• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy?

Vlad27Trout27

No, it's not worth exploring at all. The Angels need Adell more than his current trade value. You will not get that 6 years of club control back and Adell is the Calhoun replacement. It's not even a question, he jumped 3 leagues in one year and his stats increased on every promotion. 

Next year he will start in AA, move to AAA and then onto the Angels bench in September. In 2020 he will be the starting right fielder. That is going to happen.

The Angels can buy a pitcher. They can package plenty of players with no position openings but they can't let their #1 prospect go. No team trades their #1 prospect these days, there is just too much value to the parent club. 

Scratch Adell from any trade proposal, it's not going to happen. 

26 minutes ago, Blarg said:

No, it's not worth exploring at all. The Angels need Adell more than his current trade value. You will not get that 6 years of club control back and Adell is the Calhoun replacement. It's not even a question, he jumped 3 leagues in one year and his stats increased on every promotion. 

Next year he will start in AA, move to AAA and then onto the Angels bench in September. In 2020 he will be the starting right fielder. That is going to happen.

The Angels can buy a pitcher. They can package plenty of players with no position openings but they can't let their #1 prospect go. No team trades their #1 prospect these days, there is just too much value to the parent club. 

Scratch Adell from any trade proposal, it's not going to happen. 

Yep!

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Disagree - they have plenty of OF talent on the farm. Marsh is a step behind, Jones could always reconvert, plenty of lower level guys exist, and we can still pick up Calhoun's option. Ohtani may even wind up an option before all is said and done. Adams, Deveaux, Knowles, etc. are further away but at least one of them may be moving fast. Several fringe prospects also may turn into at least average everyday options.

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

No team trades their #1 prospect these days, there is just too much value to the parent club. 

I don't think the Brewers are too upset having dealt their #1(Brinson, .331/.400/.562/.962 for MIL AAA last year) for Yelich (.313/.380/.551/.931). Don't think the Red Sox regret dealing Moncada for Sale. Washington traded Giolito, Indians traded Mejia, Pirates traded Meadows...all these guys either were or hovered at #1. It still happens. 

Jo Adell has tremendous value right now. Tremendous to the Angels, tremendous on the trade market. We already have arguably two of the best hitters in baseball for at least two more years (and I think Trout likely re-signs) and zilch in the frontline pitching department, the hardest thing in baseball to develop and/or acquire - even if you have the raw potential it is difficult to project or harness or expect it. Even when they do achieve it, half the time, they wind up hurt. 

Jo Adell is worth exploring in a trade for a frontline ace with at least two seasons of control. He alone does not represent the future of the club. No one player is 'the future' and no one prospect can make a team a winner no matter how good they are in the bigs (see Mike Trout) and if you're able to leverage Adell, one person, into being 50-80% of the value in a deal, it's something to consider.

If Adell + a top 10 gets you a stud SP, is that better than 3-4 Top 10 prospects for the same pitcher? 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jo Adell is worth exploring in a trade for a frontline ace with at least two seasons of control.

And there goes your credibility and also puts you in the Dipoto day trader room all by yourself. That would be the stupidest waste of resources you could possible choose with pitcher volatility and the chance that injury could nullify both years. 

I know the entire trade world is a sexy game of what can we get for X player(s) but sometimes you have to step back and ask yourself are you addicted to this or committed because it really makes sense. Trading Adell really doesn't make sense with the team the Angels are building for more than a two year window. 

37 minutes ago, Blarg said:

And there goes your credibility and also puts you in the Dipoto day trader room all by yourself. That would be the stupidest waste of resources you could possible choose with pitcher volatility and the chance that injury could nullify both years. 

I know the entire trade world is a sexy game of what can we get for X player(s) but sometimes you have to step back and ask yourself are you addicted to this or committed because it really makes sense. Trading Adell really doesn't make sense with the team the Angels are building for more than a two year window. 

I was disagreeing with your statement that teams never trade their #1 prospects. Plenty have done it recently. Brinson-plus for Yelich looks like a fantastic trade at this point. Moncada and Kopech for Sale, one of those who screamed volatility, is looking just fine for the Red Sox. Giolito, Lopez, etc. for Eaton? Not so much. But it happens. Teams take the risk, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. 

Eppler's first move was trading our #1 prospect!

Personally, if I were to paint a scenario and go in one direction, it would be the exact opposite of trading Adell. 

But Eppler has proven to be very skilled at trying to maintain a competitive team while building for the future. If he was truly looking to build beyond the next two years, he could have kept Newcomb. He might not have signed Upton. He could have sold someone at the deadline. But they've continued to build the farm, and he states that the Angels will continue to 'go for it', whatever that means - does he go with the usual Eppler stopgap method again, or being in his final contract year, do something bold?

26 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I believe Eppler is done with stopgap players, Kinsler/Cozart were the last. From here on out it's probably long term solutions. 

