• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

King Tut/Endeavor

12 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Since seeing this I've been pondering a question more and more: at what point does archeology end and grave robbing begin?

They always talk about what a tragedy it is that so many tombs were raised but what makes it any different when archeologists are the tomb raiders?

At the exhibit they explained how important all the tomb artifacts were to the deceased. So important that people dedicated their lives to preparing it all. It seems mind blowingly disrespectful to the dead to clean out their tombs while knowing it was their deeply held desire in life to be laid to rest the way they were. And if that's not enough they put their mummified bodies on display in glass boxes. 

Just confusing.

my guess is that they remove all the artifacts now to preserve their history (it's a fascinating story) and to prevent tomb raiders from stealing and possibly destroying important historic artifacts in the interests of making money.

yes, egypt and others are making money off of these tomb tours, but the artifacts are at least being preserved this way instead of being destroyed or lost or melted down. humans don't have a very good track record at protecting a lot of things (see the current alarming crisis of elephant tusks or decreasing tiger populations for example).

2 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

That's the thing...I'm just explaining what I've been thinking about the difference between grave robbing and archeology. I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do, just raising questions.

I'm not sure you understand what archeology of the modern era is. Before the 1900's it was a form of grave robbery, the artifacts often kept in private estates not associated with any scientific research or preservation. That is not what archeology is today. Their main interest is preservation and responsible non destructive research while keeping the artifacts secure from public exploitation. This is how history can be revealed and ancient times understood. 

@Vladdylonglegs makes AW.com great again.  This place would be boring without him.  

BTW Vladdy.  You could be on to something.  What makes a shipwreck treasure hunter not a looter?  That they give back to whoever lost whatever?  For instance the Titanic.  That is constantly getting looted as we speak.  They are not archeologist or historians.  They are people looting with items showing up on Christies or some other auction site.  So what's the difference?  Spanish Galleons are constantly getting looted.  I know of one off the coast of Calolfornia, that people are looking for.  But their treasure after a storm washes up on a beach.  And I assure you, nobody is returning those dablooms to grave robbers, err archeologists and historians.