• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Cam Bedrosian says he will spend this winter looking for lost velocity

AngelsWin.com

OAKLAND — As Cam Bedrosian nears the end of his first full, injury-free season in the majors, he is still trying to recapture what he had a couple years ago.

The Bedrosian who posted a 1.12 ERA in 2016, before going on the disabled list in August, has not been back since, and part of the reason is his declining velocity.

Bedrosian said Wednesday that he’s aware of it, and committed to figuring it out.

“It’s very important,” he said. “It’s definitely something this offseason I’ll be breaking down. I’ll be going through everything and seeing if I can figure out exactly what it is.”

In 2016, Bedrosian’s fastball averaged 95.8 mph in each month that he pitched. He went on the disabled list with a blood clot in August and missed the rest of the season.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

He then missed a chunk of the middle of 2017 with a groin injury, and he suspected that the lingering impact of that was his velocity didn’t quite come back when he did in the second half.

In 2017, he averaged 94.3 mph with his fastball. This year, it’s been 93.7 mph. He had some good stretches in May and June, but then it’s been declining in the months since.

He averaged 92.7 mph in August and 92.4 mph in September.

It is probably no coincidence that Bedrosian’s best month this season was June, which was also when his velocity was the highest. He gave up one run in 14 innings in June.

“Somewhere in the biomechanics, there’s something missing right now,” Bedrosian said. “It’s something I’ll have to dig into this offseason and figure out. I’m not sure exactly what it is yet. I know it’s there. We’ve seen flashes. It’s just making sure it’s consistent.”

Bedrosian said he feels strong enough, but he nonetheless plans to try some different kinds of strength workouts this winter.

Bedrosian, who turns 27 on Oct. 2, is coming to a critical point in his career. He will again be out of options next season, and his salary is likely going to jump from about $1.1 million to maybe $2.5 million via arbitration. He has a 3.94 ERA and a WHIP of 1.4 this season.

OHTANI ON THE BASES

Shohei Ohtani’s nine stolen bases this season have just offered a hint at what he might be able to do on the bases next year when he’s a full-time hitter.

“I think there are some things in his baserunning he will start to get more comfortable with and can be more aggressive with,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “Our philosophy of baserunning is to be very aggressive. I think Shohei is starting to wrap his arms around that as much as he can. I think he will be able to create more on the bases as he gets more experience here.”

ALSO

The Angels will see Gerrit Cole, Justin Verlander and Charlie Morton over the weekend in Houston. The Angels will start Andrew Heaney, Jaime Barría and Tyler Skaggs. …

Kole Calhoun got a routine day off on Wednesday, which moved Andrelton Simmons into the leadoff spot.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Matt Shoemaker, 2-1, 3.98) vs. A’s (RHP Edwin Jackson, 5-3, 3.17), Thursday, 12:30 p.m., Facebook Live, KLAA (830 AM)

View the full article

Ridiculous. No coming to terms with the fact that 99% of pitcher's velocity tends to decrease with age and reps. That would actually force him to adjust, maybe learn to pitch versus throw. No, instead, he's going to search for ways to regain velocity so he doesn't have it change. 

Let's hope he finds whatever "miracle treatment" Justin Verlander found that made his fastball velocity jump back up in his mid-30's.