• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What would you give up for Realmuto?

8 minutes ago, TroutField said:

1. Canning wasn’t part of his trade package. 

2. Jones/Maitan/Suarez/Marsh aren’t on any top 100 prospect lists... but if you can find one be my guest.

No thanks. Look for yourself 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jones and Marsh are top 100.  Maitan and Suarez are on some top 100 lists.  

the two prospects from the nats are legit thought.  Robles is top 5 and Kieboom is in the 30/40 range.  

I haven’t seen any top 100 lists with Maitan or Suarez on them. And I think Suarez’s performance so far in AAA has kinda dulled his shine a little bit. 

4 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I haven’t seen any top 100 lists with Maitan or Suarez on them. And I think Suarez’s performance so far in AAA has kinda dulled his shine a little bit. 

Maitan is on MLB top 100 and I think Baseball Prospectus. Suarez is #86 on  Baseball America and I wanna say Fangraphs but not a 100% sure 

5 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Maitan is on MLB top 100 and I think Baseball Prospectus. Suarez is #86 on  Baseball America and I wanna say Fangraphs but not a 100% sure 

Maitan is not on MLB’s top 100 and I can’t find Suarez on any top 100s. Regardless, the Marlins would need to have at least one of Adell or Canning in order to make a deal for Realmuto. He’s really their last good trade chip outside of their controllable relievers. 

38 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Maitan is not on MLB’s top 100 and I can’t find Suarez on any top 100s. Regardless, the Marlins would need to have at least one of Adell or Canning in order to make a deal for Realmuto. He’s really their last good trade chip outside of their controllable relievers. 

Just saw that they replaced Maitan with Canning in MLB.com list. Suarez was #86 in BA’s top 100 as recent as the beginning of the month. Idk what it’ll take, but I’m ok with moving any prospect not named Adell or Canning. 

8 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I would be willing to give up Jose Briceno, Jam Jones, Kevin Maitan, and Brandon Marsh for Realmuto.

I don't know if that is too much or too little.

If Jose Suarez had to be part of that deal, I would probably still do it.

It's too much. Realmuto is good but he only has two more years of control. You could build a package around Jahmai Jones and tack on two mid-tier quality prospects with perhaps a Jose Briceno or other lesser value prospect/player.

7 hours ago, floplag said:

Its times like this when i dont get what would satisfy some people here.  
Realmuto is the top catcher in baseball per WAR, by over a point.    Hes 27.  He has 2 more years of control.  Hes getting paid peanuts. 
Yet this is still a person you wouldnt trade some of the top prospects for?  Really?   
I mean no you send them all packing but if you could send one in the top 5, another in the top 10, and another in the top 20-25, how do you not make that deal? 
Especially when were talking about a position we have literally no significant depth at. 
Youre going into '19 with Briceno and Graterol at this point.  
If thats not something you at least consider very strongly then there is literally noone you would trade for.

Im not suggesting its realistic or that Mia would do it but the comments here about whose untouchable in a deal with the above characteristics are baffling to me. 

Its more about depth. Sure, hes a very good player. Landing him would take adell and canning (likely) plus more (likely).

That would leave us back at square 1. Wed have a nice new catcher, but no trout insurance, and zero pitching to look forward to. 

So its not that he wouldnt be a great fit...but he wouldnt put us over the top, and the cost would likely negate the gain.

1 hour ago, SoWhat said:

Just saw that they replaced Maitan with Canning in MLB.com list. Suarez was #86 in BA’s top 100 as recent as the beginning of the month. Idk what it’ll take, but I’m ok with moving any prospect not named Adell or Canning. 

I would too. I’d be totally willing to send a package of Jones, Suarez, and Hermosillo. I don’t know about sending them Marsh though because we are only getting 2 seasons of control. 

Would the Marlins go for a package like that? I don’t think so. But it’s a fair one, IMO

I am continually surprised by who the Angels aquifer to play catcher. I thought I knew their preferences but I think it was wrong, or if not wrong, than too generalized.

I thought a Scioscia ran team would always prefer to go with a veteran that's worked with pitchers before and has a good relationship with them, is a plus defender and detailed in their preparation. 

Basically everything that Mike Scioscia was as a player. The Molinas fit that mold, as did Mathis, so did Iannetta, as Maldonado.

Younger guys weren't a preferred way of leading the staff, which is why Bandy was dealt. 

And Napoli....just no.

I think Eppler and Scioscia are probably in agreement that the catcher should be a defensive first position, but the manner in which we fill it can be different.

