• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia --Contrarian Thoughts

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats a really good point.

Ive heard the same about how he treats the new guys. And FWIW, there was an old guard with the team that used to punk the new guys left and right...until they "earned" it. 

As far as sosh's demeanor to the media, good god, lets be honest. With all due respect to Fletcher, talking to the media is only done because theyre made to...do you really think any manager or player wants to talk to the media? Its not personal...its simply because the media, and all of us fans, are outsiders. To a T, almost svery guy ive ever talked to has a chip on his shoulder about the media slash fans like us. Not so much the families that show up on the field, but those of us who berate these guys for failure, being standoffish, divorce a wife who later develops cancer, etc...

Mike Sciocia when he was a player and didn't have to measure his words or be the voice of the franchise....  

On 9/30/2018 at 10:11 PM, ScottT said:

The Mickey Hatcher thing was bizarre. Such an oddly long tenure for a hitting coach of a team that didnt always hit well.

Scioscia's lengthy tenure was strange, too. Out of whack with what's happened around the league.  While stability can be a good thing... other teams have had a lot more success while operating differently. 

My friend’s dad is good friends with Mickey Hatcher and Mickey always talks about Scioscia. They are great friends. So naturally, Scioscia wanted his good friend to keep the job. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You don't inspire major league baseball players in 2018 -- or probably ever -- by "lighting a fire under their asses." They are grown men, and professionals. And if they weren't self-motivators, they would not have made the major leagues. Someone in another thread said he didn't like Scioscia because he didn't get "pissed off" enough in the dugout. That's ridiculous.

I think said person is talking about accountability. When the angels keep running themselves out of an inning and continue making other just stupid baserunning errors over and over again. Only to see said player return to the dugout and is hailed as a hero with high fives all around. What the hell?  

As a fan it's infuriating. It makes me mad that they give away free outs, and Sciocia should be too.

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Mike Sciocia when he was a player and didn't have to measure his words or be the voice of the franchise....  

Lol, love it. All lasagna jokes aside, hes italian AF right there. Even if he never played baseball, I could see old Sosh still carrying a baseball bat in his car. 

4 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

I think said person is talking about accountability. When the angels keep running themselves out of an inning and continue making other just stupid baserunning errors over and over again. Only to see said player return to the dugout and is hailed as a hero with high fives all around. What the hell?  

As a fan it's infuriating. It makes me mad that they give away free outs, and Sciocia should be too.

I don't think the Angels make that many baserunning errors, actually. I think the play aggressively, but there's nothing wrong with that. I think you'd prefer players feel free to play aggressively than be passive and afraid of the manager getting mad at them.

If you're talking about the contact play, that's the manager's decision, not the players. And the numbers show it works pretty well.

25 minutes ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

Usually if a manager/coach stays in the same position for more than ten  years, players start to turn out and burnout sets in. Sosh past this by nine years.

His departure came nine years to late.

and the tune out narrative would mean something if the longest tenure player (Trout) was tuning him out.  The turnover on this team has been such a high rate that there wasn't really any time for guys to tune out the manager.  

On 10/1/2018 at 11:54 AM, mp170.6 said:

I get that.

But there are very few examples of this team, or individual players, performing at or above their potential. 

He never seemed very adept at lighting a fire under their ass when it was needed.

I seem to recall a game where Skaggs gave up a number of runs early and Scoscia had a very pointed, one way conversation with him in the dugout.  Skaggs then went back out and shut the other team down.  Looked to me like he lit a fire.   Perhaps this is why Skaggs referenced butting heads.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don't think the Angels make that many baserunning errors, actually. I think the play aggressively, but there's nothing wrong with that. I think you'd prefer players feel free to play aggressively than be passive and afraid of the manager getting mad at them.

If you're talking about the contact play, that's the manager's decision, not the players. And the numbers show it works pretty well.

fangraphs BsR stat which is a good indicator of base running ranks us 13th.  Middle of the pack.