After seeing how well he made out on the Maldonado and Kinsler deals, I'm not too sure of that either. Especially with the dearth of optionable young talent on the roster now. We can have an actual layering of talent in the lineup, on the bench, and in AAA. As exciting as it is that we have prospects now, the ceiling is still sort of limited for most of the ones ready for big-league play, and guys like Fletcher and Hermosillo might be better suited in reserve roles.

Eppler has been a fantastic GM in my book because he's seemingly working all three strategies at once. He keeps the team competitive, at least on paper, keeping us in that awkward are they or aren't they position, but he's barely touched the farm in the process and in fact found a way to add to it significantly without ever being a 'seller', yet he's made moves that also benefited a long-term win-now vision as the resources have allowed. 

He is never a clear seller, buyer, or in-betweener. He is opportunistic without it being a fault like Dipoto was, trading for the sake of it. As such, no, it wouldn't surprise me if he paralleled the Simmons trade and moved our #1 prospect in order to fill a need for a #1 SP, especially since no one on the farm profiles as such, and we will not have either Ohtani or a re-signed Richards in the role next year. Like before the Simmons trade, we have a need and no internal solution. It's about as likely as Eppler moving Simmons for SP prospects now and signing Machado for SS, but really at this point a move in either direction wouldn't be completely out of character after the other pieces fall into place.

I don't see Eppler trading any of our outfielders prospects at this moment. I think he's waiting for at least 2/3  of these  prospects to come up to the show and make a big impact.  If you've looked at the past big trades and the rosters, its been a similar trend.

Before the RedSox acquired Sale, they allowed 3 prospects to come up to the show and all 3 are having an impact. These guys were Mookie, Benintendi and Bogaerts.

Same with the Yankee's Judge, Sanchez and Severino became key player for them, than they traded for Gray

Same with Verlander and the Astros.

Luckily for us we are almost there, Ohtani Dhing has been pleasant surprise, Canning looks like he could be a solid piece, now all we are lacking is another solid bat and we have 3 guys that could be that bat  ( Adell, Marsh or Jones), If everything plans out we could have of 2 of these making impacts.

Another issue i've noticed on this board, is that most of you guys want an Ace be it free agencies or trade  without looking at the risks!

The First thing to notice about next year's free agency, is that its not a strong pitching market. The best free agent pitcher available  is Corbin and personally i see him being a lock for New York or back in Az. If we going to try sign corbin, we would have have to overpay! The next pitcher we have is keuchel he's more of a 3 at this point. Than there the outside source, they Japanese pitcher that may or may not be posted, but is dealing with shoulder issues.  

Now for the trades, we know there a few names out there, but we don't know if they are on the market or not. The giants and Mets look as if they want to compete.

Unless we give up Adell, Marsh and Canning right Now, they won't budge. So, we can either run the rotation that we will have until trade-deadline or we can make a small trade, such as, Bundy/Grey/ Urena and than make a big trade to acquire someone like Degrom or  Bumgarner! 

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Disagree - they have plenty of OF talent on the farm. Marsh is a step behind, Jones could always reconvert, plenty of lower level guys exist, and we can still pick up Calhoun's option. Ohtani may even wind up an option before all is said and done. Adams, Deveaux, Knowles, etc. are further away but at least one of them may be moving fast. Several fringe prospects also may turn into at least average everyday options.

I don't think the Brewers are too upset having dealt their #1(Brinson, .331/.400/.562/.962 for MIL AAA last year) for Yelich (.313/.380/.551/.931). Don't think the Red Sox regret dealing Moncada for Sale. Washington traded Giolito, Indians traded Mejia, Pirates traded Meadows...all these guys either were or hovered at #1. It still happens. 

Jo Adell has tremendous value right now. Tremendous to the Angels, tremendous on the trade market. We already have arguably two of the best hitters in baseball for at least two more years (and I think Trout likely re-signs) and zilch in the frontline pitching department, the hardest thing in baseball to develop and/or acquire - even if you have the raw potential it is difficult to project or harness or expect it. Even when they do achieve it, half the time, they wind up hurt. 

Jo Adell is worth exploring in a trade for a frontline ace with at least two seasons of control. He alone does not represent the future of the club. No one player is 'the future' and no one prospect can make a team a winner no matter how good they are in the bigs (see Mike Trout) and if you're able to leverage Adell, one person, into being 50-80% of the value in a deal, it's something to consider.

If Adell + a top 10 gets you a stud SP, is that better than 3-4 Top 10 prospects for the same pitcher? 

But the same could be said of another quick jumper through the farm: Mike Trout.

When a 19 year-old plays at THREE levels in one year, and has Adell’s make up, well those don’t grow on trees.

On the other recent subject, it’s best to develop your own ace.   You understand their health history closely, their quirks, etc.   For every Verlander acquires, there are many others acquired who never measure up to their past success.   Neither Price nor Grienke has pitched like they did before becoming a FA.

