• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What would you give up for Realmuto?

I don't know if you can make a deal without including Adell or Canning, and honestly, as good as Realmuto is, I can't give up either in a deal for him.

Much like the bullpen, Eppler has been able to find very good defensive production, and solid production overall, at catcher for so little, it'd surprise me to see this be where he decided to expend a big price to fix a hole. 

I think he will turn to FA - either Grandal who is solid defensively and as much a plus offensively as Realmuto - or a Maldonado reunion. 
Barring that, I could see Austin Hedges or Tucker Barnhart as trade targets, or another replication of the Maldonado deal - snagging a solid back-up who is overlooked and giving them the reins for a year or two.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don't know if you can make a deal without including Adell or Canning, and honestly, as good as Realmuto is, I can't give up either in a deal for him.

Much like the bullpen, Eppler has been able to find very good defensive production, and solid production overall, at catcher for so little, it'd surprise me to see this be where he decided to expend a big price to fix a hole. 

I think he will turn to FA - either Grandal who is solid defensively and as much a plus offensively as Realmuto - or a Maldonado reunion. 
Barring that, I could see Austin Hedges or Tucker Barnhart as trade targets, or another replication of the Maldonado deal - snagging a solid back-up who is overlooked and giving them the reins for a year or two.

Why do we need Realmuto we have Arcia!

2 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I would be willing to give up Jose Briceno, Jam Jones, Kevin Maitan, and Brandon Marsh for Realmuto.

I don't know if that is too much or too little.

If Jose Suarez had to be part of that deal, I would probably still do it.

I don't think Briceno would have much bearing on the deal - I'd actually like to keep him (and perhaps Arcia, not quite sold on him yet) on the 40-man as our 2nd and 3rd guys until Kruger is ready. 

Jones, Maitan, and Marsh is a pretty solid offer for Realmuto. Adding Suarez pushes it a little too far for my taste, but Miami would probably entertain either offer.

Angels won 2002 WS with Benji hitting .245/.274 with 5hrs and 47 rbi's so don't think catcher is the Angels need for 2019. 

Would rather resign Maldonado and wouldn't it be great to get a solid lefty minor leaguer from Houston for the trade and resign Maldonado?

Getting an Ace and closer are the needs.

Adding Fletcher to the line up and exiling Valbuena to the deep bench has been the spark for the offense which hopefully continues on this season into 2019 plus Ohtani will have a year under his belt at DH.

Would only trade Adell if it brings back an ace like Chris Sale like Boston did trading Moncada and not sure I'd trade Adell anyways.  May need him to replace Trout in the near future...hopefully not but who knows.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don't think Briceno would have much bearing on the deal - I'd actually like to keep him (and perhaps Arcia, not quite sold on him yet) on the 40-man as our 2nd and 3rd guys until Kruger is ready. 

Jones, Maitan, and Marsh is a pretty solid offer for Realmuto. Adding Suarez pushes it a little too far for my taste, but Miami would probably entertain either offer.

If Miami insisted on Suarez in that trade, I would ask for bullpen help.

Griffin Canning is off limits.

Its times like this when i dont get what would satisfy some people here.  
Realmuto is the top catcher in baseball per WAR, by over a point.    Hes 27.  He has 2 more years of control.  Hes getting paid peanuts. 
Yet this is still a person you wouldnt trade some of the top prospects for?  Really?   
I mean no you send them all packing but if you could send one in the top 5, another in the top 10, and another in the top 20-25, how do you not make that deal? 
Especially when were talking about a position we have literally no significant depth at. 
Youre going into '19 with Briceno and Graterol at this point.  
If thats not something you at least consider very strongly then there is literally noone you would trade for.

Im not suggesting its realistic or that Mia would do it but the comments here about whose untouchable in a deal with the above characteristics are baffling to me. 

@floplag - I’d rather trade top prospects for players that we either can’t develop or acquire sufficiently on the cheap.

Eppler has snagged a Gold Glove/borderline All-Star for Jett Bandy, a potential long-term back-up catcher in Briceno as a thrown-in, and really done pretty well for what you’d need and want from guys like Arcia, Soto, Rivera without surrendering much.

Realmuto is obviously a huge step up from those guys - but is it worth paying a premium for him when you get get 2+ WAR for virtually nothing in lesser players? If we had a deeper farm and could offer a couple Top 100 prospects like the Braves or Yankees or Blue Jays could, hell yeah, but we don’t. I’d rather get a stud SP, hold, or find a similarly dynamic young hitter to help fill out the infield or outfield - allowing us more flexibility with the prospects we could afford to deal.

