs then you can trade Goldschmidt for prospects.

Pujols needs to retire or be DL'd for the entire year though.