• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Voter Suppression

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Again, I could see the scenario you presented happening. But do you really think enough people would do this to actually sway the election

A few states have moved to 100% mail-in ballots. It's worked for them, without any evidence of widespread voter fraud.

It's not really about swaying an election because any fraud is not OK. As far as evidence, there's no way to prove fraud or legitimate ballots are cast. I think showing up at a polling station and showing your ID is the best way to avoid most fraud. Which voting method do you think it would be easier to cast fraudulent votes?

Edited by Jason

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not really about swaying an election because any fraud is not OK. As far as evidence, there's no way to prove fraud or legitimate ballots are cast. I think showing up at a polling station and showing your ID is the best way to avoid most fraud. Which voting method do you think it would be easier to cast fraudulent votes?

I agree that any fraud is not OK. But even with voter ID, there's still the potential for fraud. People have been using fake IDs for decades. It's disingenuous to fight against mail-in voting because of the potential for fraud, when mail-in voting is the common sense solution for our current social climate. Again, several states have been 100% mail-in voting and haven't had any widespread fraud. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:26 AM, Taylor said:

I've still yet to see any real evidence of Democrat-caused "voter fraud" that Republican politicians are always yelling about. But there's plenty of evidence of Republican-caused voter suppression. 

Philly Judge Of Elections Admits He Took Bribes To Stuff The Ballot Box For Democrat Candidates

https://breaking911.com/breaking-philly-judge-of-elections-admits-he-took-bribes-to-stuff-the-ballot-box-for-democrat-candidates/?fbclid=IwAR3d9L4hU5QHbHeoH3ZrP7kHHhhX6G4--h3-Ll5aPUqlm5vHW8kpLkBmoAA

Just now, Taylor said:

Face!

It looks like this bonafide voter fraud had nothing to do with mail-in voting.

I was responding to your comment that you've "still yet to see any real evidence of Democrat-caused "voter fraud".

Well, now you have it.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm not talking about giving up their ballots but more like the scenario I just gave. I have issue not verifying who is actually casting the vote. That's all. Oh and you should prove who you are at a polling station too 

if only there was some kind of government issued identification that was small enough for each person to carry around with them in a wallet or purse or pocket.

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

if only there was some kind of government issued identification that was small enough for each person to carry around with them in a wallet or purse or pocket.

I used to be in favor of voter ID, but then I learned that obtaining a government-issued ID isn't as easy for everyone else as it is for me. Especially in urban areas where not everyone has a driver's license, people often have to jump through a million hoops to get an ID, and it's simply not practical or affordable for them to do so.

https://www.propublica.org/article/everything-youve-ever-wanted-to-know-about-voter-id-laws

Why are these voter ID laws so strongly opposed?

Voting law opponents contend these laws disproportionately affect elderly, minority and low-income groups that tend to vote Democratic. Obtaining photo ID can be costly and burdensome. While many states with strict laws offer a free state ID for people without any other way to vote, these IDs require documents like a birth certificate that can cost up to $25 in some places. According to a study from NYU’s Brennan Center, 11 percent of voting-age citizens lack necessary photo ID while many people in rural areas have trouble accessing ID offices.

A lawsuit filed against Alabama in early December 2015 cites the example of a high schooler who can’t vote because she lacks a driver’s license. According to the suit, she needs to get a state issued voter ID at the DMV, but the one nearest to her is only open one day per month and there’s no public transportation to another DMV 40 miles away roundtrip.

During closing arguments in a 2012 case over Texas’s voter ID law, a lawyer for the state brushed aside geographical obstacles as the “reality to life of choosing to live in that part of Texas.”

Former Attorney General Eric Holder and others have compared the laws to a poll tax, in which Southern states during the Jim Crow era imposed voting fees, which discouraged blacks, and even some poor whites — until the passage of grandfather clauses — from voting.

Given the sometimes costly steps required to obtain needed documents today, legal scholars argue that photo ID laws create a new “financial barrier to the ballot box.”

10 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

Heck, even if you or I want to go to the DMV, we have to set up an appointment like 4 months out (if there are any appointments available). Otherwise we have to burn an entire workday waiting in line.

Oh man if only a type of person existed in an efficient realm of society that could solve problems like this. I could see many people willing to part with their personal money for such convenience. If only.

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

I used to be in favor of voter ID, but then I learned that obtaining a government-issued ID isn't as easy for everyone else as it is for me. Especially in urban areas where not everyone has a driver's license, people often have to jump through a million hoops to get an ID, and it's simply not practical or affordable for them to do so.

so bring two utility bills to the polling station.

in a day and age where most of us are connected online and several of us have never met, it seems like a necessary goal to accomplish for any citizen to get a gov't issued ID, even if it takes some effort to do so. maybe some of the more rural states need to revamp when their DMVs are open and coordinate with local cities to make transportation available to get there. i don't think a few people in rural alabama ought to be enough to shut down the entire concept.

30 minutes ago, Tank said:

so bring two utility bills to the polling station.

in a day and age where most of us are connected online and several of us have never met, it seems like a necessary goal to accomplish for any citizen to get a gov't issued ID, even if it takes some effort to do so. maybe some of the more rural states need to revamp when their DMVs are open and coordinate with local cities to make transportation available to get there. i don't think a few people in rural alabama ought to be enough to shut down the entire concept.

In that case, a few people who might abuse mail-in voting shouldn't prevent mail-in voting from happening. It's more convenient for everybody, and it makes voting more accessible.

By the way, it's not just a few folks in rural Alabama. Voter ID laws require government-issued IDs, not utility bills.