• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

An honest question about Mike Scioscia's future

T.G.

If Mike Scioscia's true desire is to retire "quietly" at the end of the season - what right does Bob Nightengale or Ken Rosenthal have in reporting about his desire?  Is the public's "right to know" or "need to know" greater than Scioscia's desire to keep the spotlight off himself?  Hasn't he earned that right?

And about those sources who supposedly confirmed his plans - what kind of people do that?  Who betrays the confidence of someone in that manner?

Everything we know about Scioscia screams that he's a private person.  He doesn't want the spotlight. 

Fans don't have a right to know or a need to know.

Any argument based on that is silly.

The argument is a reporter is free to report.

The public talking about you or asking you questions is just par for the course if you are in the public spotlight.

I can't see any reasonable argument that this topic (approaching the end of a 10 year deal) is somehow off limits just because the manager might prefer to not have it be an active subject.

33 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I doubt Rosenthal made it up.  Being in the limelight is part of the deal.  Scoiscia has been around long enough to know that.  He also doesn’t have to play along.  Which so far, he’s not.  That’s fine also.

His opinion is solely based on assumption and other peoples opinion. The odds are he is correct but it comes across as fact. 

2 minutes ago, Jobu said:

He definitely made it up. I can tell because it doesn't confirm my personal biases.

Let's not argue.  All we really have to do is give it to Jim Acosta so Jim Acosta can report how it affects Jim Acosta's rights to report on Jim Acosta's exerience in reporting Jim Acosta's feelings about Jim Acosta's access to more convenient information for Jim Acosta.

My guess is...
The reports are true. Scioscia will indeed step down, and it's been common knowledge to a few well-placed people - Arte, very close friends, perhaps mang or Trout.
He never wanted a farewell, he never wanted distraction, never wanted a media circus, and those that knew, respected that and kept it close to the cuff, and those that found out, like Rosenthal, felt the same way and withheld this information throughout the season. 

Then, once the deadline passed, the Angels became sellers, the season drifted away, Rosenthal/Nightengale knew this would come out sooner or later, and they wanted to get the scoop before someone else did - but also do it at a time that felt like a fair compromise (at least in their minds) to both give Scioscia his privacy (the first half of the season) and also give him the opportunity to receive the praise and respect he's earned, as well as the opportunity for fans, players, the public, the media, and the industry to give him a proper send-off and farewell. Sosh isn't like that. He was never going to ask for that or make this public for that to happen, but what's to say Angel fans and baseball as a whole shouldn't get some opportunity to see him off and pay their respects. 

It's not that black and white - it's like throwing a surprise birthday party for a badass coworker. They may never ask for it, they may not like the attention, but that doesn't mean they can't still be appreciated in a manner their colleagues see fit.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

If Mike Scioscia's true desire is to retire "quietly" at the end of the season - what right does Bob Nightengale or Ken Rosenthal have in reporting about his desire?  Is the public's "right to know" or "need to know" greater than Scioscia's desire to keep the spotlight off himself?  Hasn't he earned that right?

And about those sources who supposedly confirmed his plans - what kind of people do that?  Who betrays the confidence of someone in that manner?

The news media wouldn't exist if the reporting of information was done on that basis.

We might be living in North Korea if the subjects of every story first had to "approve" the release of information.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I disagree with this.  

I think it is their job to report what is true, is also is of interest the public, and is fair. .  Use professional disciplined discretion.

If they know for a fact Scioscia hates Kim Kardashian, don't report it.  That's stupid garbage.

If they know for a fact he is 100% certain he doesn't want to keep managing the Angels and they got the information squarely, they should report it.  That would be a relevant piece of information for interested Angel fans.

My point is I dont think a major factor in deciding to report something is if the subject wants it out.

The question is if it is fair, honest and relevant.

31 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

His opinion is solely based on assumption and other peoples opinion. The odds are he is correct but it comes across as fact. 

It’s not an opinion, he claims to have an actual source.  I have no reason to not believe that a guy like Ken Rosenthal would fabricate that, or take anything out of context.  

33 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

The news media wouldn't exist if the reporting of information was done on that basis.

We might be living in North Korea if the subjects of every story first had to "approve" the release of information.

I agree that when it comes to government officials and the activities of the government, the media has an obligation to publish what they learn.

This is f'ing baseball. Respect Mike Scioscia's desire to retire quietly, without creating a media circus.

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s not an opinion, he claims to have an actual source.  I have no reason to not believe that a guy like Ken Rosenthal would fabricate that, or take anything out of context.  

Is that your opinion of their opinion of his opinion?

33 minutes ago, tomsred said:

No, it's their job to confirm and verify what they hear hear, and then report it accurately.  It's not to pass rumors.  Anything short of that is lazy.

I didn’t say they should pass rumors. But if they hear something from a trusted source, it is absolutely their job to pass that on to the audience. You may not like it, but that’s how they make their living

33 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Scioscia himself refuted the statement ... nothing has changed since the beginning of the season. I'll take Scioscia word over Rosenthal's. To be fair ... Rosenthal said, Scioscia is EXPECTED to step down.

Poppycock

42 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Is that your opinion of their opinion of his opinion?

23 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Scioscia himself refuted the statement ... nothing has changed since the beginning of the season. I'll take Scioscia word over Rosenthal's. To be fair ... Rosenthal said, Scioscia is EXPECTED to step down.

Poppycock

If Scoiscia doesn’t want to talk about it then why is it so hard to believe he’d deny it ? We all know that Mike Scoiscia has ALWAYS been forthright with the media.  RIGHT ?!?

Come on guys.  Do we think a national writer(the biggest one) is going to make up a story and make said story about the Angels. 

The answer is no. 

I normally don't think about such things, but this seems different.  It's not a trade rumor or about someone breaking the law.  It seems like a private matter that for all intensive reasons should remain private.  There's no harm in Scioscia keeping his intentions private and he has said he'll address it after the season. That should be good enough.  This just bugs me.

As long as the writer didn't make it up, I really don't care how Mike Scioscia feels about this being reported.

Mike can put some pants on and deal with it.

The bottom line is, after a 10 year contract it is NORMAL AND EXPECTED that people want to know any details about the plan going forward.

I can't make my brain view it as some violation of his privacy.  His employment with the Angels is not really private.

He can comment on it, not comment on it, whatever he wants.

But if he expects nobody to discuss it or report details on any developments, his expectations are out of whack.