• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Right Field home runs

Tank

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

13 from our opponents vs. 7 for the halos?  

damn.  that's like two wins.  

that's a pretty significant fail by our stats department imo.  

there is no way any stats backed this decision up, someone wanted to see more homeruns.  if the stats people were able to justify the move then i'd love to see what assumptions they baked into their analysis.  

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

I always assumed they were doing it for long term reasons.  I doubt they expected it to have an immediate positive effect.  I figured it was to help entice left handed hitters to play here and once that happens the results should even out.  It was never going to benefit the Angels more than opposing teams immediately given the fact they are a heavily RHH team.

At the end of the day, even if they had a fair amount of LHH, it is going to be about 50-50 at best.  That is why I figured the reasoning behind it was more long term (fans get to see more HRs, LHH may be a little more easily persuaded to sign here, etc.)

FWIW, I know for a fact Eppler mentioned it to Ohtani when courting him. 

I think they were obviously hoping it would help Ohtani but his power is more to center field anyways it turns out. The guy who needs to do a better job capitalizing on it next year is Calhoun. He should hit 30 with the wall the way it is.

Trout has never really been a big opposite field power guy. Occasionally, sure, but 85-90% of his HRs are either to center or left. In fact I’m having a hard time remembering more than 3 oppo home runs for him all year this year (road and home) The move definitely wasn’t designed for him

On 9/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

FWIW, I know for a fact Eppler mentioned it to Ohtani when courting him. 

Ohtani's average home run distance this year ranked him 12th at 415 feet. I don't think he needed any help getting the ball out of the yard. 

He's also ranked 5th in home runs per plate appearances so to hell with Pujols as a DH.   

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Quite a few of Ohtani's outs seem to be hard hit.   Imagine him starting 150 games as DH in 2019, if coming to fruition.

There is a stat called Batted Ball Events. Of the 198 BBE Ohtani has 99 considered as hard hit or roughly 51%. That ranks him 8th in baseball. Trout is ranked 29th.