• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hi everyone. Old Hippie Chick here

I agree with you. The only thing that should never happen is turn a tragedy into a political talking point but that is exactly what happens all too often. Facts are skewed by our emotions, which is understandable in many cases. I know I've posted about it in the past that I had my son die after surgery a few years back. The last thing I'd do is try to look at that tragedy as something political with the doctors, hospitals, healthcare, etc... I can attest what losing a child does to you. Your situation sucks and yes, I hope I never go through that with my daughter either. My wife's best friend survived the San Bernardino attack (everyone at her table died). Another close friend and co-worker was shot through the back (missed her spine by millimeters)at the Las Vegas shooting. Thank God she was released from the hospital after only 3 hours.  Both these people experienced tragedy and Trauma. They both have reacted totally different in terms of how they view firearms, etc.. People get emotional when it comes to politics so I try not to take that stuff personally. As for my friends, I specifically avoid talking the political side of things with them out of respect for the trauma they went through. 

There's so much truth to this and this is truly an important post. I think most, if not all of us are guilty of considerably abandoning our civility in this forum. I certainly have been at times. I truly believe that we could benefit from a conversation style that would mesh the best parts of both in person and online discussion, because they certainly each have pros and cons. In person, especially with people that we don't know all that darn well, we're far more likely to avoid uncomfortable discussions but to keep things civil. Online, there's a depth of discussion that can't be achieved always in person due to the timeframe over which we carry out discussions, but man oh man people can treat each other like garbage in ways we'd never dream of in person.

The thing is... How can this be done? Online our feedback can be limited to "likes" etc, which are more or less the equivalent of receiving a high five or something like that with every sentence/paragraph we'd utter in person. The risk/reward system for online discussion is completely jacked.

Great post, @BaseballMom. You're officially a member of The Good Dude/Dudettes Club for Good Dudes and Dudettes. @Geoff, please be sure to collect her member fee.

20 hours ago, BaseballMom said:

I am what is known to some here as a Libtard, some as an emotional female, some as just a regular beer drinking Halo fan.

To me you'll always be all 3.   ;)

20 hours ago, BaseballMom said:

There are times that members of this board may actually live through some of the topics that are posted in this forum.  I have tried to "take the high road", but have found that to be hypocritical, to say the least. I would ask that if someone posts something personal that has happened to them within the subject matter of the thread, that you remember that the person is real.  I am not just a screen name or avatar.  I am a real person who is a Mom and Grandma. I understand if you choose to respond with memes or videos to posts, but if someone posts about real events that affect them personally, it makes a huge difference if you respond with your true self instead of your "interweb" self.

I hear ya.  Two of my very good friends were killed by a drunk driver after leaving a party at my house years ago.  They had only been married 13 months.  She was driving.  She was sober.  She had to be sober, because in addition to being a newlywed she was also a breastfeeding mother to a 2 month old boy.  To this day I still hang onto guilt about that.  "What if I didn't have the party?  What if I didn't invite them over?" 

We all have our causes and issues that hit closer to the bone than other issues might.  That's just our life experiences.  I think it's important to be sensitive (to be human) in the way we engage with someone who we know is going through a difficult time concerning a certain issue.  I also think it's important that we understand that people and the world don't necessarily change just because an issue is now super important to us.

You're a good broad!  xxxoooxxxooo

Thanks for all the responses, they are much appreciated.  Hey, EYJr just homered...awesome!   Where was I?  Yeah, thanks you guys for the responses and I promise that I will also try to do better myself.  Love you all, well most of ya!

Oh @Geoff  Do you take bitcoin?  Unless you have reviewed your policy regarding seniors, because I will take that discount all day long.

5 minutes ago, BaseballMom said:

Thanks for all the responses, they are much appreciated.  Hey, EYJr just homered...awesome!   Where was I?  Yeah, thanks you guys for the responses and I promise that I will also try to do better myself.  Love you all, well most of ya!

Oh @Geoff  Do you take bitcoin?  Unless you have reviewed your policy regarding seniors, because I will take that discount all day long.

We're just going to charge MAGA double, so you're covered.