• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB playoff story goof.......and no Angel bigwig noticed?

WeatherWonk

With all the playoff hysteria being pumped by the Manfred-led marketing of MLB, now comes a story about the greatest playoff moments in each club's history. It's the lead story, as I write this, featured in the carousel of stories that cycle through, with images.

I quickly scanned down the list to get to the Angel's greatest moment, according to MLB.com columnist Will Leitch's article.............

What will it be? There are a few candidates. The final out by Percival in '02? The Glaus double to take the lead in '02? Vlad's blooper off Papelbon in '09? (that felt as good as any of them, coming against the Red Sox AND off Papelbon!).

Well, Will chose the Spiezio home run in game six. Certainly a valid choice, I guess. His runner up is the final out of game 7. Whatever. I would have chosen the Glaus double...................

Problem is, apparently Will was too young to see it or too lazy to research the situation. He termed it, and I quote, "Angels: Scott Spiezio game-tying homer, Game 6, 2002 World Series, Oct. 26, 2002." 

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that the Angel's home page has linked the story to THEIR home page. Is there no one currently in the Angels' organization that remembers the situation, either? Did no one read it? 

We all remember it, don't we? Spiezio's HR made it 5-3 Giants. Erstad then hit a solo shot in the eighth to make it 5-4. The only tie in that ballgame was the brief moment that Figgins crossed the plate in front of GA. 

This is all burned in our memories, isn't it? It's like still remembering the Gettysburg Address or the preamble to the Constitution, isn't it?.

Who goofed, I've got to know???????

From an outsiders perspective a three run homerun that moved a team from down 5 to down 2 doesn't seem like a big deal... the hype of the play makes one almost have to assume that it tied the game. Obviously not Angels fans... or Giants fans. Most likely just a baseball fan that sort of remembers a play from 16(!) years ago.

And no one else is reading it.

17 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

With all the playoff hysteria being pumped by the Manfred-led marketing of MLB, now comes a story about the greatest playoff moments in each club's history. It's the lead story, as I write this, featured in the carousel of stories that cycle through, with images.

I quickly scanned down the list to get to the Angel's greatest moment, according to MLB.com columnist Will Leitch's article.............

What will it be? There are a few candidates. The final out by Percival in '02? The Glaus double to take the lead in '02? Vlad's blooper off Papelbon in '09? (that felt as good as any of them, coming against the Red Sox AND off Papelbon!).

Well, Will chose the Spiezio home run in game six. Certainly a valid choice, I guess. His runner up is the final out of game 7. Whatever. I would have chosen the Glaus double...................

Problem is, apparently Will was too young to see it or too lazy to research the situation. He termed it, and I quote, "Angels: Scott Spiezio game-tying homer, Game 6, 2002 World Series, Oct. 26, 2002." 

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that the Angel's home page has linked the story to THEIR home page. Is there no one currently in the Angels' organization that remembers the situation, either? Did no one read it? 

We all remember it, don't we? Spiezio's HR made it 5-3 Giants. Erstad then hit a solo shot in the eighth to make it 5-4. The only tie in that ballgame was the brief moment that Figgins crossed the plate in front of GA. 

This is all burned in our memories, isn't it? It's like still remembering the Gettysburg Address or the preamble to the Constitution, isn't it?.

Who goofed, I've got to know???????

It's funny. I didn't bother to read it because I assumed it was Spiezio's homer. I'm sorry for those who think differently, but that HAS to be the biggest moment in Angels history. We lose that game and the series otherwise.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Is one of the job descriptions for Angel Big Wigs to be a proofreader of rando internet articles?

Rando?

Last time I checked, the Angels were part of MLB................whose writer generated this article. 

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

It's funny. I didn't bother to read it because I assumed it was Spiezio's homer. I'm sorry for those who think differently, but that HAS to be the biggest moment in Angels history. We lose that game and the series otherwise.

We dont get Glaus' double and we still lose that game. Series over. Even with the Spiezio HR.

the most memorable Halos playoff 'moment' may still be Dave Henderson's HR off Donnie Moore when the Halos were one out away......

remember the 'most memorable moment' may not always be a winning moment and often isn't......

Bobby Thompson's HR off Ralph Branca (not really a post-season game - but a one game playoff).

Billy Buckner's muffed ground ball off the bat of Mookie Betts.

Phillies' pitcher Williams blowing the lead and being pretty much stalked by angry Phils' fans for years afterwards.

15 hours ago, disarcina said:

the most memorable Halos playoff 'moment' may still be Dave Henderson's HR off Donnie Moore when the Halos were one out away......

remember the 'most memorable moment' may not always be a winning moment and often isn't......

Bobby Thompson's HR off Ralph Branca (not really a post-season game - but a one game playoff).

Billy Buckner's muffed ground ball off the bat of Mookie Betts.

Phillies' pitcher Williams blowing the lead and being pretty much stalked by angry Phils' fans for years afterwards.

Nicely done!

On 10/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, disarcina said:

I read that Pittsburgh's Stan Belinda, who gave up the NLCS-winning hit to Atlanta's Francisco Cabrera in  1992, had his car vandalized (as if he deliberately threw the series).

Ironically, Belinda ended his career in Atlanta in 2000.