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

Eppler's first move was trading our #1 prospect!

You do realize this trade has nothing to do with where the Angels are at today? Circumstances were completely different, we had a whole bunch of young pitching that had yet to break down and the Angels needed a shortstop, this was his first move of the rebuild.

The first move. 

The Angels are past that point. 

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

You do realize this trade has nothing to do with where the Angels are at today? Circumstances were completely different, we had a whole bunch of young pitching that had yet to break down and the Angels needed a shortstop, this was his first move of the rebuild.

The first move. 

The Angels are past that point. 

I realize that completely. My issue was your statement that teams never trade their #1 prospects nowadays, yet Eppler himself has done so, and 'win-now' teams like the Red Sox, Brewers, and Nationals have all done so recently as well, with mixed results.

Eppler has stated that they still intend to win the next couple of years and there's a clear need for a frontline SP. 

And to your point about the Angels having a bunch of young pitching and needing a shortstop, how does that not parallel the fact that we currently have a bunch of young outfielders and need a frontline SP? 

It's not the direction I would take, but I wouldn't be stunned or outraged if it happened, depending on the names involved of course.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Orioles scratched Bundy from his start, brought up Eshelman, and acquired Wojciechowski...might be a hint that Bundy could be dealt. 

Still not having a great year, but a lot of control left, big strikeout numbers, fairly durable...could be an Eppler target.

4.25 ERA last 13 GS. He needs to get out of the AL East. Change of scenery would do him well.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, totdprods said:

Orioles scratched Bundy from his start, brought up Eshelman, and acquired Wojciechowski...might be a hint that Bundy could be dealt. 

Still not having a great year, but a lot of control left, big strikeout numbers, fairly durable...could be an Eppler target.

His BB's and K's are decent and H/9 is not obscene but, at 19 HRs allowed, he's definitely getting pummeled playing the majority of his games in AL East.  I wouldn't be against it if didn't cost much.

"Bundy will get an extra day of rest before his next scheduled start, Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports.

Bundy was lined up to start Monday against the Rays on normal rest, but manager Brandon Hyde decided to give him an extra day, so he will take the ball Tuesday against Tampa Bay instead. The Orioles have not yet announced who will start Monday's contest."

1 minute ago, Lou said:

"Bundy will get an extra day of rest before his next scheduled start, Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports.

Bundy was lined up to start Monday against the Rays on normal rest, but manager Brandon Hyde decided to give him an extra day, so he will take the ball Tuesday against Tampa Bay instead. The Orioles have not yet announced who will start Monday's contest."

posts cringe GIF

11 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

His BB's and K's are decent and H/9 is not obscene but, at 19 HRs allowed, he's definitely getting pummeled playing the majority of his games in AL East.  I wouldn't be against it if didn't cost much.

Strikes me as a decent buy-low candidate. Wouldn’t be terrible if he was counted on as the 4th or 5th guy in the rotation for a year or two, and still some chance he becomes something better. 

Pena isn’t really cutting it, and Barria and Suarez haven’t done much to claim it. 

The Orioles farm is so early into a rebuild they’d probably have a pretty wide net of prospects they’d consider. 

I just saw that too, @Lou, but still wouldn’t be surprised if the Orioles shopped him.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:15 AM, totdprods said:

I realize that completely. My issue was your statement that teams never trade their #1 prospects nowadays, yet Eppler himself has done so, and 'win-now' teams like the Red Sox, Brewers, and Nationals have all done so recently as well, with mixed results.

Eppler has stated that they still intend to win the next couple of years and there's a clear need for a frontline SP. 

And to your point about the Angels having a bunch of young pitching and needing a shortstop, how does that not parallel the fact that we currently have a bunch of young outfielders and need a frontline SP? 

It's not the direction I would take, but I wouldn't be stunned or outraged if it happened, depending on the names involved of course.

Technically, yes, Newcomb was our #1 prospect but on any normal team he would have been a #5 to #10 type, not a true elite player, which was reflected by his various rankings in multiple publications. Don't get me wrong I liked his potential but you would be very hard pressed to put Newcomb in an Adell/Franco/Guerrero Jr. type category.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Could be a solid trade piece for us next season. His numbers do not look good, but the stuff is solid.  Taking him out of the Al east could be quite good for him, Looking at his ex-teammate Gausman, since leaving the Al East he's pitched really well with the Braves. These are  Gausman's stats from the Last 15 games: 

image.png.edba3201102fdf223fe36a6e91d98939.png

Most of would proIbably agreed with me, that Bundy has much better stuff than Gausman.  He could be solid rotation option next year, behind SKaggs and Heaney. 

If we are counting on Skaggs and Heaney for our rotation, were in trouble. They are not good and we need to find some pitchers next season who can pitch at least 7 innings, not 3 or 4. If this trend continues our relief pitching will also suck because they will be over used like they are now.