• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Outside of the Box

Hubs

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

Another Outside the Box is Former Angel...David Freese. As a bench /  platoon bat at 1st and 3rd, he wouldn't be too expensive, and while he may not hit like he's hit so far with the Dodgers, you know he's going to be basically solid.

Didn’t we already see enough from this guy.  He hasn’t got better.  He just went to more hitter friendly place.  

Isn’t he batting like .140 or something terrible in the playoffs ?  David Freese is one of these bullshit “gamer” types that dumb ass jocks in the media worship because he had a few good games in October like 6 years ago. 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:14 AM, Dtwncbad said:

How about something ambitious like pursuing Jose Berrios from the Twins?

I am sure if I posted a suggested package to land Berrios the arguments would follow as the package being too much to give up or not enough to get him.

How about I just suggest being willing to pay a fair price for him with the goal of not including Adell or Canning?

I think the Twins are ripe for a full teardown.

How realistic? There is nothing to suggest they would even listen but the headline of the thread is "out of the box" . . .

we may not be able to pry Berrios away, but I could see us adding someone like Gibson or Odorizzi.  Neither make it move, but after a couple of FA signs, it could make someone expendable in trade.  

Berrios would cost Canning for sure.  Twins pitching prospects aren't as strong as their position players.  Rebuilding teams don't usually trade their best young pitcher with 4yrs of control.  We'd have to blow them away.  We're not there yet.   

So far I've listed Marcus Stroman, Chris Archer, Starling Marte and the Padres pitchers as some outside the box options.  I'd just like to add a couple more.....

Salvador Perez - The Angels need to shore up catcher and he's a great defender with power in his bat.  Lacks OBP though. 

Danny Duffy - Finds the middle ground between IP (typically around 150) and the inconsistent, yet semi-frequently occurring spurts of dominance. 

Robbie Ray - Definitely capable of ace-level production. 

Some other players I think could do well here are Derrick Rodriguez (Giants) and Kyle Freeland (Rockies). Not big strike out guys, but they did a great job of getting outs last year. With our defense and Angel Stadium being pitcher friendly, I could see them having pretty solid years here. And the fact that they aren't all that flashy and don't get the strike outs might lower their value.

If the Angels are looking more for young strike out pitchers, maybe we can see what the Phillies want for Nick Pivetta or Vince Velasquez. Coming off very unappealing years, but they throw hard and have some good stuff. Could be just a step away from a break out.

How About Wil Myers?
Not sexy stat wise but can play the OF and both corner IF spots and SD has more OF than they know that to do with. 
His numbers away from Petco were actually very good last year, putting up a line of 297/357/516/873
I cant imagine him costing that much in trade due to his future cost, which is also a huge negative as after 2020 he kicks up to 20 mil per for 3 seasons.  If we could get them to eat some of that with a better prospect id like it a lot more.
I dont think he fits what Eppler wants though in terms of higher OBP guys. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

How About Wil Myers?
Not sexy stat wise but can play the OF and both corner IF spots and SD has more OF than they know that to do with. 
His numbers away from Petco were actually very good last year, putting up a line of 297/357/516/873
I cant imagine him costing that much in trade due to his future cost, which is also a huge negative as after 2020 he kicks up to 20 mil per for 3 seasons.  If we could get them to eat some of that with a better prospect id like it a lot more.
I dont think he fits what Eppler wants though in terms of higher OBP guys. 

I really like Wil Myers.  He's a better hitter than most realize.  But he's shown an extended history of injury, enough to where these fluke injuries aren't so flukey anymore. If he can stay healthy, he's an all-star.  But with a contract that will pay him 20 million a year, it's hard to justify trading for him.  Sure, he's a huge upgrade over Calhoun in RF, but when he gets hurt, which he inevitably will, what are you stuck with?  And if he slides over to 1B, that's a good spot when Albert's hurt, except that now you're blocking Thaiss, Fernandez and Walsh and have increased your payroll enough to prevent you from spending money elsewhere. 

Like him as a player, but he's not a fit, I don't think. 

On 10/20/2018 at 1:12 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Trade Ward and Baldoquin to Dipoto for James Paxton.

Give Rickey Henderson extensive stem cell treatments and give him the starting LF job as the leadoff hitter, moving Upton to RF.

Thaw Ted Williams' head and attach it to the body of an athletic Dominican teenager and hope for the best.

AJ, you win!

Lock it down.....