• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde on Angels’ managerial list

Brandon Hyde, the Chicago Cubs bench coach, is among the candidates to be interviewed for the Angels’ managerial job, according to multiple sources.

Hyde, a product of Long Beach State, has been with the Cubs since 2014, under both Rick Renteria and Joe Maddon. This season was his first as bench coach. Hyde also reportedly interviewed for the opening with the Texas Rangers this week.

The Angels are planning interviews with at least 10 candidates for the job. The only two confirmed candidates are Joe Espada, the Houston Astros bench coach, and Hyde.

Internal candidates Brad Ausmus, Eric Chavez, Dino Ebel and Josh Paul are also believed to be on the list.

View the full article

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Who has MLB experience and is available, that you'd want?

Doesnt matter what I want. Just a comment about the lack of experience in these candidates, and wondering if that is intentional. 

I've always like Showalter, but I have no idea if he is a good fit for THIS front office or THIS team, however it is constituted before 2019. But he is a solid strategy guy who seemed well-liked by the Oriole players.

We've had some recent examples of managers with no MLB experience who, according to the reports I've read, struggled as managers. Ausmus was one of them. Dave Martinez. Gabe Kapler. Scott Servais. Dont know how true all that is.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Showalter was more of a fundamentals guy.   He's also in his mid 60s already.

I refuse to believe that a fundamentals guy can't still succeed in this league. Just because you are big on fundamentals, doesn't mean you have to exclude analytics. 

By fundamentals, I mean emphasizing pitching, defense, getting on base, striving for productive outs when needed, work the count and dont swing for the fences when a single will do. Yes, even stealing bases, if you have the personnel to do it. And all the lineup construction that allows you to do this. 

I thought I saw a stat on the broadcast last night that said that the Red Sox stole bases at an 80% success rate. That's an acceptable risk, IMO, analytics or no.  

Astros are a good fundamental team. 7th in the AL in HRs, so middle of the pack. Great defensive team. High OBP. Low ERA. They arent base-stealers, though. They are an example of fundamentals working. I really am impressed with Hinch as a manager. 

But Bucky may be too old..................

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Doesnt matter what I want. Just a comment about the lack of experience in these candidates, and wondering if that is intentional. 

I've always like Showalter, but I have no idea if he is a good fit for THIS front office or THIS team, however it is constituted before 2019. But he is a solid strategy guy who seemed well-liked by the Oriole players.

We've had some recent examples of managers with no MLB experience who, according to the reports I've read, struggled as managers. Ausmus was one of them. Dave Martinez. Gabe Kapler. Scott Servais. Dont know how true all that is.

Showalter?  He has never even won a World Series.