• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia: "Jerome not as stretched out as he eventually will be."

I wish someone had brought it up, because I'm legitimately interested about this, how a guy who has thrown 90+ pitches in both his previous starts after 70+ out of the bullpen(when he really wasn't stretched out prior to that) now isn't stretched out enough to go longer than 74 pitches.

Langston actually called Scioscia out on Angel Talk tonight several times. To paraphrase, he said he saw a pitcher that was cruising and totally in control of the game. He hadn't had a lot of stressful innings and had great control of his sinker all night and all he had given up was an infield hit. It would be different if the Angels had a lights out bullpen. He said Scioscia needed to have guys warmed up, just in case, but needed to get the whip out and get him to the finish line.

Nice to hear an Angels' announcer state the obvious, too bad he probably won't be around too long.

Of Course, Terry never said a word. He's been here 12 seasons and would like to keep it that way.

Hearing Jerome's comments after the game, it's obvious he agreed with Langston as well.

Langston actually called Scioscia out on Angel Talk tonight several times. To paraphrase, he said he saw a pitcher that was cruising and totally in control of the game. He hadn't had a lot of stressful innings and had great control of his sinker all night and all he had given up was an infield hit. It would be different if the Angels had a lights out bullpen. He said Scioscia needed to have guys warmed up, just in case, but needed to get the whip out and get him to the finish line.

Nice to hear an Angels' announcer state the obvious, too bad he probably won't be around too long.

Of Course, Terry never said a word. He's been here 12 seasons and would like to keep it that way.

Hearing Jerome's comments after the game, it's obvious he agreed with Langston as well.

Moreno should make Langston the interim pitching coach tomorrow.

Man, Langston isn't always right, but he makes a very good point if he said this. I like his analysis on pitching, its not something I've heard during broadcasts before, and I like his take and honesty on the frame of mind of staying in the game. He's also made references to pitch counts at times saying if a guy is in a groove and pitching well, it's NOT gonna kill him to throw 110+ pitches in a game! He wants to, let him do it!

Why can't Scioscia, just once, head out there without making up his mind that he's switching a pitcher before hand, and grow some camaraderie.  Say "You got this, we both know it. You're gonna have to make a couple tough pitches but keep 'em low. I don't wanna use my 'pen, and you don't wanna leave the game. Lets both finish this game happy!"

I usually defend Mike's comments to the media, but this is just stupid. Don't give me the "pitch count" garbage. He threw 20 fewer pitches than either of his other two starts. Jerome is more than capable of throwing 90-100 pitches and last night was no exception.

Your over-managing backfired, Mike. Own up to it.

I usually defend Mike's comments to the media, but this is just stupid. Don't give me the "pitch count" garbage. He threw 20 fewer pitches than either of his other two starts. Jerome is more than capable of throwing 90-100 pitches and last night was no exception.

Your over-managing backfired, Mike. Own up to it.

Ya, this is just a weird comment.

While I'm sure most of us would have disagreed with him if he had said "We felt like Jerome wasn't locating as well and the Sox were getting better swings off of him" or whatever, that's a subjective evaluation.

So why try to say he's not stretched out enough, which is demonstrably false based on how far he's gone his past few times out?

I have a challenge for Mike Scioscia. 

Let the team manage itself for a few games and see if they win.  Have Butcher inform the starter of his pitch counts with the condition they can't exceed 110 pitches.  Tell the bullpen to watch the game closely and come up with their own plan for bailing out the starter.  Cut out the ridiculous sacrifice bunting and leave it up to the players if they will steal bases or not.  At the least, it would be a fun morale booster and the results couldn't be any worse. 

More importantly though, it would help players see each other's strengths and weaknesses more clearly without an overbearing manager trying to "fix" things.  I think this would fire guys up to fill the voids left by others if they could see those problems for what they really are. 

This is how a team is supposed to work.