• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Thread: Angels Manager/Coaching Staff Thread

totdprods

Mods, feel free to delete or merge as needed. I don't feel like the thread about Sosh stepping down was the right place, nor the thread about who we *don't* want.

Fletcher has hinted he thinks Ausmus has the advantage. Chavez obviously is a favorite. Paul is actually closest on the food chain. Griffin, Ebel, and Johnson have paid their dues. Girardi is a FA. Joe Espada will be familiar from Eppler's Yankee days. Perhaps a recent player like Baldelli? Lots of options!

I wonder if there is a scenario where most of them actually stay on some capacity. I'd imagine a lot of the staff leaves, particularly Ebel and Griffin. Might we see Paul, Nagy and Hinske remain in their roles, with Johnson or Chavez being 'promoted' to Griffin's old role as 1B coach/infield coach, and the other remaining as AAA manager, with Ausmus as the new MLB manager?

It could sort of be a new version of Scioscia, Maddon, Black, and Roenicke, a new wave of future managers all on one staff.

No to Ausmus. He could end up being solid, like Fletch said, but I'd rather pass on that. I like Chavez and think he'd do a great job. Paul intrigues me, but I'd prefer Chavez. I wouldn't be broken-hearted if it's Girardi, but I'd be a little disappointed. 

No to Ebel or Griffin - why let Sosh leave if you're going to bring in Sosh-lite? Under no circumstances do I want Erstad as manager - his old-school style is exactly the opposite of what you want, imo. Loved him as a player, don't want him managing the big club.

I'm open to other options, but my preference would be for a first-time manager. I think Chavez and Paul are both solid choices, though, and I wouldn't be unhappy with either one. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Mods, feel free to delete or merge as needed. I don't feel like the thread about Sosh stepping down was the right place, nor the thread about who we *don't* want.

Fletcher has hinted he thinks Ausmus has the advantage. Chavez obviously is a favorite. Paul is actually closest on the food chain. Griffin, Ebel, and Johnson have paid their dues. Girardi is a FA. Joe Espada will be familiar from Eppler's Yankee days. Perhaps a recent player like Baldelli? Lots of options!

I wonder if there is a scenario where most of them actually stay on some capacity. I'd imagine a lot of the staff leaves, particularly Ebel and Griffin. Might we see Paul, Nagy and Hinske remain in their roles, with Johnson or Chavez being 'promoted' to Griffin's old role as 1B coach/infield coach, and the other remaining as AAA manager, with Ausmus as the new MLB manager?

It could sort of be a new version of Scioscia, Maddon, Black, and Roenicke, a new wave of future managers all on one staff.

I have reservations about Chavez as a manager.  He has so little managing experience at any level that it would be a rather big leap of faith to put him in the role.  Ausmus is much more highly qualified in my mind.  Of the guys who have experience coaching in this organization I like Roenicke the best.  I don't consider him to be a Scioscia type at all.  The biggest problem is Boston may not want to give him up at all as their bench coach.  He has major league experience with Milwaukee as a manager, and also is a perfect compliment to Cora. I would insist he clear the deck of the current coaches though, and add a completely new staff. 

Chavez as a first base coach or bench coach under someone more experienced at managing might be a fine idea.

With Baltimore and Texas also currently looking to fill manager roles at a minimum, it will be interesting to see who fits in with what teams.

I think I agree that Erstad may be rough as the head coach - old-school headspace in a new-school game and all. He may make an interesting hitting coach, though. He seemed to have a knack of hitting above his talent level - that may be the kind of thing you want from a hitting coach.

I think there are some very fun names being thrown around....

But for me, I just think it's no coincidence that the year Scioscia steps down, we saw Josh Paul (JP) inserted as the bench coach out of nowhere, Keith Johnson moving from AAA to the majors, Ausmus joining the front office staff and Eric Chavez coaching the AAA team.  

This is just me guessing, but I think once Eppler took the job, he started bringing in potential replacements into coaching or front office positions.  But he did those obviously knowing that he wasn't going to be replacing Scioscia, that that decision would ultimately be Mike's.  I'm feeling like before the year started, Scioscia told them that if season doesn't go well, that he'll step down once the contract expires and allow the team to go in a different direction. 

Things went south and here we are.  I'm guessing he'll be hired on to coach again, somewhere. Probably the Padres or someone that has a lot of youth but needs a steady clubhouse manager.

And as for the Angels, Eppler's a new school guy with old school values, and I think he'll hire someone that reflects those.  It'll either be Josh Paul or Eric Chavez. 

37 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think there are some very fun names being thrown around....

But for me, I just think it's no coincidence that the year Scioscia steps down, we saw Josh Paul (JP) inserted as the bench coach out of nowhere, Keith Johnson moving from AAA to the majors, Ausmus joining the front office staff and Eric Chavez coaching the AAA team.  

This is just me guessing, but I think once Eppler took the job, he started bringing in potential replacements into coaching or front office positions.  But he did those obviously knowing that he wasn't going to be replacing Scioscia, that that decision would ultimately be Mike's.  I'm feeling like before the year started, Scioscia told them that if season doesn't go well, that he'll step down once the contract expires and allow the team to go in a different direction. 

Things went south and here we are.  I'm guessing he'll be hired on to coach again, somewhere. Probably the Padres or someone that has a lot of youth but needs a steady clubhouse manager.

And as for the Angels, Eppler's a new school guy with old school values, and I think he'll hire someone that reflects those.  It'll either be Josh Paul or Eric Chavez. 

I would not be surprised to see Sosh as manager of the Padres. He has always sort of been a NL style manager. He would remain in So Cal. I just doubt they would pay him the type of money to entice him.

30 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Did I miss something about Josh Paul? What makes him qualified to be a manager exactly?

"Paul most recently worked as the New York Yankees' minor league catching coordinator, and previously held other roles in the organization as a scout and minor league manager. He at times reported to then-Yankee executive Billy Eppler, who is now the Angels' general manager."

He's about as qualified as Chavez would be, or Kapler, Matheny, Boone...

15 hours ago, tomsred said:

I have reservations about Chavez as a manager.  He has so little managing experience at any level that it would be a rather big leap of faith to put him in the role. 

I see a lot of similarities between Chavez and MS to be honest -- both were viewed as pseudo "face of the franchise" type players with their respective teams -- not the stars so much as the glue of some very good teams.   Both had a year or less time managing in the minors, both were 40 years old when they first managed in AAA.   Chavez was a pretty relentless worker and like MS, was extremely loyal to people around him -- Unless I'm mistaken he was the only one of the A's stars to sign a long term deal to stay in Oakland and he famously gifted one of his Gold Gloves to Ron Washington in honor of the work Washington put in to help him defensively.   He was one of those guys you never heard any noise about, he showed up, he worked, he busted his ass.

Dude made himself one hell of a super sub once his body broke down for good and it's worth noting that he left money on the table because he felt it would have been wrong to have the D-Backs pay him when he wouldn't be physically be able to play.

I'm hoping it's Chavez because I see the chance for the Angels to establish another foundation type piece at manager.  Hopefully he can find his Reonicke, Black, Maddon, etc etc...  

Also... I like Charles Nagy.

I"m not sure you see Paul stay around as Bench Coach, if it is Chavez you would expect someone with a little more coaching experience, maybe a former manager. I don't expect to see Ebel or Griffen back so maybe Paul moves to 3rd base coach. Nagy or some of the newer additions potentially could be kept on.

I don't think they feel they need a full break from the Scioscia era, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in some new voices.