• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How is Oakland and Seattle better than the Halos?

I’m sure many have an opinion, but after watching Diaz close a game out last night, and Trienen have a 10 pitch shut out inning tonight... isn’t it kind of obvious? Sure we have holes, but don’t you think we would be 10 games over .500 if we had a lights out closer? 

We have 22 saves on the season vs 42 (Sea) and 32 (Oak). We’ve blown 18 saves this season. A good bullpen/closer gets 13 of those 18. 

This team isn’t as bad as some people think. They’re 2-3 good RP’s away from contending.

Most of our blown saves aren't in the 8th or 9th innings.  Hansel Robles got a blown save in the 6th inning against Chicago when he came in with a 1 run lead, 2 on and no outs.  It's a combination of bad offense, starters that can only go 5 or 6 innings and average BP guys pitching constantly with 1 and 2 run leads.

32 minutes ago, Hufflepuff said:

I’m sure many have an opinion, but after watching Diaz close a game out last night, and Trienen have a 10 pitch shut out inning tonight... isn’t it kind of obvious? Sure we have holes, but don’t you think we would be 10 games over .500 if we had a lights out closer? 

We have 22 saves on the season vs 42 (Sea) and 32 (Oak). We’ve blown 18 saves this season. A good bullpen/closer gets 13 of those 18. 

This team isn’t as bad as some people think. They’re 2-3 good RP’s away from contending.

The rotation the A's have is a joke. Manaea and that's about it.

They have HORRIFIC base running...23 steals..18 caught. The Marlins are 2nd to last with 30.

BUT, most of their bullpen is underrated.

Chapman is having a nice season.

Davis...almost no one notices him..he's going to have another 40 homer year.

and they crush the ball on the road (.800) ops.

I do think both the M's/A's should have around 4-6 less wins, though.

They were last place in the division 3 years straight previously and not even close to competitive. Since 2007 they've had a sub .500 record 7 times and many if those years sub .470. If you think they are going to be competitive more than two years in a row you don't know the A's. And by competive I mean not fighting for the better draft pick. 

A's fans have jerseys in their closet with their favorite number since the team trades away all the names. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Oakland has a ton of money. They just don't spend it. 

The OWNER has a ton of money. He just doesnt spend it on the A's. He has many other investments.

If he spent like the Angels, the A's would be underwater with their attendance and TV package. They might be anyway;  I'm not sure.

Let's face it. The A's scouting department and Billy Beane are really good at recognizing young talent and developing it. They have been doing this for nearly 20 years now. They also recognize it in players in other organizations and trade for them. 

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

Doing it for 20 years with nothing to show for it.

Beane gets more praise while putting out shitty teams than any other front office executive in sports history.

Hey, give him an additional 100 million a year like Eppler has, and lets see how he does............

They still develop good players. They just cant keep them on the budget they are given. And the development stream tends to be uneven, as players develop at different rates. And pitching injuries are unpredictable, doncha know. 

39 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Hey, give him an additional 100 million a year like Eppler has, and lets see how he does............

They still develop good players. They just cant keep them on the budget they are given. And the development stream tends to be uneven, as players develop at different rates. And pitching injuries are unpredictable, doncha know. 

Fisher and Beane (a minority owner) have the money, they just choose not to spend it.  

What is interesting is how there are no stories about clubhouse issues with the Angels.  When compared to other teams who are under performing this season, the Angels seem to be under performing without drama. 

Obviously both the Mariners and A's are over achieving for whatever reason or reasons.

I was reading the fire sale article on the MLB site, and realized the issue:

No Bueno, Marte, and Cowart will be splitting 3rd base duties the rest of the year.  Players don’t work out, I understand that, but the team never moves on. Just give Cowart the job the rest of the year, and jettison the other two.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

if he wanted $100 million more to spend he should have taken the job in Boston.

he has a ownership stake in the A's. he should convince them to spend more.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

How many A's players have they traded away in the last decade and have been impact or good players elsewhere?  I am sure there are a few, but it isn't like it was back when they had Tejada, Giambi, Hudon, Zito, Mulder.  They have guys like Doolittle doing well for another team.  Gray sucks.  Name some others from the last 10 years.  

I was going to make a thread about Beane a few weeks back. Hes still pretty good at finding cheap talent. Ill give him that. But nowhere near the success he had in the 2000s, when he made his "legend".

So what changed? Was it simply that people caught on to SABR? If that was the case, then was he really a "genius", or just ahead of the curve?

If he were a genius, why hasnt he exploited new loopholes?

I still think hes done a pretty good job. But I also think his legend so to speak was overblown. Moneyball made it look like hatterberg, justice and company was as good as the yankees. It left out tejada and chavez (and steroids). It also pretty much made the big 3 almost a sidenote...which to me was their primary reason for success. And I think zito was the only one beane actually drafted (i could be wrong).

Just now, Stradling said:

How many A's players have they traded away in the last decade and have been impact or good players elsewhere?  I am sure there are a few, but it isn't like it was back when they had Tejada, Giambi, Hudon, Zito, Mulder.  They have guys like Doolittle doing well for another team.  Gray sucks.  Name some others from the last 10 years.  

Cespedes