The Angels have targeted guys like Arcia, and Briceno as throw ins in trades, and haven't been shy about promoting them.

If the Angels feel Arcia and Briceno can handle he staff, I could see that combo beingbour catching tandem for the next couple years.

It isn't a sexy offensive option like trading for Realmuto or signing Grandal, but it may be just as productive as Maldonado and Perez/Soto are.

Having said that, if it were me, I'd see if the Padres had any interest in trading Hedges. That guy is a lot better than I think anyone outside of Southern California realizes.

16 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Having said that, if it were me, I'd see if the Padres had any interest in trading Hedges. That guy is a lot better than I think anyone outside of Southern California realizes.

I strongly suspect he's on their radar. I imagine the Padres may not be ready to throw Mejia into the fire, so maybe it doesn't happen until next deadline, but I definitely think Eppler is watching that situation closely.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its more about depth. Sure, hes a very good player. Landing him would take adell and canning (likely) plus more (likely).

That would leave us back at square 1. Wed have a nice new catcher, but no trout insurance, and zero pitching to look forward to. 

So its not that he wouldnt be a great fit...but he wouldnt put us over the top, and the cost would likely negate the gain.

i dont think it would take both of them, either or sure, but not even i would give 2 in the top 5.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

i dont think it would take both of them, either or sure, but not even i would give 2 in the top 5.

I’d include one of the top five, but I wouldn’t give up Adell or Canning.  Not because I don’t value Realmuto, I just see both of those guys being near All Star level and I favor home grown to acquisitions when they have that type of potential.  So if we could put together a package that included Jones and Marsh and another guy or two and get Realmuto and one of their young power arms in the pen, that would be good.  My first choice would be to add through free agency and keep our talent to trade for other upgrades.  

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d include one of the top five, but I wouldn’t give up Adell or Canning.  Not because I don’t value Realmuto, I just see both of those guys being near All Star level and I favor home grown to acquisitions when they have that type of potential.  So if we could put together a package that included Jones and Marsh and another guy or two and get Realmuto and one of their young power arms in the pen, that would be good.  My first choice would be to add through free agency and keep our talent to trade for other upgrades.  

i wholly agree, i suspect however that Mia would not :)  If we could swing it without losing Adell/Canning i do it yesterday

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'm warming to the idea of signing Grandal

Im certainly not opposed, pending terms of course :)  

Interesting question though, which would you prefer:
A)  Trading to Realmuto IF you could do it without losing Adell/Canning
Or
Signing Grandal knowing your probably looking at a 3/30 type deal or more?

I think i would do A and put the extra 5-7 mil per elsewhere given choice.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im certainly not opposed, pending terms of course :)  

Interesting question though, which would you prefer:
A)  Trading to Realmuto IF you could do it without losing Adell/Canning
Or
Signing Grandal knowing your probably looking at a 3/30 type deal or more?

I think i would do A and put the extra 5-7 mil per elsewhere given choice.

I would do B without a doubt.  It gives you someone who is about 1 win less than the other guy and you still have the 3-4 prospects you gave up that you could use to upgrade somewhere else.  

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would do B without a doubt.  It gives you someone who is about 1 win less than the other guy and you still have the 3-4 prospects you gave up that you could use to upgrade somewhere else.  

Fair enough, i guess it comes down to prospects vs money and trades vs FA

Just now, floplag said:

Fair enough, i guess it comes down to prospects vs money and trades vs FA

To me it does.  Arte doesn't mind spending money, he is constantly close to the threshold.  After this season we have 6 guys making over $10 million a season.  They can add.  They will be shedding Richards, Valbuena, Kinsler and Johnson, that is close to $35 million in salaries.  They will be paying league minimum to Fletcher and Ohtani and our bullpen and Barria.  Skaggs and Heaney will get a bump.  They will have a lot of affordable guys.  

Grandal is 30, so 3/30 to 3/36 is the most he should be offered.

But He'll likely get more from the Dodgers. The Phillies could bring back Ramos, but he makes sense too.

Realmuto is going to bring back what they got for Yelich. That was 4 quality pieces, including Brinson. The trade doesn't look good right now, but in a year or two, who knows.

The equivalent is likely Kruger?, Marsh, Suarez and Rivas.

Grandal will likely receive something similar to the Brian McCann deal (5 years, $85M). He is a year older than McCann was when he signed but 3 or 4 years have passed since Brian inked his deal so inflation will kick in a bit too. 5/$90 is probably in the ballpark, although there is a hefty supply of fairly good catchers to choose from this coming off-season (which is why Eppler will probably buy at least one quality receiver).