• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday: 7/31 Angels @ Rays

27 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

The best thing to come out of the injuries and trades is the emergence of Fletcher.  

Next year, I see him as a Figgins type player...he can play 3B, SS and 2B.  

Hopefully, at some time, we let Ward handle 3B and we focus next year on PITCHING and a new catcher

Actually Cowart can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and corner outfield.  He might be best used as a utility player being a switch hitter.  As soon as Ward can get 3B under control defensively, he should be brought up.  I think you are right about the focus for next year, catching and pitching is it.  The bench can be filled out by young guys already in the organization after moving Marte and Valbueno along.  That will free up more money for catching and pitching needs. Actually, I would like to see the bench be some combination of Fernandez, Cowart, Cozart, Hermosillo, and one of either Briceno or Arcia.  We also have Ohtani to work into the mix as a hitter.  For Ohtani it all depends on how his arm responds by the spring.  I still kind of like him as a late inning releiiver, DH and possibly 1B/RF backup.  The way the Angels have used Fletcher, Cozart, Fernandez and Cowart provides for a lot of flexibility.  And the topping on the cake is Adell possibly ready by September next year.

So who are the best catcher free agents (probably Grandahl, Realmuto, Maldonado, ?), and who are the best pitching targets including a lights out closer?

24 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Actually Cowart can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and corner outfield.  He might be best used as a utility player being a switch hitter.  As soon as Ward can get 3B under control defensively, he should be brought up.  I think you are right about the focus for next year, catching and pitching is it.  The bench can be filled out by young guys already in the organization after moving Marte and Valbueno along.  That will free up more money for catching and pitching needs. Actually, I would like to see the bench be some combination of Fernandez, Cowart, Cozart, Hermosillo, and one of either Briceno or Arcia.  We also have Ohtani to work into the mix as a hitter.  For Ohtani it all depends on how his arm responds by the spring.  I still kind of like him as a late inning releiiver, DH and possibly 1B/RF backup.  The way the Angels have used Fletcher, Cozart, Fernandez and Cowart provides for a lot of flexibility.  And the topping on the cake is Adell possibly ready by September next year.

So who are the best catcher free agents (probably Grandahl, Realmuto, Maldonado, ?), and who are the best pitching targets including a lights out closer?

I was a big fan of Cowart over the years...I have soured on him and his lack of production.  He does add some huge flexibility.  I would probably like to see him over both LVB and Marte.  If we are keeping with the Ohtani experiment (yes I know we will be), than flexibility is going to be huge.