• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler is aggressive in November

59 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He blamed his slow start on the owners for holding out signing FA. he said he never had a true spring training.

I am not necessarily sold on him either. His second half ERA was markedly better, but his peripherals still left a lot to be desired and he benefited from a low BABIP. 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I've read a few of your posts lately, and I feel like you're alluding to Zack Greinke. I doubt he'd waive his NTC though. Perhaps Strasburg or Scherzer if the Nats decide to sell, which it doesn't seem they're inclined to. There's no way the Angels would have interest in Jordan Zimmerman, I hope. 

I was not alluding to anyone in particular. 

I merely meant that, while the concept of getting a bad contract pitcher is reasonable, you need to find a different pitcher.

Whenever Eppler adds someone and I don’t see right away what is good about the guy, I go right to K/9 and usually that’s where it makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was not alluding to anyone in particular. 

I merely meant that, while the concept of getting a bad contract pitcher is reasonable, you need to find a different pitcher.

Whenever Eppler adds someone and I don’t see right away what is good about the guy, I go right to K/9 and usually that’s where it makes sense. 

Sounds to me like Arizona would be very motivated in trading Zack Greinke - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/diamondbacks-trade-rumors-paul-goldschmidt-robbie-ray.html

So Calhoun for Greinke eleviates Arizona's financial burden as a mid market team with a record breaking contract on the books, takes a native son of Arizona and ASU hero and fills the hole in the OF with him, and whatever prospects they can get for him at the trade deadline, and the Angels get a front of the rotation starter for 3 years, 84 million, which comes out to 28 million a year. Still pretty steep, maybe the Angels could get the D-Backs to kick in a few million.

Assuming they can get a steady yet inexpensive RF option like Jon Jay, and trade for another SP without adding too much payroll, it sounds like the sort of deal that could be beneficial for both teams.

48 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I am guessing Greinke falls somewhere between Vernon Wells and Josh Hamilton on the list of guys least likely to ever play for the Angels again. 

I love the idea of moving Calhoun if you can find a taker. If it means taking on a risky pitcher owed a little money, then so be it.

Honest question, why would that be?

59 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Greinke is 35 next season.   No thank you!

If I could like this more, I would.

To be clear the idea of taking on such a huge salary and commitment to a pitcher who is in the traditional clear decline phase is frightening. We could easily trade for him and watch him go whack-a-mole in 2019. I would much rather role the dice on a pitcher like Stroman, Ray, Carrasco, et al.

I'm sticking with my Stroman prediction. 

And Grienke, I'm guessing he's like Verlander in that for some unknown reason, he remains good through his mid-30's.  Not 35 million a year good, but good.  If the D-Backs came to the Angels and discussed taking on 2/3 of his remaining contract and didn't have to spend any prospect capital, and found a way to shed the money owed to Calhoun, we'll I'd be interested.  But it just seems like there should be easier ways to acquire good starting pitching. 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

but, hey, as long as we're playing around, why not go with Calhoun and Cozart for Greinke and Goldschmidt? 

that's $129M for $36M in contracts. 

You must have been a trader at  Goldman Sachs just before the great bailout. 

12 hours ago, wopphil said:

Exactly. Greinke is still good. I cant imagine them sending more than 30 mil to an acquiring team, and I still wouldn't even want him at 3/75.

Thanks for restating my point for the learning impaired. 

4 hours ago, Lou said:

Greinkie has a limited (15 teams) no-trade clause in his contract. It wouldn't surprise me if we're on that list. 

It's truly remarkable that after agreeing to pay him such an obscene amount, the D-Backs felt they had to sweeten the deal some more. Makes me feel like I could actually be a decent GM.