• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What do you guys think of Hyun-Jin Ryu?

Second Base

If the Angels are going to be chasing pitching, it makes sense to chase inning eaters, and I get it. Their starters get injured more often than any team in baseball. They need a steady presence. But more than that, without Ohtani or even Richards, it seems the rotation lacks upside. 

How about Ryu? 

There is some injury history, but he's also shown the ability to eat innings in the past. He has a career ERA of 3.20 and because of two straight years of injury, there aren't many miles on his arm. If he could come at a lower price, there could be some payoff. 

What do you think?

26 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If the Angels are going to be chasing pitching, it makes sense to chase inning eaters, and I get it. Their starters get injured more often than any team in baseball. They need a steady presence. But more than that, without Ohtani or even Richards, it seems the rotation lacks upside. 

How about Ryu? 

There is some injury history, but he's also shown the ability to eat innings in the past. He has a career ERA of 3.20 and because of two straight years of injury, there aren't many miles on his arm. If he could come at a lower price, there could be some payoff. 

What do you think?

he also pitched 2100 innings in Korea. 

there's a shitload of mileage on his arm. 

27 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If the Angels are going to be chasing pitching, it makes sense to chase inning eaters

There is some injury history, but he's also shown the ability to eat innings in the past. He has a career ERA of 3.20 and because of two straight years of injury, there aren't many miles on his arm.

These are a little bit contradictory...

21 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

These are a little bit contradictory...

They are. We need innings, but we also need upside. Looking at the teams that are competing, we're seeing mostly big arms and big bats. Buehler, Kershaw, Ryu, Verlander, Cole, Keuchel, Sale backed by a boat load of offense. 

Before the Angels even think about entering this arena, they need something that'll get them there. They need consistent, reliable innings. But they also need quality. I dare say Skaggs, Heaney and Barria won't match up with anyone's 1-2-3 that has any intentions of winning. 

It'd nice if they could put Stroman and Ryu in there somewhere. 

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I like this guy but I dont want to have to rely on him.  I think Corbin is the best target all things considered. 

Corbin is likely going to cost a draft pick.  Not surrendering draft picks has played a large role in how the Angels ended up with a much stronger farm system. 

22 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Agreed.  that guy, if healthy, can be an absolute stud. 

Have you actually looked in depth at his stats? He’s really not an ace, a nice 2-3 but definitely not an ace. And he was more of a #4-#5 starter last year. 

Mediocre WHIP, mediocre k/9, mediocre BB rate. I’m just not seeing it worth the cost and he is most definitely not the type of pitcher we have seen Eppler target.

22 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Corbin is likely going to cost a draft pick.  Not surrendering draft picks has played a large role in how the Angels ended up with a much stronger farm system. 

Of course, but the whole point of all transactions is to ultimately make the major league team win.

Even considering the draft pick, I think it makes sense to pursue Corbin.

Edit:  There is going to be a cost no matter what.  If the Angels trade for a quality starter, it will cost quality prospects.  If they sign Corbin, it will cost money and a draft pick.

If there is a free agent starter that brings as much value on the mound as Corbin that does not cost a draft pick, great.

But my point is anything has a cost.