• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels Offseason Options: Daniel Descalso

He's basically a cheaper version of Valbuena before Valbuena became a sub-minor league caliber player. I don't really think he blocks anyone other than Marte returning, which is cool with me. If Fletcher, Fernandez, Ward, Thaiss, Rengifo are up, I expect them to play. I don't expect them to grab someone like Descalso expecting him to fill significant AB's. But when you've got Ohtani and Pujols, you need some flexibility. at utility. Maybe Fletcher is the utility guy - his defense appears better, as does his contact ability and average, but he gives up some in on-base, power, and maybe the amount of positions he can feasibly back up.

I wouldn't be crowing if we signed someone like Descalso, but I wouldn't be crying either. 

59 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

While we're at it...

Jefry Marte .273

Jose Fernandez .309

David Fletcher .316

Taylor Ward .245

Angels team .313

AL Average .318

And, Descalso's last 3 years ... .344

----

Also, I was told today by a member of the front office that my choice of players so far in this series was "pretty good." Not to pat myself on the back, but just to let you know that I'm trying to find realistic options, not fantasyland scenarios.

New position? Assistant GM Fletcher?

We need a unicorn.  

The team has 30m to spend.  We need two rotation arms, upgrades at C, 2b, 3b, and especially 1b in order to compete in 2019. 

The mythical player would platoon at 1b offering a significant upgrade to Valbuena's production (not hard) but also be good enough to convince the powers that be that he should steal at bats from Albert. He would also play a capable 3b when Albert is playing.  He can also work as a 4th OFer or Calhoun replacement should he falter.  For all of that, he should cost less than 3m per year.  

It amounts to Eppler finding the next Max Muncy.  Since that's completely unrealistic, I would take a bat first platoon partner at 1b that can play 3b if needed.  If we had to go with Fletcher and Cozart at 3b and 2b respectively, at least their defense would make up for a lack of offense to some degree.  I just don't see JMF being the answer.  I hope he is because that would make things easy.  I don't see Rengifo, Ward or Walsh breaking camp with the major league club as much as I like them for the future.  

Descalso could be a nice fit.  He's likely an upgrade over JMF and checks a few other boxes including the likelihood that he'll be cheap.  Marwin Gonzalez also fits the bill but is likely going to be paid far more.  I think Eppler will also bring a few minor league free agents in to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

We need a unicorn.  

The team has 30m to spend.  We need two rotation arms, upgrades at C, 2b, 3b, and especially 1b in order to compete in 2019. 

The mythical player would platoon at 1b offering a significant upgrade to Valbuena's production (not hard) but also be good enough to convince the powers that be that he should steal at bats from Albert. He would also play a capable 3b when Albert is playing.  He can also work as a 4th OFer or Calhoun replacement should he falter.  For all of that, he should cost less than 3m per year.  

It amounts to Eppler finding the next Max Muncy.  Since that's completely unrealistic, I would take a bat first platoon partner at 1b that can play 3b if needed.  If we had to go with Fletcher and Cozart at 3b and 2b respectively, at least their defense would make up for a lack of offense to some degree.  I just don't see JMF being the answer.  I hope he is because that would make things easy.  I don't see Rengifo, Ward or Walsh breaking camp with the major league club as much as I like them for the future.  

Descalso could be a nice fit.  He's likely an upgrade over JMF and checks a few other boxes including the likelihood that he'll be cheap.  Marwin Gonzalez also fits the bill but is likely going to be paid far more.  I think Eppler will also bring a few minor league free agents in to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle.  

This unicorn you describe actually sounds like Wil Myers to me.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Except for the $20 million price tag and the cost of prospects.  

exactly.  

Someone made a comment that this off season was very important because Eppler could actually do more harm than good if he gets too aggressive with moving prospects too early unless its for someone who has 5+ years of control.   Wil Myers is a nice player that's about to make what he'd cost as a free agent.  That's not the point of trading for a guy unless you are getting him on the cheap in terms of prospects.  

I already mentioned who the unicorn was right now in Max Muncy.  

In addition to Descalso being an option, Jed lowrie could also be a decent pickup on a 1yr deal.  

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

As I said in another thread, I really like Wil Myers, but the circumstances make him a bad fit for this team.

The thing with Myers is his contract is so bad that the Padres would probably give him up for not much prospect cost if you take his whole salary. Also, he only makes $5M in 2019, which is very reasonable, but then it goes up to $22M.

The Angels could balance that by getting some one-year options at pitcher, clearing some payroll for 2020 (when Ohtani is back). 

Its still a lot of money in 2020 for him, when they’ll also have Trout, Pujols and Upton making big bucks. 

Trade for Myers (5M), trade for Gray (9M), sign Sabathia/Gio/Happ (10M), sign Phil Hughes (500k) for one year. Sign Kurt Suzuki (4M) to share with Arcia/Briceño.

Thats all affordable for 2019, but still leaves holes for 2020 since they’re all one-year band aids. On the other hand, you havent given up any good prospects. 

You’re going to need them since Myers is going to eat up so much salary in 2020.

I think Myers is helpful in theory, but in reality his salary is too much to allow them to do other stuff. Now, if you wanna give up better prospects to have the Padres eat some....

What about Jonathon Villar? I don't see the Orioles holding on to him since they are in full rebuild mode and he will be gone by the time they hope to be good again 

Doesn't have the obp Epplers looking for but plays well defensively all over the infield - and there's a chance to hit a grand slam and have another year like he did in 2016 - or he could stink like 2017 but might be worth the risk since I don't think he would cost much

On 10/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

The thing with Myers is his contract is so bad that the Padres would probably give him up for not much prospect cost if you take his whole salary. Also, he only makes $5M in 2019, which is very reasonable, but then it goes up to $22M.

The Angels could balance that by getting some one-year options at pitcher, clearing some payroll for 2020 (when Ohtani is back). 

Its still a lot of money in 2020 for him, when they’ll also have Trout, Pujols and Upton making big bucks. 

Trade for Myers (5M), trade for Gray (9M), sign Sabathia/Gio/Happ (10M), sign Phil Hughes (500k) for one year. Sign Kurt Suzuki (4M) to share with Arcia/Briceño.

Thats all affordable for 2019, but still leaves holes for 2020 since they’re all one-year band aids. On the other hand, you havent given up any good prospects. 

You’re going to need them since Myers is going to eat up so much salary in 2020.

I think Myers is helpful in theory, but in reality his salary is too much to allow them to do other stuff. Now, if you wanna give up better prospects to have the Padres eat some....

Myers is a great fit in theory. He backs up Albert at 1B, a position where you have to figure there'll be 40+ available starts. He'll get the majority of the starts in RF where he really isn't that bad defensively. And finally, he could shift over to third base should a need ever arise. He's the right age, and has the skill set you're looking for. 

As much as we talk about prospect capital, actual money definitely has to factor in. 20 million a year for Myers means several million not available for things the Angels might actually need, like pitching.