• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eric Chavez emerging as favorite to replace Sosh

Chuck

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I was age 17 in 1974.    The halos started out the season playing in snow flurries in Chicago, and the offense never warmed up from that. 

Frank Robinson and Joe LaHoud both did manage to have an .800+ OPS.  Mickey Rivers was starting his larceny of bases (30 SBs).

Nolan Ryan finished 16 K's short of record setting 1973 season, & pitched 3rd no-hitter late in the season.  Tanana at age TWENTY pitched those 268 innings, never a good thing. 

Ryan, Bill Singer, and Andy Hassler all had sub 3.00 ERA's as starters.   But, the Arson Squad was in full effect.

Dick Williams, as alluded to, replaced Bobby Winkles as manager halfway through the 1974 season.   I went to the game that Williams debuted as manager, and remember the applause from the stands.   But not even Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, and Bobby Cox could have won with that team's offense and bullpen.  

@Angel Oracle, you and I are the same age and I remember it being the worst hitting team I ever saw. I went to a couple games, both Ryan starts.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I was age 17 in 1974.    The halos started out the season playing in snow flurries in Chicago, and the offense never warmed up from that. 

Frank Robinson and Joe LaHoud both did manage to have an .800+ OPS.  Mickey Rivers was starting his larceny of bases (30 SBs).

Nolan Ryan finished 16 K's short of record setting 1973 season, & pitched 3rd no-hitter late in the season.  Tanana at age TWENTY pitched those 268 innings, never a good thing. 

Ryan, Bill Singer, and Andy Hassler all had sub 3.00 ERA's as starters.   But, the Arson Squad was in full effect.

Dick Williams, as alluded to, replaced Bobby Winkles as manager halfway through the 1974 season.   I went to the game that Williams debuted as manager, and remember the applause from the stands.   But not even Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, and Bobby Cox could have won with that team's offense and bullpen.  

Thats about the same age as my dad, he followed the Reds instead (probably cause the Angels sucked royally).

He threw a no hitter at his HS, then later quit the team after arguing with his coach.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:24 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

FWIW, I am highly skeptical of the idea that Eric Chavez is the favorite. It is not what I’ve heard. 

I’m starting to think it may not be Chavez, Paul or Ausmus. 

Maybe I’m wrong, but as of 7:23 am on Sept 26, this is what I believe. 

So, um, I'm assuming you have heard from sources that Scioscia's tenure with the Angels is complete? Mike DiGiovanna (as well as others) seems to take that as a fact - he tweeted as much the other day - but I would imagine you're a little closer to things than he is these days.  

Should we infer that since you have not heard that Chavez is the favorite and that it may not be Chavez, Paul, or Ausmus either, that what you had heard (as of yesterday morning) was that they may be looking outside the organization? 

It's hard to imagine too many obvious choices other than, say, Joe Girardi. If not him, apparently someone without managerial experience (I can't think of any other likely options - maybe John Farrell, but that seems a stretch)? But if that's the case, I'm not sure why they'd go outside the organization. 

8 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

So, um, I'm assuming you have heard from sources that Scioscia's tenure with the Angels is complete? Mike DiGiovanna (as well as others) seems to take that as a fact - he tweeted as much the other day - but I would imagine you're a little closer to things than he is these days.  

Should we infer that since you have not heard that Chavez is the favorite and that it may not be Chavez, Paul, or Ausmus either, that what you had heard (as of yesterday morning) was that they may be looking outside the organization? 

It's hard to imagine too many obvious choices other than, say, Joe Girardi. If not him, apparently someone without managerial experience (I can't think of any other likely options - maybe John Farrell, but that seems a stretch)? But if that's the case, I'm not sure why they'd go outside the organization. 

I do not expect Mike Scioscia to be the Angels manager next year.

As for candidates outside of those three, there are dozens all over the place. How about Rob Thomson with the Yankees? I definitely expect them to interview people from outside the organization. I also think it's more likely than not that they'll hire a first-time manager. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

As for candidates outside of those three, there are dozens all over the place. How about Rob Thomson with the Yankees? I definitely expect them to interview people from outside the organization. I also think it's more likely than not that they'll hire a first-time manager. 

No Ausmus! ?

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Stubby Clapp!!