• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spending this off-season

Stradling

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

What does that have to do with how much a team can improve in a year?

Why would you bring up Oakland last year if I can’t being up the Angels from last year. I said it earlier in this thread. The trend is getting worse not better. U don’t have to agree. It’s my thoughts. Angels finished in 4th two years ago. They were 80-82 and in second place last year. This year they are fourth with 75-76 record 20 games out. The trend isn’t awesome. This team over the last 4 years is avging 3rd place. 

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Why would you bring up Oakland last year if I can’t being up the Angels from last year. I said it earlier in this thread. The trend is getting worse not better. U don’t have to agree. It’s my thoughts. Angels finished in 4th two years ago. They were 80-82 and in second place last year. This year they are fourth with 75-76 record 20 games out. The trend isn’t awesome. This team over the last 4 years is avging 3rd place. 

While shedding bad salary and building a much stronger farm

Now, only Pujols' $87 million remaining through 2021 is truly bad.    I would agree that the results need to start appearing for Eppler in his 4th season in 2019.  

19 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

U don’t have to agree. It’s my thoughts.

This is why people are responding negatively. Your thoughts betray a bias towards a certain outcome.

All anyone has pointed out is that there are legitimate reasons that this assumed outcome might not be the case -- included past examples, underlying metrics, and possibly positive (though admittedly unknown) variables.  Your response at every stop is nought but a tortured repetition of obtuse logic and bullheaded negativity built on defiant (almost admirable) confusion.

In other words: you are entitled to your opinion. If you don't like our response, get a better opinion.

1 minute ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

This is why people are responding negatively. Your thoughts betray a bias that assumes a certain outcome.

All anyone has pointed out is that there are legitimate reasons that this assumed outcome might not be the case -- included past examples, underlying metrics, and possibly positive variables.  Your response at every stop is nought but a tortured repetition of obtuse logic and bullheaded negativity built on defiant (almost admirable) confusion.

In other words: you are entitled to your opinion. If you don't like our response, get a better opinion.

And my response to that is. This team as constructed is not good enough. I’ve stated over and over this team needs a lot of upgrades. And I’m not optimistic that those upgrades will be met. Time will tell. 

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

While shedding bad salary and building a much stronger farm

Now, only Pujols' $87 million remaining through 2021 is truly bad.    I would agree that the results need to start appearing for Eppler in his 4th season in 2019.  

If it’s true there is only 30 or so million dollars available and I don’t know why Fletcher would pull that out of his hat. Then the Angels front office needs to get really creative this offseason. I really can’t wait for the offseason. Over the last 4 years it’s been more interesting than the regular season for my favorite team. 

I just got done reading an article on Fangraphs that basically supports (and refutes Manfred) the idea that spending dollars correlates fairly strongly with wins. And franchise value correlates even stronger. The A's and Rays are exceptions that pop up now and again. The article postulated that there are two traits that lead to winning consistently; Rich and Smart. Sometimes the small market teams overcome the dollars by being Smart. But it rarely lasts, as others adopt these same Smart principles, and the advantage fades. 

Naturally, the analytics of proving this was lost on me. Thank God for the conclusion section. 

According to Spotrac, we are 7th in payroll, overall, at 173 million. Our payroll was 166 million last year and 174 million in 2016. Since 2011, we have been in the top ten in spending every year.  We had the 4th highest salaries twice, 7th three times, 6th once and 8th once.

Apparently, we have been lacking in the Smart Department?

It FEELS like Eppler is changing that, but no results yet. It's early. And injuries have foiled us, mightily. We have the third highest amount of salary on the DL right now. 57 million. My God.

I also read an AP wire article in my hometown newspaper today that talked about the start of hearings on whether four teams (OAK, MIA, TB and PIT) are improperly using the revenue sharing money they receive. MLBPA contends they are not using it to "improve" their teams, as it is intended. 

