• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Last night, the Angels unleashed this lineup

UndertheHalo

i know this is a result of a bunch of things, expanded rosters etc.  Still it’s incredible to me that they literally were able to send out a line up like this.  

Some of you guys can complain about the bullpen or starting pitchers or whatever.  But the Angels most pressing issue is that they carry a bunch of terrible players who shouldn’t be in a major league line up ever.  Eppler has to figure out how to get at least league average players.  This doesn’t work.  Regardless of how great Trout or Ohtani may ever be. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

i know this is a result of a bunch of things, expanded rosters etc.  Still it’s incredible to that they literally were able to send out a line up like this.  

Some of you guys can complain about the bullpen or starting pitchers or whatever.  But the Angels most pressing issue is that they carry a bunch of terrible players who shouldn’t be in a major league line up ever.  Eppler has to figure out how to get at least league average players.  This doesn’t work.  Regardless of how great Trout or Ohtani may ever be. 

Well, to be fair, this is after we were down 10-0...Simmons, Trout , Upton, and Ohtani are a solid 1-4 any place but 5-9 was ridiculous...

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

Well, to be fair, this is after we were down 10-0...Simmons, Trout , Upton, and Ohtani are a solid 1-4 any place but 5-9 was ridiculous...

Ya I get that.  And like I said.  I know it was an abnormal situation.  But it’s wild to me that they have this many utterly worthless players.  I appreciate that the Angels have some great players.  We’re going to really struggle if we have to carry 4 or 5 zeros tho.  We need to have 9 reasonable major leaguers in the line up regularly if we want to have any expectation of making the playoffs.  Even the wild card.  Look at what Tampa Bay and Oakland have done.  They’ve managed it without starting pitchers.  That’s tricky but it can be figured out, as they’ve demonstrated.  Half a line up zeros isn’t something that can be over come over the course of a season. 

Also, Kole Calhoun has transformed back into a pile of shit.  Add RF to list of problem areas to address (probably just have hope for the best and wait it out for Adell here)

7 minutes ago, Glen said:

Y'all are tripping out over a meaningless game.

Not tripping man.  I don’t care if they lose every game down the stretch ! I’ve been saying that ! 

My point is that we have way too many non performers.  And again, I realize that it was an irregular situation last night. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

does anyone think that EYjr, Sherman Johnson, Jefry Marte, Jabari Blash, Kaleb Cowart and Joe Hudson are going to get a meaningful number of at bats with the Angels next year?

No...but I also didn't think Felix Pena, Deck McGuire, Taylor Cole, Odrisamer Despaigne, John Lamb, Noe Ramirez, and Jim Johnson would combine for 31 starts - an entire rotation slot  - this year either. 

As much as I want to see the kids play, I'm fine with our AAA depth, the players you listed, being Hermosillo, Rengifo/Fletcher, Walsh/Thaiss, Fernandez, Ward, and one (two?) of Briceno/Arcia being those names instead. 

That means rounding out the 25-man with guys like Jon Jay, Daniel Descalso, Jeff Mathis (hah, I'm kidding, maybe), and Steve Pearce as our opening day bench. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

does anyone think that EYjr, Sherman Johnson, Jefry Marte, Jabari Blash, Kaleb Cowart and Joe Hudson are going to get a meaningful number of at bats with the Angels next year?

I mean, we hope not.  But who knows what will come up.  We did go into the season this year expecting to give Marte and Valbuena a shit load of AB’s. Also, Young who got hurt but definitely was pencilled into the plans.  All of which is on Eppler.  Really, not great.  Arte and what he allowed Eppler to do also plays a role.    The back up options were Blash, Cowart, Hermosillo etc.  guys you named.  Again, pretty bad.  I don’t want to be too harsh because a lot of this is just a consequence of years of shit before Eppler.  And Arte DID spend bringing on Upton, Cozart, and the 20+ million it took to get Ohtani (tho, let’s not pretend that Ohtani’s marketing power doesn’t make that a nothing thing for Arte) 

My point is, going forward, the team is going to have to spend to fill out a roster that isn’t a joke.  The biggest issue with the team is the line up and It’s horrendous lack of depth.  We can’t win games with 5 major league hitters.  Even if they are very good.  The bench aside, we have work to do to get reasonable major league players at 3B (maybe Ward) 2B (Maybe Fletcher/Rengifo) C, 1B, and RF.  Maybe Cozart and Calhoun turn out fine.  But its going to suck if we go into next season hoping everything works out at all these spots.  Eppler needs to figure out how to get some acceptable major league production from at least a few of these spots.  It’s going to be a big job, and hopefully Arte is onboard. 

46 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Depends who the manager is

I don’t think this has anything to do with Scioscia. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean, we hope not.  But who knows what will come up.  We did go into the season this year expecting to give Marte and Valbuena a shit load of AB’s. Also, Young who got hurt but who was definitely was pencilled into the plans.  All of which is on Eppler.  Really, not great.  Arte and what he allowed Eppler to do also plays a role.    The back up options were Blash, Cowart, Hermosillo etc.  guys you named.  Again, pretty bad.  I don’t want to be too harsh because a lot of this is just a consequence of years of shit before Eppler.  And Arte DID spend bringing on Upton, Cozart, and the 20+ million it took to get Ohtani (tho, let’s not pretend that Ohtani’s marketing power doesn’t make that a nothing thing for Arte) 

My point is, going forward, the team is going to have to spend to fill out a roster that isn’t a joke.  The biggest issue with the team is the line up and It’s horrendous lack of depth.  We can’t win games with 5 major league hitters.  Even if they are very good.  The bench aside, we have work to do to get reasonable major league players at 3B (maybe Ward) 2B (Maybe Fletcher/Rengifo) C, 1B, and RF.  Maybe Cozart and Calhoun turn out fine.  But its going to suck if we go into next season hoping everything works out at all these spots.  Eppler needs to figure out how to get some acceptable major league production from at least a few of these spots.  It’s going to be a big job, and hopefully Arte is onboard. 

I don’t think this has anything to do with Scioscia. 

I think you're going to be disappointed with what they spend on lineup improvements.  I think it's going to come down to Calhoun and Cozart rebounding.  Fletcher taking a step forward.  Maybe upgrading catcher and whoever becomes Albert's platoon partner at 1b.  

then it will be about conjuring some reliable SP and revamping the bullpen.  again.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I think you're going to be disappointed with what they spend on lineup improvements.  I think it's going to come down to Calhoun and Cozart rebounding.  Fletcher taking a step forward.  Maybe upgrading catcher and whoever becomes Albert's platoon partner at 1b.  

then it will be about conjuring some reliable SP and revamping the bullpen.  again.  

You’re probably right, it’s a lot of holes to fill in one offseason.  I do think the Angels can do a lot better then they have been though digging up value from less premium players.  I mean, the A’s went and got Brett Lawrie.  The Astros got Josh Reddick.  The Dodgers do what they always seem to do. The Angels got Luis Valbuena.  They have to do better then that.  

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the offseason.  Though, my expectations are pretty tempered. 

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Yup. The Angels only have 30 million to work with this off-season, so they have to spend wisely.  C, BP and SP have to be priorities.