• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Downside of the Kinsler trade

Glen

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

As much as I think Ward, Renifigo, and Thaiss all will be up in September, none of those three are on the 40-man roster.

So that's why we're getting Valbuena and Marte and Cowart.

It’s a bullshit excuse for Valbuena and Marte but I understand giving Cowart one more hack at it

In the offseason, they'll lose at least three guys off the 40-Man Roster, in addition to all of their free agents not returning AND a guy for whomever they call up for September. None of those three has to be brought up now, so we may only see one or none of those guys in September.

Players have to be brought off 60-Day DL for off season. So that means 10 guys off the 60-Day DL. Which means as many as 10 spots need to be opened.

However, of those 60-Day DL guys, Richards is a FA, and Wood is a FA, so that's two spots. I doubt Shoemaker is tendered, so that is 3. Lamb, is also likely to be non-tendered / DFA. That's 4.

Rivera is a FA That's 5. So still 5 spots for guys off the 60-Day DL.

Johnson is a FA, Young is a FA, EY is a FA, and Valbuena has an option. That's 4 more.

So either one other guy on the 40-Man is DFA. Likely Marte or Cowart or a Reliever.

The only way they bring up Renfigio, Ward or Thaiss is if they DFA Marte, Chris Young, Valbuena, or a pitcher.

Edited by Hubs

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

In the offseason, they'll lose at least three guys off the 40-Man Roster, in addition to all of their free agents not returning AND a guy for whomever they call up for September. None of those three has to be brought up now, so we may only see one or none of those guys in September.

Players have to be brought off 60-Day DL for off season. So that means 10 guys off the 60-Day DL. Which means as many as 10 spots need to be opened.

However, of those 60-Day DL guys, Richards is a FA, and Wood is a FA, so that's two spots. I doubt Shoemaker is tendered, so that is 3. Lamb, is also likely to be non-tendered / DFA. That's 4.

Johnson is a FA, Young is a FA, EY is a FA, and Valbuena has an option. That's 4 more.

So either one other guy on the 40-Man is DFA. Likely Marte or Cowart or a Reliever.

The only way they bring up Renfigio, Ward or Thaiss is if they DFA Marte, Chris Young, Valbuena, or a pitcher.

I thought they signed Wood to a 2 year deal this past offseason?

36 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I legitimately forgot he was still with the organization.  DFA that dude ASAP.  Literally no reason for him to still be on the 40-man.

Ya, I didn't really understand that move. They had EY and also Blash. Plus Hermosilio, and Carter even at that point.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

I don't think Noe Ramirez returns

JC Ramirez could be a non tender candidate

I could also see Parker being moved during August.

In the offseason, the offense while needing to be addressed, probably doesn't get a lot of free agent acquisitions. They need a lefty bat somewhere to replace Valbuena. Maybe that's Thaiss.

The Angels with a healthy Ohtani at DH/SP have a unique roster construction. How do you think it is filled?

I say you have 12 non-Ohtani Pitchers and 12 non-Ohtani Hitters.

The non-Ohtani pitchers are likely to be:

SP Skaggs, SP Heaney, SP Tropeano, SP Barria, SP Meyer, CL Parker, RP Bedrosian, RP Alvarez, RP Anderson, RP Robles, RP TBD, RP TBD

I think they'll rotate a few names through those last two RP spots.

The non-Ohtani hitters are likely to be:

CF Trout, RF Upton, LF Calhoun, 1B Pujols, SS Simmons, 3B Cozart, C TBD, C Briceno, INF Fletcher, INF Cowart, INF Thaiss, OF Hermosillio/Blash.

They've got to find a catcher, and unless they add another big name, I can the non-SS infield rotating between Fletcher, Cowart, Thaiss, Ward, Cozart, Fernandez and Renfigo.

I really don't see a downside to the Kinsler deal ---

even if Valbuena starts every game at third base from  now to the end of the season.

2018 is pretty much 'yesterday' it's done and gone.

we got two pen guys under club control for five/ six years in exchange for a veteran second baseman who was a F/A and not coming back here. And we save half of Kinsler's salary for August/ September.

Nothing but PLUS in that equation.  Even if only one of the pen guys ever pitches for us and is only middling to below average.

If coward wants a job next year, whether here or anywhere else, he'd better stand and deliver. He's a dime a dozen kind of player who needs to distinguish himself in some way.

i don't see him being an angel next year.

15 hours ago, Lou said:

I've said this before, but @Hubs needs to post here more often 

Sarcasm?

Still, I've been posting here since the beginning, but never as often as some folks. I appreciate the sentiment, even if you're being sarcastic.

19 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

What does Valbuena have on Scioscia to still have a roster spot. He serves no purpose. Cowart should play third until the Amgels decide to bring up Ward. 

I would love to see Valbuena’s pictures of Sosh eating his Ziti in the nude. 

He's got a pee tape.