• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Outside of the Box

Hubs

We have in the past two weeks seen a bunch of different offseason projection threads, but I wanted to start this one in order to ask what outside of the normal FA or trade candidate would you add to the team if you could and why?

So Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, JT Realmuto, etc, wouldn't qualify, but disccusing guys no one traditionally expects the Angels to go for is what I'm after.

I'll go first. Sign Andrew McCutchen to a 1 or 2 year deal.

McCutchen has taken a step back since his NL MVP days, but he had a decent year after a great September with the Yankees. He plays mostly RF, which would put Kole Calhoun as the primary OF backup, and also as a defensive replacement, plus, Calhoun could then get half the starts at 1B (with Pujols getting the other half). So if McCutchen and Upton are limited to say 145-150 games, and Trout plays 155 or more, though he has missed time to injury in the last two years, you'd end up with Calhoun starting 30-40 or so games in the OF and 70-80 at 1st.

He'd also be a nice lefty bat off the bench, for pinch hitting duty.

And if Adell is ready after one year, but McCutchen rakes, you have a trade asset in both of the Angels Corner OF in 2020. Or I suppose you could shift one of them to 1st, as many players do in the later career if Albert retires early.

McCutchen's stat line is available here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccutan01.shtml

He has slipped, but not as far as some think, over the past two years, he still averaged a .360+ OBP (.357 and .368) with 30 2B (30 and 30) and 24 HR (28 and 20).

Clear improvement over Kole, He's a MOTO bat or can be the leadoff guy if no one else is capable of leading off.

53 minutes ago, Hubs said:

McCutchen has taken a step back since his NL MVP days, but he had a decent year after a great September with the Yankees. He plays mostly RF, which would put Kole Calhoun as the primary OF backup, and also as a defensive replacement, plus, Calhoun could then get half the starts at 1B (with Pujols getting the other half). So if McCutchen and Upton are limited to say 145-150 games, and Trout plays 155 or more, though he has missed time to injury in the last two years, you'd end up with Calhoun starting 30-40 or so games in the OF and 70-80 at 1st.

And if Adell is ready after one year, but McCutchen rakes, you have a trade asset in both of the Angels Corner OF in 2020. Or I suppose you could shift one of them to 1st, as many players do in the later career if Albert retires early.

McCutchen's stat line is available here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccutan01.shtml

He has slipped, but not as far as some think, over the past two years, he still averaged a .360+ OBP (.357 and .368) with 30 2B (30 and 30) and 24 HR (28 and 20).

Clear improvement over Kole, He's a MOTO bat or can be the leadoff guy if no one else is capable of leading off.

I think Cutch makes sense, at the right price and contract length, too.

But I dont see him as a MOTO hitter in our lineup. I like that OBP as a leadoff hitter who can still go from first to third on a single.

I already gave mine in other threads and it would include either Eugenio Suarez or Nick Senzel from the Reds for one of Heaney or Skaggs.  It would also likely include prospects from us and could be expanded to include calhoun, and barnhart.  

my other targets would mostly be centered around guys who have underachieved some that Billy and his team have scouted and think are ready to take off.  

Carlos Rodon: I think he's lost his way a bit.  He's also lost some velo which could be mechanical but he's still 93+ as a lefty.  I think he could benefit from a legit defense and a more neutral park.  He had this odd bump of his FB rate this year almost 10% above his career.  He's controlled through 2021.  I'd also like to get Navarez (C).  26yo with 120 ops+ this year.  They almost need to rebuild from the their rebuild.  They've got a bunch of top 100 prospects still that are at the A+/AA level so I think they'd do a prospect deal but it would likely have to include some of our top prospects.   

we take Russel Martin and half of his $20 mil as a salary dump from TOR.  

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d like to see us go after Trevor Rosenthal.   A nice buy low closer candidate.  

He actually had a season comparable to his previous solid seasons, aside from slightly higher than normal ERA, and even set a personal high for K's/inning at 1.6.   

Wouldn't he be a 2019 rental though? 

I think he is a FA.

Year Age Tm Salary SrvTm Sources Notes/Other Sources
2013 23 St. Louis Cardinals $490,000 0.058 contracts  
2014 24 St. Louis Cardinals $521,000 1.058 contracts  
2015 25 St. Louis Cardinals $535,000 2.058 contracts  
2016 26 St. Louis Cardinals $5,600,000 3.058    
2017 27 St. Louis Cardinals $6,400,000 4.058 contracts  
  Earliest Arb Eligible: 2016, Earliest Free Agent: 2019
Career to date (may be incomplete) $13,546,000  
Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

I'd like to see them trade for Chris Archer and Starling Marte.

The Pirates gambled big when they were in the middle of the race by sending Meadows and Glasnow to TB for Archer. It was a terrible idea because the Pirates completely misused and had no idea what they had in Glasnow in the first place. 

So there's a rebuild that's going to be happening in Pittsburgh, and the sooner they can start it, the better. I'd offer them Brandon Marsh, Jahmai Jones, Matt Thaiss, Jose Suarez, Chris Rodriguez and Kole Calhoun for the two of them. 