Ironically, three of those four teams will have better records than they did last year. The Marlins will not. The Pirates by somewhere between 5-10 wins.

The economics of baseball is INTERESTING. And it's September!! Well, there you go.

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

The conversation was that the Angel's are a long ways off from competing.  I brought up the A's because they were a last place team 12 months ago and was tied for the division lead a couple of weeks ago and is running away with the wc now.

That's why I brought up Oakland!

31 minutes ago, stormngt said:

The conversation was that the Angel's are a long ways off from competing.  I brought up the A's because they were a last place team 12 months ago and was tied for the division lead a couple of weeks ago and is running away with the wc now.

That's why I brought up Oakland!

I know why you brought up Oakland. 

You know, in looking at Oakland, they've had hitters mature and all, and the acquisition of Piscotty has been huge, but there is this one constant with Beane. He finds low-cost pitching, either through trades or from within. Things didnt work out the three previous seasons, but before that, the A's have been consistently in the top half in ERA in the AL, since 1999. Often in the top three. I believe he took over running the A's in 1998. 

Then, this year the staff blows up..........and he goes out and fixes it. He deserves credit, IF he has been instrumental in this.

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

Beane has never won anything of consequence in almost 20 years running the team.

who will be your new team to root for next year?

Arte hasn't won anything of consequence in 14 years, with twice the payroll of Beane. Artie is the outlier in the model that spending and franchise value produces consistent winning.

I will root for the Angels if they deserve rooting for. Otherwise, you lemmings can head for the cliff.

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

Arte hasn't won anything of consequence in 14 years, with twice the payroll of Beane. Artie is the outlier in the model that spending and franchise value produces consistent winning.

I will root for the Angels if they deserve rooting for. Otherwise, you lemmings can head for the cliff.

• 20 > 14
  • Oakland has the money. Their "we're poor" is an act their ownership group, which includes Beane, has convinced their lemming fans (incl you) is real
  • A's fans will be going over that same cliff in the next few weeks 

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

FairWeatherWonk

I root for teams that deserve it.  It could be any team, in any year. That's the difference in being an overall baseball fan and a lemming.

It could be the Angels, if they are rich AND SMART. It's too easy and too common for their fans to simply blame injuries, at this point. The Angels dont provide enough depth. Every team has injuries. It's what you do when you experience them.

I applaud the Rays and the A's and the Indians and the Brewers for what they've done, with so much less, this year. 

Respect for teams is earned, not given out of habit, for me. 

30 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Us lemmings?  Dude we are in an Angel Fan Website, sorry we discuss Angel things and we aren’t crying twats about it.

2 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I root for teams that deserve it.  It could be any team, in any year. That's the difference in being an overall baseball fan and a lemming.

It could be the Angels, if they are rich AND SMART. It's too easy and too common for their fans to simply blame injuries, at this point. The Angels dont provide enough depth. Every team has injuries. It's what you do when you experience them.

I applaud the Rays and the A's and the Indians and the Brewers for what they've done, with so much less, this year. 

Do you go onto other fan sites and tell them about your love for other teams?  That would be pretty cool.  

2 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

you should go to one of their fan sites and post. why even spend so much time here? don't you have better things to do with your time? (serious question)

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Us lemmings?  Dude we are in an Angel Fan Website, sorry we discuss Angel things and we aren’t crying twats about it.

Well, that's fine. I have transitioned into more of an overall baseball fan, who chooses to hang here because I still have a traditional allegiance with the Angels. And there are some good posters, including yourself. You can be rational,

But dont demand that I be emotionally tied to the Angels, too. I cant do it, with the way Arte has performed. It's not rational.

3 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Well, that's fine. I have transitioned into more of an overall baseball fan, who chooses to hang here because I still have a traditional allegiance with the Angels. And there are some good posters, including yourself. You can be rational,

But dont demand that I be emotionally tied to the Angels, too. I cant do it, with the way Arte has performed. It's not rational.

buddha.jpg