• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spending this off-season

Stradling

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Well, 80 mil only gets you so much.

Imagine what you could do with 180-200 mil?

Uh, never mind...............

Then they should spend more money, the owners have the money.  They shouldn’t be applauded for what they do with a limited budget.  

The current team as is, without any changes at all, has a solid chance at 85 wins; the Pythagorean Record bears that out. The question is: how to make that 85+ wins closer to a certainty with a chance to win 90?

Well, the WAR thread pointed out what we already know, that the team this year is like so:

Weaknesses: C, 1B, 3B, RF, SP

Neutral: RP, 2B

Strengths: SS, CF, LF, DH

My $30 million solutions:

Obviously DH, SS, CF, and LF are OK. I'd let Calhoun keep his job, assuming that he'll be more consistent and at least league average. I also don't want to clog up a spot for Adell, who could be ready as soon as late next year.

Furthermore, I'd solve 2B and 3B from within, with some combination of Fletcher, Cozart, Rengifo, and Ward; maybe a dash of Fernandez. 2B was pretty good between Kinsler and Fletcher and I think should be at least average next year. 3B was a real weakness, but either Cozart comes back and is solid, Ward takes a step forward, Fernandez is adequate, and even Rengifo takes over 2B and Fletcher moves to 3B. Either way, 2B and 3B can be filled internally--and for cheap--at about league average level.

That least C, 1B, SP and RP for possible external upgrades.

Catcher: I do not feel good about Briceno/Arcia. I'd go after Grandal, and if not him Ramos or some else, perhaps a clever trade.

1B: Hard to imagine Pujols not getting the job, but the door will open for Walsh, Fernandez, and Thaiss. I'd probably keep this internal, at least for 2019. I feel confident that between the four of them, decent production will emerge - and again, for internal (cheap) money.

SP: I'd go after Corbin ($20+ million a year, nine figures) but not go completely overboard. If not him, look for someone like Eovaldi.

RP: Familia is the guy - he's really good and will be a lot cheaper than Kimbrel, and better than Herrera. I'd also consider going after someone like Robertson.

I figure with those changes--signing a catcher, a starter, and a reliever or two, with internal solutions at 2B, SS, 3B, DH, and the outfield--will convert the above to:

Weaknesses: None.

Neutral: SP, 2B, 3B, 1B, C.

Strengths: SS, CF, LF, DH, RP, maybe SP, maybe C.

10 hours ago, Blarg said:

Vomited into a napkin there. It involved too much beer and a bet I couldn't eat uni. Ended up sneezing uni eggs out my nose for about an hour. Good times. 

Let that be a lesson............NEVER EAT UNI!!!

It's the only thing on a sushi menu I wont touch. I'll eat mackerel and shrimp boats with the raw quail egg, but not UNI. 

UNI is like completely soggy Wheaties with a fishiness. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

why would the Dodgers, who have proven they will outspend other teams to keep their pending free agents, let Grandal walk away? 

Did they stay under the tax this year?  I know that was the goal, but not sure if they were able to with their additions.  They want to reset the tax as did the Yankees.  

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

why would the Dodgers, who have proven they will outspend other teams to keep their pending free agents, let Grandal walk away? 

I think the idea here is that they have 2 top 100 prospects that are catchers.  Including their best one.  So, the presumption is that they won’t commit long term to Grandal. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Man, I leave you guys for a while and look what happens. 

To answer from way earlier...

The Angels have about $30-33M to spend on players who are not here now. That means it doesn’t count raises and arb salaries for guys who are here. 

As I’ve said before, don’t look at the luxury tax number. That uses the average salaries and some players have actual salaries much higher than their average. Trout, Pujols, Simmons, Calhoun are at the back end of multiyear deals. 

The good news there is that any free agents they sign now to 3-plus year deals, they can backload to have less of a hit in 2019. It’s also a pretty good motivation to extend Trout, so they can reduce his 2019 salary (as they did with Upton).

Also, you can trade away or nontender guys to make some space. JC Ramírez $2-3M, Bedrosian 2-3M, Parker 2-3M, Shoemaker 4-5M.

Carry on....