33 minutes ago, TroutField said:

That’s not even a good enough package if Suarez was added. Miami was asking for two top 100 prospects from the Nats. 

Jones and Marsh are top 100.  Maitan and Suarez are on some top 100 lists.  

the two prospects from the nats are legit thought.  Robles is top 5 and Kieboom is in the 30/40 range.  

55 minutes ago, TroutField said:

That’s not even a good enough package if Suarez was added. Miami was asking for two top 100 prospects from the Nats. 

Huh? Jones, Marsh, Maitan, Suarez, Canning are all on various top 100 lists

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

@floplag - I’d rather trade top prospects for players that we either can’t develop or acquire sufficiently on the cheap.

Eppler has snagged a Gold Glove/borderline All-Star for Jett Bandy, a potential long-term back-up catcher in Briceno as a thrown-in, and really done pretty well for what you’d need and want from guys like Arcia, Soto, Rivera without surrendering much.

Realmuto is obviously a huge step up from those guys - but is it worth paying a premium for him when you get get 2+ WAR for virtually nothing in lesser players? If we had a deeper farm and could offer a couple Top 100 prospects like the Braves or Yankees or Blue Jays could, hell yeah, but we don’t. I’d rather get a stud SP, hold, or find a similarly dynamic young hitter to help fill out the infield or outfield - allowing us more flexibility with the prospects we could afford to deal.

2 WAR for nothing?   There are exactly 4 qualified catchers in baseball with a WAR over 2, assuming Briceno will give us that is best case scenario and then some in all likelyhood.

2016: Bandy (1), Perez (0.5), Soto (0.4), Graterol (0.2) = 2.1

2017: Maldonado (1.7), Graterol (0.0), Perez (-0.2) = 1.5

2018: Maldonado (0.5), Arcia (0.4 lol), Rivera (0.3), Briceno (0.2), Graterol (0.2) = 1.6 and counting...or declining.

For the record I don't think WAR is an end all be all, but it's a decent evaluator of productivity. Realmuto is averaging 3.1, and Eppler is pulling in 1.5-2 with guys he finds for nothing right now. Again, I don't buy WAR as the best stat to use here, but generally speaking, he's doing well at finding productive players for virtual pennies, and I'm not sure the massive prospect haul Realmuto will take is worth the cost. 

He's absolutely an improvement, but not at the cost in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Maldonado wasn't very good this year. Grandal would be a nice upgrade

Maldy's defense slipped a bit. There were some signs of trouble. I'd still be fine seeing him re-signed but also understand the move. 

Grandal would be nice. Ramos is interesting too. Hedges, James McCann, and Barnhart are potential trade targets. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a complete no-name Eppler is eyeing too (Narvaez? Elias Diaz?) as a way to replicate the Maldonado deal, which was fairly brilliant in hindsight.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

That's insane 

That's exactly why WAR isn't the best way to assess. It's decent as a catch-all productivity quantifier, but that's about it, and it is extremely flawed when used in small sample size cases.

Maldonado as 1 WAR? Fair. Grandal as 2? Also fair. Realmuto 3? Fair.

Arcia being half one Maldonado in two games? Ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That's exactly why WAR isn't the best way to assess. It's decent as a catch-all productivity quantifier, but that's about it, and it is extremely flawed when used in small sample size cases.

But just think if he get 30 more starts....

Fletcher having 1.2 WAR already is also ridiculous - but if he maintains for another couple weeks, it starts to feel like an accurate assessment. 

Overall, I just use WAR as a easy glancing measurement of a player's overall productivity, and I'm happy with what Eppler has done with the catching unit so far. We need help elsewhere, and I'm confident Eppler can again deliver a good catching tandem in '19 for cheap.

I think a fair trade package for Realmuto would be something like Jones, Marsh, and Suarez. Realmuto is one of the best catchers in the majors, young and under club control for a bit. Those three are all pretty much the definition of "Grade B" prospects: none are elite, but all are in the 75-125 range.

That said, I wouldn't do it. Very tempted, but I'd rather wait and spend the money on Grandal or Ramos, and if that fails than do what @totdprods is suggesting and assemble a bargain 1.5-2 catching corps. Who knows, Briceno and Ancia could be it.

By the way, the 1.2 Fletcher WAR is one of the reasons I prefer Fangraphs' version, which has him at 0.9. BR's version tends to over-value defense, in my opinion.