• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Innings Limits on Skaggs and Heaney

Are innings limits going to be imposed on Skaggs and Heaney this year, especially if we fall further out of the race? Or will the Angels just find ways to skip their starts here and there. These guys haven’t pitched many innings in their career, so I guess it’s a possibility. I am hoping it’s not like a strict Strasburg shut down. Thoughts?

Full disclaimer: I may be a dumbass with this view. That said... 

I start them every turn the rest of the way. Both have had injury issues over the years. Rather than mitigate the risk, I want to know how much risk there is. If they break down again, that's important info. I'm sick of going into seasons thinking "finally the pitching is healthy" only to discover that our previously made of glass pitchers are shockingly still made of glass. If they're injury prone, Eppler needs to know so he can plan accordingly. 

33 minutes ago, 101halo said:

Full disclaimer: I may be a dumbass with this view. That said... 

I start them every turn the rest of the way. Both have had injury issues over the years. Rather than mitigate the risk, I want to know how much risk there is. If they break down again, that's important info. I'm sick of going into seasons thinking "finally the pitching is healthy" only to discover that our previously made of glass pitchers are shockingly still made of glass. If they're injury prone, Eppler needs to know so he can plan accordingly. 

Fatigue is the greastest contributor towards injury.   There are ways to have them continue to gain strength without exposing them to possible injury.   Every pitcher in MLB is one pitch away from being retired, no matter what their health history has been.

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Fatigue is the greastest contributor towards injury.   There are ways to have them continue to gain strength without exposing them to possible injury.   Every pitcher in MLB is one pitch away from being retired, no matter what their health history has been.

I know and agree that that's the generally accepted view, is there any research that backs that up? I feel like we've babied our pitchers more than most and it hasn't paid off. Could just be awful luck, but I'm starting to question the conventional wisdom barring additional evidence. 

2 hours ago, 101halo said:

I know and agree that that's the generally accepted view, is there any research that backs that up? I feel like we've babied our pitchers more than most and it hasn't paid off. Could just be awful luck, but I'm starting to question the conventional wisdom barring additional evidence. 

Research as it pertains to us or pitchers in general?...    Because the research on usage and injury pretty overwhelmingly concludes fatigue (due to usage), is THE biggest factor.    People like to bring up Nolan Ryan but, the list of prominent pitchers that broke down after heavy usage is rather significant.

Not sure that any team has found a way to avoid pitcher injuries so, no clue if there is anyone the Angels should be looking to emulate, but the Chicago White Sox have been either lucky or good at avoiding them in recent years.   Or had been anyway.