Marte takes over RF immediately, Archer slots in toward the front of the Angels rotation and the money incurred isn't severe because of the offloading of the Calhoun contract. Pittsburgh may be inclined to do it because that is a freakin haul of good prospects, many of which would be ready to help very soon. Plus if Calhoun performs there, they'd get even more prospect capital when they flip him at the deadline. 

For the Angels, it helps transform the offense by putting a very dynamic hitter on in front of Trout, doesn't hurt the defense, allows them to take their time with Adell (if he's ready and if Trout is staying, then Adell moves to LF and Upton moves to 1B, sorry Albert), strengthens the rotation, offers them controllable assets without busting payroll wide open, and allows them to keep their elite prospects (Adell and Canning), while only trading prospects that are blocked in the system (Marsh wouldn't have a place with Marte and Adell flanking Trout, Jones still has Cozart, Fletcher and Rengifo in front of him, Thaiss has Albert and JMF, Suarez has Archer, Canning, Barria, etc...). Given their most recent draft (Adams, Jackson, Hernandez), the Angels system still has elite talent, plus they've been active on the international market with the likes of Maitan, Soto, Uceta, Deveaux, Knowles and Alex Ramirez. This next draft would basically replenish much of the talent lost in this trade, particularly if the Angels go pitching heavy as expected, 

It makes the Angels better in 2019, but helps them even more in 2020 and beyond, which figures to be the competitive window. 

9 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd like to see them trade for Chris Archer and Starling Marte.

The Pirates gambled big when they were in the middle of the race by sending Meadows and Glasnow to TB for Archer. It was a terrible idea because the Pirates completely misused and had no idea what they had in Glasnow in the first place. 

So there's a rebuild that's going to be happening in Pittsburgh, and the sooner they can start it, the better. I'd offer them Brandon Marsh, Jahmai Jones, Matt Thaiss, Jose Suarez, Chris Rodriguez and Kole Calhoun for the two of them. 

Marte takes over RF immediately, Archer slots in toward the front of the Angels rotation and the money incurred isn't severe because of the offloading of the Calhoun contract. Pittsburgh may be inclined to do it because that is a freakin haul of good prospects, many of which would be ready to help very soon. Plus if Calhoun performs there, they'd get even more prospect capital when they flip him at the deadline. 

For the Angels, it helps transform the offense by putting a very dynamic hitter on in front of Trout, doesn't hurt the defense, allows them to take their time with Adell (if he's ready and if Trout is staying, then Adell moves to LF and Upton moves to 1B, sorry Albert), strengthens the rotation, offers them controllable assets without busting payroll wide open, and allows them to keep their elite prospects (Adell and Canning), while only trading prospects that are blocked in the system. It makes the Angels better in 2019, but helps them even more in 2020 and beyond, which figures to Ben the competitive window. 

This is the exact kind of trade Dipoto would swing, no offense to you. We better not ruin this farm system that took 6 years to rebuild unless we are getting back a legit ace like Degrom and going all in to win. 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

This is the exact kind of trade Dipoto would swing, no offense to you. We better not ruin this farm system that took 6 years to rebuild unless we are getting back a legit ace like Degrom and going all in to win. 

None taken. As I said in the post, we aren't trading a single prospect that isn't already blocked, we keep our two elite prospects in Adell and Canning, we still have a metric ton of talent from this years draft and this year and last years international signing class that has gone untouched, and despite not getting DeGrom, you're getting one of the best OF's in the game and a mid-rotation starter.

I think a move like this can transform the system, and the Angels have the actual depth to pull it off and still have a strong farm. 

44 minutes ago, floplag said:

What does that even mean anymore in baseball reference? 
Everyone seem to only care about analytics, 3 true outcomes, and live action strat-o-matic so wouldn't going outside the box be to buck the trend?  going old school?   

Sure, or just suggesting someone other than the top 5 free agents and/or trade targets, suggesting adding someone at a position that is mostly taken care of, etc.

How about something ambitious like pursuing Jose Berrios from the Twins?

I am sure if I posted a suggested package to land Berrios the arguments would follow as the package being too much to give up or not enough to get him.

How about I just suggest being willing to pay a fair price for him with the goal of not including Adell or Canning?

I think the Twins are ripe for a full teardown.

How realistic? There is nothing to suggest they would even listen but the headline of the thread is "out of the box" . . .

I think another outside the box idea I'd like to see the Angels investigate is trading for a couple of the Padres starting pitching prospects.  They have like 15 really good ones, many of which will arrive in the next couple years.  Basically a bunch of guys that profile somewhere between Jose Suarez and Griffin Canning.

Trade some of our excess position players (Jones, Thaiss....) for a couple of them and you don't have to worry about pitching for the next half decade. 

22 hours ago, Hubs said:

I've been seeing this a lot lately. Can Calhoun play 1B?

3 hours ago, Torridd said:

I've been seeing this a lot lately. Can Calhoun play 1B?

He played 1B in college and 1B in the minors at A+ ball.

It's not ideal, because he's a superior fielder in RF, but you make due with what you have.

Another Outside the Box is Former Angel...David Freese. As a bench /  platoon bat at 1st and 3rd, he wouldn't be too expensive, and while he may not hit like he's hit so far with the Dodgers, you know he's going to be basically solid.