• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Nick Tropeano will miss end of Angels’ season because of nagging shoulder issue

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — Nick Tropeano’s season officially ended with the decision to put his throwing program on hold and get a platelet-rich plasma injection on Friday.

The Angels’ right-hander has been bothered by bursitis off and on all season, and the latest bout of shoulder discomfort never quite subsided enough for him to get back in a game.

“It’s tough,” Tropeano said Tuesday. “It really (stinks). I’m going to take it for what it is. Hopefully, this relieves some of the symptoms.”

Tropeano said he underwent an MRI that showed no structural damage to his shoulder, so he’s confident he doesn’t need surgery. He said he’ll have about 10 days off after the PRP injection, and then he’ll have a normal winter.

Tropeano, 28, underwent Tommy John surgery in 2016. He returned early this season and posted a 4.74 ERA in 14 starts. In three of his starts, he pitched at least six innings and gave up one or no runs. He last pitched in a game on Aug. 6.

ALSO

Manager Mike Scioscia said there is still no decision from Shohei Ohtani about if, or when, he will have Tommy John surgery. Ohtani is expected to relent and have the surgery, although he could potentially wait until after the season and still have time to be ready to hit by opening day 2019. …

Parker Bridwell returned to the majors for the first time since April. Bridwell had missed most of the minor league season with tightness in his elbow, which eventually led to arthroscopic surgery in July to remove bone chips. Bridwell has been rehabbing in Arizona since then. “I’m happy where I’m at right now,” he said.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Felix Peña, 2-4, 4.04) vs. Rangers (RHP Yovani Gallardo,  8-4, 6.22), Wednesday, 7 p.m., Fox Sports West, KLAA (830 AM)

View the full article

Getting hard to feel optimistic about committing 2019 40-man roster spots to Tropeano, Bridwell, Meyer, and even Shoemaker should he get hurt again the next few weeks. Even if they're 'depth', it's hard to rely on them even for that and we wind up using relievers and waiver claims.

At some point it may be best to DFA, non-tender, or trade these guys and get new arms in their place. Best thing they have going for them is that they have options still, with the exception of Meyer. 

Going to be tough for Meyer. I don't think he ever got around to a throwing program yet - in fact I think I read he was recently shutdown before it even started. 

He's out of options, so he has to be on the Opening Day roster if we want to keep him. This plus numerous shoulder issues/surgeries, mixed results...I'm not totally convinced he'll make it through the offseason on the 40-man. I'd like to keep him if possible, but also wouldn't be surprised if he was cut loose - maybe re-signed on a minor-league deal or slips through waivers.

This seems to be the pattern post-TMJ surgery...it happened to both Skaggs and Heaney.  I especially remember Heaney getting shut down after 5 starts at the end of 2017 due to "Shoulder Inflammation".  He was getting pummeled - 12 HR allowed in 21.2 IP - but he also managed to take field relatively quickly after his surgery as well.

Bursitis is a lot different than what was suffered by Meyer, who had actual shoulder surgery and required a year absence, so I'm not sure why Trop wouldn't still be consideration at this point.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Going to be tough for Meyer. I don't think he ever got around to a throwing program yet - in fact I think I read he was recently shutdown before it even started. 

He's out of options, so he has to be on the Opening Day roster if we want to keep him. This plus numerous shoulder issues/surgeries, mixed results...I'm not totally convinced he'll make it through the offseason on the 40-man. I'd like to keep him if possible, but also wouldn't be surprised if he was cut loose - maybe re-signed on a minor-league deal or slips through waivers.

Depends on what progress he shows....if they are encouraged, he'll be on the 40 man and, if they can't option him after spring training, they'll put him on the DL and then try a minor league rehab assignment...

Nick Tropeano was never part of any success plan I had in my brain for the Angels.

Every team has some bodies that fill roles.  Tropeano is a major league player but the reality is a plan to win a championship probably shouldn't be including Nick Tropeano.

So whatever.  I wish him well and yet I equally wish this helps the Angels acknowledge the need for top half of the rotation starting pitching.