• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apparently John Lackey has now retired.

Pujols4MVP

Lackey was awesome! Even though he may not have been a "true" ace (outside of maybe his 2007 season), he was our ace for those great seasons. 

I've only gotten to see highlights of him pitch so someone else obviously can better answer this, but is Lackey a good comp for Griffin Canning? From what I've been lucky to read from everyone on here, Canning has stuff that any day can be "ace/#1" type stuff but might settle into a career as a really good #2 type pitcher. Sounds like they have perhaps similar pitch repertoires? For some reason whenever I read about Canning and what he is likely to be, Lackey pops in my mind

21 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

I loved Lackey. There is a reason he has three championships. He pitched big in the post season his rookie year. 

I just imagine if he stayed an Angel they would have had a great mentor for Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Ohtani, he'd show them how its done & how get fired up for games.

4 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Mocking a little girl?

This board has had some low points, but this is probably a first and may top them all. Stay classy, azmancini.

Woah woah woah there big fella, time to pull back on the reins a little bit. He was not mocking the little girl, he was mocking the little boy. Come on.

3 hours ago, ettin said:

John will be the only player who, after retirement, actually hits his stride in broad-casting.

This was also meant as a dumping his wife with cancer stab too but it may have been too deep in the hay stack for some of you.

1 hour ago, kj_maestro said:

Lackey was awesome! Even though he may not have been a "true" ace (outside of maybe his 2007 season), he was our ace for those great seasons. 

I've only gotten to see highlights of him pitch so someone else obviously can better answer this, but is Lackey a good comp for Griffin Canning? From what I've been lucky to read from everyone on here, Canning has stuff that any day can be "ace/#1" type stuff but might settle into a career as a really good #2 type pitcher. Sounds like they have perhaps similar pitch repertoires? For some reason whenever I read about Canning and what he is likely to be, Lackey pops in my mind

AL ERA was much higher back then. Only 1 pitcher (Johan Santana) had an ERA below 3.00 in 2006, only 2 including Johan in 2005 & in 2007 Lackey's 3.01 led the AL.

He had a top 5 ERA in 2006 & 6th best ERA in 2005 ahead of Bartolo Colon who was 8th https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2005-standard-pitching.shtml somehow Colon won the CY Award.

He was definitely an Ace type pitcher in those 3 years of 2005 to 2007 when steroids were still quite common among hitters.

Lackey was one of the ones who complained about A-Rod still being in the game after testing positive for roids.

8 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

AL ERA was much higher back then. Only 1 pitcher (Johan Santana) had an ERA below 3.00 in 2006, only 2 including Johan in 2005 & in 2007 Lackey's 3.01 led the AL.

He had a top 5 ERA in 2006 & 6th best ERA in 2005 ahead of Bartolo Colon who was 8th https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2005-standard-pitching.shtml somehow Colon won the CY Award.

He was definitely an Ace type pitcher in those 3 years of 2005 to 2007 when steroids were still quite common among hitters.

Lackey was one of the ones who complained about A-Rod still being in the game after testing positive for roids.

Thanks for the reply man, I stand corrected

7 hours ago, azmancini said:

Lol, from  an MLB.com article today....

One of the newest retirees from that group is John Lackey, whose 15-year career ended in 2017. How has he spent his first year with no baseball since childhood? Dressing up for horse races, spending quality time with his kids and adopting an adorable dog, naturally

Putting on a racing blanket doesn't qualify as "dressing up".

Sending a cue for the video of Barbaro on a front end loader.