• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moving to Colorado. Tips?

failos

21 hours ago, failos said:

I’m moving to Colorado tomorrow for a job. Was born and raised in CA, so this will be a big change. I’m moving to the Boulder area.

Are any of you familiar with the area? Nobody likes California transplants, so I want to make a great impression 

In all seriousness, you'll love it here.  Boulder is a great area.  If you like microbreweries, you're moving to the Napa Valley micro brews. 

Enjoy! 

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

In all seriousness, you'll love it here.  Boulder is a great area.  If you like microbreweries, you're moving to the Napa Valley micro brews. 

Enjoy! 

thanks man, I'm technically in Lafayette right now. It's cold af and the driving is all sorts of crazy. It was snowing on the freeway and they don't have lights on the side of the road so you can't see shit. It's going to take some time to get used to this madness. Not once did I see an In-N-Out.

I'm a lager fan and Coors is my guilty pleasure. Will check out some microbreweries.

8 hours ago, failos said:

thanks man, I'm technically in Lafayette right now. It's cold af and the driving is all sorts of crazy. It was snowing on the freeway and they don't have lights on the side of the road so you can't see shit. It's going to take some time to get used to this madness. Not once did I see an In-N-Out.

I'm a lager fan and Coors is my guilty pleasure. Will check out some microbreweries.

If you don't have a AWD car, sell what you have and get one!  My top pro tip for living here.  My kid has a baseball showcase in Superior this morning.  (Superior is not far from you).  Took me an hour to drive down from Loveland.  Should have taken about 40 minutes. 

In-N-Out will be here soon!!!  Right @Stradling?!

I lived in Boulder for 4 years after school and loved it, intended to move back but kinda got settled back here in California.  It's changed a bit and now seems more of an extension of the SF techy type world, but I definitely had a great time in my late 20's living near Pearl Street.  My favorite area to live was North Boulder up by Breadworks, pretty chill and away from the craziness of the University.  Personally I like the laid-back suburby feel of Boulder, but I have some friends who love parts of Denver.

It's true about the weather, it can flip on a dime.  Warm sunny days are usually no more than a few days out.  I got by with a little 2wd fine, without chains, including daily driving to Denver for work for a year, though I mostly stayed in Boulder.  That said I'd get a 4wd if you can afford it.

Definitely find something outdoors you like, I usually had the ski pass for the Breckenridge resorts, went up every two weeks or so with friends/coworkers and would rent out a place.  Tons of great hiking around, RMNP is amazing, lots of cyclists torturing themselves up the canyons.  Ground central for rock climbing.  

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

If you don't have a AWD car, sell what you have and get one!  My top pro tip for living here.  My kid has a baseball showcase in Superior this morning.  (Superior is not far from you).  Took me an hour to drive down from Loveland.  Should have taken about 40 minutes. 

In-N-Out will be here soon!!!  Right @Stradling?!

3 or 4 years.  

My wife and I moved from SoCal to Colorado in 2015. We moved back last year, mostly because of family.

We lived in Colorado Springs, which has slightly different weather than Boulder. But we never had an AWD/4WD vehicle and did just fine. The snowstorms are few and far between. There are a handful (maybe 2 or 3) instances during the winter when it snows for a day or more, and the snow sticks for several days. 90% of the time when it snows, it melts by the afternoon.

Boulder's a great location. You're super close to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, which is great for camping and exploring. You can pass through Denver and hop right on the 70 and drive into the mountains toward Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen, and Glenwood Springs. You're also close to Denver, of course.

Colorado is a beautiful place. There are hundreds of hiking trails. It's basically an outdoor enthusiast's paradise. We missed some of the entertainment options California has to offer (Disneyland, the beach, Angel Stadium, etc.), but if you're not too attached to any of that, you'll find plenty to do. It will probably take you about 6 months to fully acclimate to the elevation.