• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Former Halo Newcomb pitching gem vs. LA DOGs NOW

99% of the time the difference between a no hitter and even a two hitter is completely trivial. . .like one or two ground balls 6 inches in one direction or the other.

I am not really that big a fan of a no-hitter because of this.  It's not that I don't respect the pitcher definitely was a beast that day, it's just that it is likely he was exactly as dominant as a guy that threw a two hitter.

This oddly one reason why I love Nolan Ryan.  Yes we all know he threw 7 no hitters but he also threw 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters.

That is 37 times he threw a two hitter or better.

I am sure he was more sharp and dominant in some of those 1 and 2 hitters than some if his no hitters.

Ryan never backed down and challenged you.  So fun to watch.

Joe Cowley once threw a no hitter with 7 walks.  Not impressive.  But technically whippee!  A no hitter!!

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

99% of the time the difference between a no hitter and even a two hitter is completely trivial. . .like one or two ground balls 6 inches in one direction or the other.

I am not really that big a fan of a no-hitter because of this.  It's not that I don't respect the pitcher definitely was a beast that day, it's just that it is likely he was exactly as dominant as a guy that threw a two hitter.

This oddly one reason why I love Nolan Ryan.  Yes we all know he threw 7 no hitters but he also threw 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters.

That is 37 times he threw a two hitter or better.

I am sure he was more sharp and dominant in some of those 1 and 2 hitters than some if his no hitters.

Ryan never backed down and challenged you.  So fun to watch.

Joe Cowley once threw a no hitter with 7 walks.  Not impressive.  But technically whippee!  A no hitter!!

This article (NYT blog post) supports some of what you're saying but Nolan Ryan definitely walked plenty in his no-hitters, particularly no-hitters #1-4.

https://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/nolan-ryans-no-hit-no-walk-games/