• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can you imagine being traded?

For us regular folks it sounds terrifying but for them not as much. Yes, moving across the country can be a big tiresome and taking kids out of school or just having to move kids/pets etc. is rough. But for athletes it wouldn't be near as terrifying. You are making boat loads of money and every aspect of the move is done for you. You just have to be at place X at Y time. Us regular folks have to do much more work I imagine.

5 minutes ago, calscuf said:

You wouldn’t play professional baseball for half a million a year?

No I don’t think I would.  It isn’t life changing money.  Dude I HATE the 8-10 nights I spend away from home a year now.   Imagine the nonsense dudes like you and me say on here being made public and that kind of faux outrage scrutiny.  No thanks, it isn’t worth it.  It’s easy to look at the good parts.   

9 hours ago, stormngt said:

Imagine being a rookie on the Astros and then being traded to the Marlins

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

Intellectually that would be like going to sleep as Dochalo and waking up as MAGA. 

giphy (17).gif

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

No I don’t think I would.  It isn’t life changing money.  Dude I HATE the 8-10 nights I spend away from home a year now.   Imagine the nonsense dudes like you and me say on here being made public and that kind of faux outrage scrutiny.  No thanks, it isn’t worth it.  It’s easy to look at the good parts.   

half a mil per would be life-changing for me and many others, so that would be enough incentive for me to start out down that path. i'd love to have been a pro baseball player. the travel wouldn't have bothered me at all, plus it was the chance to play ball every single day. that would have been phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Half a million a year for 3-4 years is absolutely life changing money for most people. Would take many 25-30 years to make that kind of money at a regular job for A LOT of Americans

I get your point though

48 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Not if your a rookie like in my hypotheotical.

Rookies make $500,000 this year. That's 10 times what I'm making in my early 20s. Plus the pension the MLB gives you if you play the required amount of games to qualify for it.

Even in your hypothetical it is a lot of money.

If you never make it to the show, it sucks. I totally agree with that

36 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Rookies make $500,000 this year. That's 10 times what I'm making in my early 20s. Plus the pension the MLB gives you if you play the required amount of games to qualify for it.

Even in your hypothetical it is a lot of money.

If you never make it to the show, it sucks. I totally agree with that

First 500k is far less than 7 million that you suggested.

Second, a profession 5.7 years.  

Most other professions work for over 30 years.

Yes they are paid well but your jealousy because you dont make as much as them is really stupid.

They make the money because they are specially skilled at that age.  A skill that erodes through age.

So yes, I will feel sorry for a rookie making 500 k who is thi king they have a chance to live a dream by playing for a world title (with playoff bonuses...since money is a big factor to you) and then gets traded to a crappy team.

55 minutes ago, stormngt said:

First 500k is far less than 7 million that you suggested.

Second, a profession 5.7 years.  

Most other professions work for over 30 years.

Yes they are paid well but your jealousy because you dont make as much as them is really stupid.

They make the money because they are specially skilled at that age.  A skill that erodes through age.

So yes, I will feel sorry for a rookie making 500 k who is thi king they have a chance to live a dream by playing for a world title (with playoff bonuses...since money is a big factor to you) and then gets traded to a crappy team.

OK, and in those 5.7 years playing at the big league level they make more than most make at other professions in 30 years. That's my point. Even making the league minimum. I'm not even jealous (that much), I'm just stating the facts. GDP per capita in this country is 57 thousand. I'll ignore taxes for the sake of this debate: 57,000 times 30 = 1.7 million. 500,000 times 5 = 2.5 million. Not to mention the savings from early investment and compound interest. How is that not life changing? Obviously they have a skill I don't possess, thanks for stating the obvious.

I find it very weird that you feel sorry for anyone who has made it to the show. Like you said, they're living their dream.

Here is the difference between making money at the MLB level and your 30 year career individuals. Even if say you make $10 million over those 30 years you have much less to invest from your paycheck than if that money came over a 5 year period. 

Yes, you could be your average athlete and spend it on a house that you can't afford the taxes on after your career is over or on hookers and blow. But if you use conservative smart money management you are probably retiring at 29 in better shape than the guy that is crowding 60, still looking at five more years to fill his out IRA account. At worst you have to take a coaching job for a few years or get an a part time announcing gig, sell some car insurance or something to supplement your income rather than have to grind out every year until 65.

There is big rewards to making a 5 year run in MLB. Not so much at your average desk job hoping to make supervisor before 40.

52 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

OK, and in those 5.7 years playing at the big league level they make more than most make at other professions in 30 years. That's my point. Even making the league minimum. I'm not even jealous (that much), I'm just stating the facts. GDP per capita in this country is 57 thousand. I'll ignore taxes for the sake of this debate: 57,000 times 30 = 1.7 million. 500,000 times 5 = 2.5 million. Not to mention the savings from early investment and compound interest. How is that not life changing? Obviously they have a skill I don't possess, thanks for stating the obvious.

I find it very weird that you feel sorry for anyone who has made it to the show. Like you said, they're living their dream.

And they are especially skilled.  That's why they get paid more! And they should be paid that be abuse they ate especially skilled!

The average worker in USA are not that special in their work skills.

7 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I imagine being traded would be tougher if you were gay, right laagaymer?

LOL, he left himself open for that.

It's like you won't let me forget about Bixby Knolls when I happened to mention once that it was a hot day there.

He should lighten up and go with it. Life is too short to be taken too seriously.

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

or like 95% of professional ball players - 25k and bus rides to work.  

And free food, and medical care.  Plus you get to pick a wife from about a few thousand adoring candidates, or pick none at all and get to sleep with about the same number.

45 minutes ago, stormngt said:

And they are especially skilled.  That's why they get paid more! And they should be paid that be abuse they ate especially skilled!

The average worker in USA are not that special in their work skills.

Right, you deserve what the market dictates. So why on Earth do you feel bad for ball players?

I think you are missing my point, so I will move on